Old 09-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #1

Odor when using fresh water

I get an odor when using my fresh water after the rv has been sitting up for a few weeks. It happens on all the faucets and on hot and cold water. Any ideas how to fix. After a day it goes away.
The unit is a 2013 365 saq

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The water is going stale in the lines and/or tank. Dissinfect the lines and tank may help extend the life in the lines some. You can drain the lines between uses also.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing or not, but early this season the water in our bathroom sink was stinky. All other faucets were fine. It was an easy fix with just running water thru the washer hookups in the front closet. It seems after i winterized and then de winterized, those lines don't get used and became stinky rather quickly.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Are you on a well? City water seems to fare better if left in water lines due to the chemicals used to treat it. Well water arrives with bacteria intact. Heat is a factor, obviously.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I don't know if this is what you are experiencing or not, but early this season the water in our bathroom sink was stinky. All other faucets were fine. It was an easy fix with just running water thru the washer hookups in the front closet. It seems after i winterized and then de winterized, those lines don't get used and became stinky rather quickly.
I forgot about the W/D lines. I have a short piece of garden hose that I screw onto the lines and then stick the end down the drain and rinse those every so often. Good catch, JT.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

I am not on a well and am pulling off the cg water. I thought it was a smell from the drains but its not. I also thought it was from my water fliter so I took it out the last trip. I am going to drain the water lines like I am winterizing and see if this helps. I am going to make sure the wd hook up gets drained also.
Thanks for the great info!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Site Team

Ok, so are you using the fresh water tank or are you hooked up to the water at the campground?

If it's the tank, then it's a good probability you need to sanitize the tanks. Just like when you dewinterize. Herk's got a good step by step on this process in the FAQs (Here), but basically it's add some bleach (like 1/4 cup per 15 gallons of tank) fill the tank with water, run all the taps until you smell bleach, let it sit for 24 hours and then drain it all out.

If it's the campground supply, well sometimes they're on well water there and it could be coming right from the supply. Try running a tap at the hookup and see if there's any smell there. Might be due to water sitting in their own lines, deteriorating plumbing in the campground, etc... In this case there's not much you can do other than running the tap before hooking up and making sure you're using a filter. I ran into this at one campground during their opening weekend. I ended up using my onboard fresh water for every else and only hooked up to the campground's supply to take showers.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #8

I am on the cgs fresh water supply. I have noticed it at a few different cgs. I haven't tried the fresh water tank to see if has an odor also. I am going to drain the system and then put a new filter in. I haven't smelled anything directly from the cg water supply.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I am on the cgs fresh water supply. I have noticed it at a few different cgs. I haven't tried the fresh water tank to see if has an odor also. I am going to drain the system and then put a new filter in. I haven't smelled anything directly from the cg water supply.
I think we've probably solved your problem, but what does the smell resemble?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you using water from the fresh water tank try sanitizing the system with bleach, drain the tank after 24 hours and refill the tank. Add a cup of vinegar and run it thru the system again. Drain it again and fill it with fresh water, purge the system and use it. The vinegar cuts the bleach taste.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water