Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

New to 5th Wheels- Picking up 2017 3275DBOK Tomorrow!

Hi,

My wife and I went from a tent in our early days to a used tent trailer. Then as we had a few more kids we purchased a used 29' travel trailer. Now, we are graduating to a new 32' Sandpiper that we purchased at the Seattle RV show a few weeks ago.

We pick it up tomorrow afternoon from Sumner RV and have been told we will spend a few hours with the "mechanic" going through all aspects of the trailer, inspecting it and learning how to operate everything. We will have a notebook to write down anything we feel is important and will have lots of questions.

I have found some information on the internet but wanted to ask this group if there is anything in particular I should look for when inspecting a new Sandpiper?

We decided not to purchase the expensive extended warranty, but will add the second year warranty from Forest River for $250. The dealer has not mentioned it yet, but I have been in contact with FR and am curious if the dealer will advise me that it is an option tomorrow.

I also decided to have slide awnings installed so I am very curious to see how well they performed that task at the dealer. I went back and forth on awnings but after reading a number of comments on here, decided to do it.

We will spend a night in the driveway to check things out and then in a few weeks we have an overnight trip booked about an hour from our home as a shakedown trip (Encore Resort-Mt. Hood Village in Welches, OR).

Thanks for having a great site and to all the folks who contribute valuable knowledge, I've learned a lot already (such as the second year FR warranty).

Thanks,

Chris & Tomalynn
Washougal, WA
CS98671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

First of all, congrats on your purchase. We love our 2016 Sandpiper 35ROK. We did purchase the more expensive extended warranty and am happy with that decision. I'm a computer geek and am handy with electrical/electronic issues, but not mechanical.

We did the driveway campout and then a shakedown cruise a week later. We have a seasonal site but also take it out on several trips each summer. We spent every weekend in the trailer last summer. We loved it! Enjoy!

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2016 Sandpiper 35ROK
Computer Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum from Wv
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Check everything, hook up water, run all faucets, check television, turn in stove and range burners, run AC and heat, get on roof and look at it very carefully, operate all slides, awning and jacks or leveling system. Make sure hot water tank is operating in both modes electric and gas. Check all cabinet doors. Make sure refrigerator works as well as microwave oven. Make sure all seating is good. Make sure they show you we're all breakers and fuses are located, request electrical diagram a must have item. Check exhaust fans and vents.
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Retired Army MSG!

You will love pulling the fiver. Backing up the turn radius is a little different but you will get used to it. Lot's more living space. Congrats and happy camping.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #7

Congratulations on your purchase. We finally upgraded to a fifth wheel last year, and it is working out great.

Your slide awnngs - are they awnings that extend outward from the side of the trailer, or
"slide toppers" that cover the tops of the slide structures when extended??
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
I go RV'ing not Camping

Congrats on your new trailer and welcome to forum from Canada
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #9

I know it is brand new but don't forget to go up onto the roof and inspect ALL of the areas where they have applied self leveling sealer to seal up any roof penetrations. Also the seams on all corners and along all edges. Most people don't think of climbing onto the roof for the inspection.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #10

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Sandpiper!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. We finally upgraded to a fifth wheel last year, and it is working out great.

Your slide awnngs - are they awnings that extend outward from the side of the trailer, or
"slide toppers" that cover the tops of the slide structures when extended??
They are (or should have been) slide toppers to keep debris and stuff from gathering on the top of the slides when open. As luck would have it, the dealer realized they ordered the wrong size the day before we were to pick it up. We told them to forget it and we will have them installed at a later date.

Chris
Old 03-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input. We did a good inspection and only found a few minor things that needed to be addressed. A broken plastic shelf in the refrigerator that the dealer will replace and a gas detector below the fridge that was mounted too close to a cabinet door, preventing it from fully opening (I decided to simply relocate it myself).

We have been operating the slides in the driveway and using the heater whenever we go in it to get it ready for our first overnight trip. So far, so good.

Overall we have been pleased with the buying experience but I did detect a change in demeanor when I made it clear I was not buying an extended warranty or purchasing gap insurance after the sales guy tried pushing them. After that, he was not as friendly.

The maintenance guy spend nearly two hours going over everything, answering questions, giving tips and showing us how everything worked. He taught me how to hook up the 5th wheel (my first time) and unhook it and really made the experience positive.

The sales guy from the RV show called me tonight to check on how everything was going. At this point, I would recommend Sumner RV.

Thanks again for the welcome and advice!
Chris
Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #13

Slide toppers are definitely a worthwhile investment. We have a new fifth wheel that needs toppers on its three slides. As soon as my financial advisor lets me know that we have the cash, we'll have them installed. Meanwhile, I will climb topside and brush off any debris that lands there.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 PM   #14

Since the trailer sat on their lot for three weeks after we purchased it and when we had time to pick it up (it as a few hours away), it seemed easier to have them install the toppers. Unfortunately for the dealer, they waited until the day before I was to pick it up to discover they ordered the incorrect size. They had nearly three weeks to put them on.

I cancelled the order (nearly a thousand dollars for parts/labor for two slides) and I will purchase (from Amazon most likely) and install them myself for hundreds less.

I've read that they also help keep water from pooling on top of the slides, which would be good up here in Washington state where it rains every day, or so it seems.

Chris
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum from upstate NY, sounds like you're well on your way to going camping. I'm just going to offer you good luck and have fun!! See you on the road, God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 AM   #16

Chris:

Unfortunately your situation is not uncommon in the RV Dealer environment. The dealership knew exactly what size toppers to order, and they left you in the lurch, and left your new purchase on their lot for three weeks before exposing their own error. Unacceptable.

