Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

My list keeps growing.

We have a 40 Ft. Sandpiper that is, as far as I'm concerned.....a lemon.
We have actually used it for only 8 months, in the past two years. We have a list of over 30 things that have been wrong with it. So far, our dealer has been very good about getting everything fixed, but we should not have had this many problems. Our RV is in AZ, but we live in IN, so we couldn't attend the FROG rally. Our lights and the RV are melting the plastic housings. I wonder how long before we have a burnt up RV. Hopefully we won't be in it if that happens. We have asked that Forest River change all the lights to LED lights, but were told they will only change the to what we had before. That is NOT solving the melting problem. I would not recommend a Sandpiper to anyone else, even though they are a beautiful RV.

What can be done to get these lights changed to LED lights before we have a double funeral from a fire?
braun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Always Learning

IMO, changing to LEDs isn't fixing the problem. Something is allowing the lights to run hot and melt their housings. I'd try to find the solution to that before changing just the bulbs.

But, alas- that is the extent of my helpfulness as I know zero about electricity other than it's magical and lets me power all of my heart's desires.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #3

Maybe look for reflectors in the housings or lack there of. Should be a cardboard with aluminum coating which keeps the bulb from melting the back side of the light housing.

If it is melting the lens then it might be getting to much voltage say higher than 14.4 volts.

You could also run a cooler temp bulb but that will provide less lite.

These are just things to check.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Smile Hot light fixtures/Cool LED.s

We also had the same problem in our Ceder Creek. The light bulbs that come in the fixtures should not melt the plastic housing in the ceiling fixtures, but they did and I have the one I took out to show anyone that would like to see it. I have replaced one whole fixture with the LED lights and fixture and the one over the sink I just replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs. It doesn't get hot now and It would be nice to replace all the bulbs but that would cost over 500.00 to just replace the bulbs.
I know braun62 and I've seen their Sandpiper and it's a beautiful unit and it came with problems that are unimaginable. The light problem is scary for an elderly couple who might not move as fast as the rest of us. I think for nothing more then safety reasons FR should look into it and replace those fixtures with LED's that will cause no safety issue.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun62 View Post
We have a 40 Ft. Sandpiper that is, as far as I'm concerned.....a lemon.
We have actually used it for only 8 months, in the past two years. We have a list of over 30 things that have been wrong with it. So far, our dealer has been very good about getting everything fixed, but we should not have had this many problems. Our RV is in AZ, but we live in IN, so we couldn't attend the FROG rally. Our lights and the RV are melting the plastic housings. I wonder how long before we have a burnt up RV. Hopefully we won't be in it if that happens. We have asked that Forest River change all the lights to LED lights, but were told they will only change the to what we had before. That is NOT solving the melting problem. I would not recommend a Sandpiper to anyone else, even though they are a beautiful RV.

What can be done to get these lights changed to LED lights before we have a double funeral from a fire?
I just read about the problems tromler had with his Sandpiper and the end line was that FR helped get his unit squared away. He's a happy camper now.
Norris RV in Casa Grande has done a lot of work on that Sandpiper of yours and FR has covered it. Yours was a mess when they delivered it to your site and it's looking pretty good now. If they can just do something with your light fixtures now, that would be great. Hang in there braun62..

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

OK, guys, I have decided to contact Forest River. Their quality control is absent. They need to replace the bulbs in all our lights, or face a possible fire. Why can't someone help us??????
Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Forest River Accessories

Try and contact Jim Treadwell, he is the warranty administrator for Sandpiper, his email is jtreadwell@forestriverinc.com or you can call the Sandpiper division directly at 909-873-3777.
FRAcessories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by braun62 View Post
OK, guys, I have decided to contact Forest River. Their quality control is absent. They need to replace the bulbs in all our lights, or face a possible fire. Why can't someone help us??????
Have You checked for voltage at the lights as suggested?
Fr doesn't make the lights they just buy them and install them.
I'm not saying u don't have an issue but I've not heard of this complaint before.

If your converter is over charging that would put excessive voltage to lights making them burn brighter and hotter.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Have You checked for voltage at the lights as suggested?
Fr doesn't make the lights they just buy them and install them.
I'm not saying u don't have an issue but I've not heard of this complaint before.

If your converter is over charging that would put excessive voltage to lights making them burn brighter and hotter.