I would have raised hell, and demanded that they fix their own mistake. You should not be inconvenienced by their own incompetence.

We have had similar experiences with dealerships that seem to lose all interest in their customers once the "Big Sale" is done. This attitude sucks. It needs to be exposed for what it is: Apathy.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #17

Chris,

We purchased the same trailer, quick question.... Did you get the auto-leveling option?
YYCBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBrad View Post
Chris,

We purchased the same trailer, quick question.... Did you get the auto-leveling option?
Auto level should be similar across the models. What kind of question do you have? Maybe post a new thread.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #19

Congrats and welcome from Lakewood, WA.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBrad View Post
Chris,

Yes, we did get the four point auto leveling system. So far it has worked great. Kinda amusing to watch it work as it does it's thing for a few minutes.

We've used our trailer on a handful of camping trips so far and are very happy with it. One was a nine day trip to CA and the others were weekend or long weekend trips.

We are using out trailer as much as possible since we bought a Thousand Trails zone pass and we plan to get our money's worth (the more we use it, the better deal it is)! Most likely will not renew as we like State Parks much better but I will say the TT campground in Bend, OR last week was pretty nice (but no state park).

We have a small house and our oldest son is home from college so the trailer is like having an addition added to the house that we can tow! That helped justify the cost.

Things I added:

TPMS to keep an eye on the trailer tire pressure and temperature.

Back up camera added to our Garmin GPS (no drilling the way I mounted it). Attached to an existing rear ladder screw, zip tied cable down the ladder and followed the frame to the front compartment where I hooked it to trailer power (toggle switch turns on camera and TPMS signal booster).

RVLock keyless door lock (even my 8 year old can lock and unlock the trailer without a key now).

Replaced bathroom and bedroom door handles with locking door knobs.

Adjustable water pressure regulator attached to city water inlet on trailer (not on water spigot at campground). Seems to work the same and now it can't be stolen inside the locked compartment.

Electric fireplace looks cool but puts out very little heat so we added a space heater to save on propane when we have hook ups.

MaxxAir II covers on both vents (so I can have the vents open even when it's raining if I choose to).

Motion activated lights in cabinets/closets and lots of containers that my wife added to keep things organized.

A few observations/issues:

Plugged the toilet on the first long trip really bad. Toilet plunger didn't help at all. Almost aborted the trip and returned home. Ended up buying a $9.00 snake and unclogging it that way. We weren't using enough water when flushing and kids were using way too much TP. No issues since then, but I keep the snake on board just in case (or to help a campground neighbor).

Outside kitchen is a waste of space (for us). I may remove it and use the area for storage. Same with the outside refrigerator. Maybe on long trips I'll put it back in but even on the nine day trip we didn't need it.

BBQ attached to the rear bumper is a cheap piece of .... Removed it on day one and it will remain unused and put back on when we get rid of the trailer. We use our Weber instead and it would be great if Forrest River would spend a few more dollars and add a quality bbq.

The bedroom reading lights are super bright. We do not use them because of that. Need to find a way to shield them so they are usable for reading. May try lining them with tin foil that has pin holes (saw that on line somewhere and am hoping it will work).

Not happy with the shower water pressure and an Oxygenics shower head (RV model on Amazon) was worse. I wonder if I ordered the wrong model as I see many people rave about the Oxygenics replacement. It didn't work for us so we are back to the factory one. (I have the water pressure regulator at 50 psi).

The front gray water dump handle is very hard to pull and push back in. Lubrication doesn't help. I may try to fix it myself by removing the underside cover and seeing if the problem is cable routing or something under there. Or at the end of the the camping season, I may have the dealer address it. The black and 2nd gray dump handles work fine.

The tank level indicators are pretty worthless. That was expected but it's still annoying on a new trailer.

After a couple of camping trips I decided to check the smoke detector. It didn't work! I removed the cover and discovered a plastic film on the battery that had to be removed (must keep it from working until the dealer preps the trailer to keep the battery fresh). Anyway, I'm going to add a second and maybe third smoke detector and additional fire extinguishers. I'm not happy with myself for not testing it before the first camping trip.

Ventilation fan in bathroom sometimes makes a terrible grinding noise (we don't use it often anyway). Removing the wire mesh cover and pushing the white plastic fan up on the motor shaft fixes it until it moves again and starts rubbing.

Haven't decided where to mount the toilet paper holder in the bathroom. Still trying to figure that one out but until then, TP stays in the sink cabinet until needed.

Wood trim on the bedroom slide has come loose on the bottom on the bathroom side. It appears a nail (or whatever they used) didn't hold. I may fix it with glue or have the dealer address it.

Kitchen sink seems to turn on while traveling. No problem until we hook up to water at the campsite. We now check it before hooking up but the first time if my wife had not been right there we could have had a mess.

First trip, microwave opened and glass plate ended up on the floor (same with sink cover). We now store both items before traveling. Lucky nothing ended up broken.

The bathroom sink faucet nozzle does not stick out far enough from the back of the sink basin. Only fix is to replace the entire faucet, which I plan to do at some point. Not a huge issue as it works fine, maybe it's just personal preference.

Cheap plastic toilet seat on a porcelain toilet. Easy fix once I find the right one.

Overall we are very very happy with our trailer and plan to keep and use it for many years. The size works (32') for us with a family of four (next year our oldest son will travel to Moab with us so it will be five). No problem towing, maneuvering or backing it into sites.

Chris

Tags
5th wheel, wheel