Turbs
She really has a valid complaint. I have one that I replaced with LED's and the OE light fixture is burnt and plastic backing melted. Another one over the sink is melted too and I changed the bulbs to the LED bulb and it works great with no heat. Those OE light fixtures really get hot and after they've been on for 15 min or so ya can't even touch them.
I have one here and I'll shoot a picture and stick it in here so you can see it.
braun62 and Peggy and I are neighbors in Casa Grande AZ during the winter months and they have lights that look just like ours. The LED's are cool to the touch no matter how long they've been on. This could be a fire hazard for them if one should burn. I can see why's she's a bit worried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4202.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	37912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	37913  

Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post

She really has a valid complaint. I have one that I replaced with LED's and the OE light fixture is burnt and plastic backing melted. Another one over the sink is melted too and I changed the bulbs to the LED bulb and it works great with no heat. Those OE light fixtures really get hot and after they've been on for 15 min or so ya can't even touch them.
I have one here and I'll shoot a picture and stick it in here so you can see it.
braun62 and Peggy and I are neighbors in Casa Grande AZ during the winter months and they have lights that look just like ours. The LED's are cool to the touch no matter how long they've been on. This could be a fire hazard for them if one should burn. I can see why's she's a bit worried.
Wrong bulb for fixture ?
What is the bulb number?

There's at least 15 different bulbs for the 900 series bulb.
All different wattages and lumens.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

For example a 921 bulb which would fit that housing is 18 watts a 912 bulb which looks identical is only 11 watts.
A 916 bulb is 7 watts.

Turbs
Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
For example a 921 bulb which would fit that housing is 18 watts a 912 bulb which looks identical is only 11 watts.
A 916 bulb is 7 watts.

Turbs
OK Turbs, I'll bite. Why are the wrong bulbs put in those lights and then put in the RV/s?? Looks to me if that's the case then FR needs to work with braun62 and change the lights in their Sandpiper.
Mine have already been changed.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

OK Turbs, I'll bite. Why are the wrong bulbs put in those lights and then put in the RV/s?? Looks to me if that's the case then FR needs to work with braun62 and change the lights in their Sandpiper.
Mine have already been changed.
I could only suspect the china men were hung over the day the assembled them

Do you suppose they could pull one out and see what number bulb is in them now?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
I could only suspect the china men were hung over the day the assembled them

Do you suppose they could pull one out and see what number bulb is in them now?
Hey Turbs, I'm back.. braun62 can't pull a buld out of theirs because they are in IN and the Sandpiper is in Casa Grande AZ.
I did pull the bulb out of ours and it's the 921..so if that one is too hot why would FR have them put in the light fixtures? Being the wrong bulb and being to hot is a fire hazard.. Sooo I would think braun62 needs to add this info to a letter to FR and get the problem corrected.
What da ya think Turbs??

Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Hey Turbs, I'm back.. braun62 can't pull a buld out of theirs because they are in IN and the Sandpiper is in Casa Grande AZ.
I did pull the bulb out of ours and it's the 921..so if that one is too hot why would FR have them put in the light fixtures? Being the wrong bulb and being to hot is a fire hazard.. Sooo I would think braun62 needs to add this info to a letter to FR and get the problem corrected.
What da ya think Turbs??
I think it should have been a 912.
My point is fr doesn't install the bulbs.
They buy the light complete ready to wire up and screw it to be he ceiling
Imo its the light fixture manufacturer whom put the bulbs in that may have messed up.

Thoughts.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #16

Smile

Quote:
I think it should have been a 912.
My point is fr doesn't install the bulbs.
They buy the light complete ready to wire up and screw it to be he ceiling
Imo its the light fixture manufacturer whom put the bulbs in that may have messed up.

Thoughts.
I agree with you 100 % There has got to be some product control on the assembly line. We toured the Ceder Creek assembly building and every thing going on those 5th wheels is placed at each section along the line. Someone must check to make sure the correct part for that Ceder Creek or Sandpiper is right.
Actually at this point there is nothing we can do but braun62 needs to contact them and hopefully they can change the bulbs to the right ones or use the LED's that most of the 2014 CC's are built with, hopefully the Sandpiper too.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAcessories View Post
Try and contact Jim Treadwell, he is the warranty administrator for Sandpiper, his email is jtreadwell@forestriverinc.com or you can call the Sandpiper division directly at 909-873-3777.

Thanks so much for the info. Will try to contact him next week.
THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #18

If you live in Indiana I would take it back to factory and park it out front and tell them to fix it if they do not stand out in front of it and tell everyone who goes buy how many probloms you are have with it bet will get fix right away
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkklops View Post
If you live in Indiana I would take it back to factory and park it out front and tell them to fix it if they do not stand out in front of it and tell everyone who goes buy how many probloms you are have with it bet will get fix right away
That Sandpiper has never been on the road except for the transport company to pull it from IN to AZ and then the two miles from the RV dealership to the RV park. It's parked at the RV Resort in Casa Grande AZ..
They can't take to the factory, in fact there it sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	37954  

Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #20

Take it to Indiana

Believe me, if I could, I would, but it's in AZ and will stay there. The dealership has been great about helping us, but evidently the factory told them they will only replace the bulbs that have melted tha housing, with the same bulbs. Does this make sense? NO! You don't replace a problem with a problem. Itsthewoofus had the same problem with his, but after the warranty was out. I think the factory should stand behind what the make and replace them with safer bulbs.
After all the problems we have had, it's the least they can do for us.
Braun62