Old 09-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #1

Please help; battery fuse question

Hi,
My boyfriend took out the battery fuse yesterday because the neighbor's fuses were blown. The lights don't really matter, but the problem I'm having is that the fridge was running off of that as well. Boyfriend has gone to work and I have absolutely no idea where these fuses are. I have a 2008 Forest River Sandpiper 345RT. Someone pleeeeeeeease help me. Many thanks.

Melissa

Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajean0 View Post
Hi,
My boyfriend took out the battery fuse yesterday because the neighbor's fuses were blown. The lights don't really matter, but the problem I'm having is that the fridge was running off of that as well. Boyfriend has gone to work and I have absolutely no idea where these fuses are. I have a 2008 Forest River Sandpiper 345RT. Someone pleeeeeeeease help me. Many thanks.

Melissa

Your fridge needs 12v power to run, even if you are plugged into 110v from a land line. The 12v controls the electronics. The fridge can 'run' without that batt when on 110v because it is getting its' 12v power from the converter. It sounds as if it is your converter that needs to be looked at.

As to where the fuse is for the 12v systems in the camper. The one that you may be looking for will be in the converter box, behind the panel. The converter boxes are usually located close to the fridge and very close to the floor. I see on your layout that you have a pantry next to you fridge. The converter box panel door is at your feet below the pantry (imo). Push on the upper part of the panel and it should 'release' the panel door. Your boyfriend may have taken out the fuse in this panel that is label for 'lights', or something like that. Replace the fuse that is missing with the same voltage as is labeled. If you must you can put in a small cheater wire between the terminals for a short time, because you know that you are not 'blowing' fuses.

If this has or not helped, re post.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Are you saying converter box as in where the breakers are? That's in the bathroom. The box in the bathroom has 6 fuses in there, all labeled, but none of them are pulled out. He said he removed 2 12v fuses. I can't figure out where from. I don't think it was in there tough, because all that are labeled have fuses in them.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

I don't see a panel near the fridge or pantry. :/
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #5

Melissa, the battery fuse is probably going to be outside within a foot or two of the battery itself. There are probably ring-terminal connectors on the two wires. Do not, under any circumstances, just short these together. (A fire would be way worse than your current problem.)

You need to replace the fuse he removed. You'll either have to go buy a new one or "take it back" from the neighbor. It really helps if you could at least find out what size it was. Failing that, I would suggest just buying a 20 or 30 amp fuse (auto parts store) until he can get the right one. It will look something like the picture below.

Name:   image-1047837043.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  12.5 KB
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I am confused.

If there is 110 AC; there should be 12 DC available to the camper as the converter is powered directly from a circuit breaker on the fuse panel.

He may have tripped the breaker when the 12 volt fuse was removed. Reset all 110 volt breakers.

Then, if still no 12 volt power AT ALL, I would check the reverse current protection fuses. There are two (the orange ones in the photo.)
Without them there is NO 12 volt power at all to the camper.

The resetting breaker Barry was talking about would prevent the battery from charging, but as long as the converter was powered you would have 12 volts.

If you have SOME 12 volt items working (radio or lights); then look for missing blue ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuses.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	40304   Click image for larger version

Name:	WF8900.jpg
Views:	4728
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	40305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse panel.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	40306  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Melissa, the battery fuse is probably going to be outside within a foot or two of the battery itself. There are probably ring-terminal connectors on the two wires. Do not, under any circumstances, just short these together. (A fire would be way worse than your current problem.)

You need to replace the fuse he removed. You'll either have to go buy a new one or "take it back" from the neighbor. It really helps if you could at least find out what size it was. Failing that, I would suggest just buying a 20 or 30 amp fuse (auto parts store) until he can get the right one. It will look something like the picture below.
Attachment 40302
I actually have a box of fuses, I just don't know where he took it from :/ I saw the wires to the battery. It had a 30 amp fuse in it, but I don't know if that's the only one that there's supposed to be or not. I guess I may have to wait until he gets home so he can show me in case he decides to give our stuff away again. :/ What else other than lights run off of the 12v? Also, is there any way to bypass the 12v so the lights will connect right to the rest of the power supply? Not saying I'm going to do that, just curious if it were possible. I wouldn't even attempt something like that, I'm not an electrician lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

To my knowledge, there was never any implication that shore power is available.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
To my knowledge, there was never any implication that shore power is available.

I guess I did assume that. The boyfriend should have know that cutting off the batt supply would also cut off the fridge, even if it was on propane.... again, I am assuming.

Do you have 110v land line power Melissa?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I guess I did assume that. The boyfriend should have know that cutting off the batt supply would also cut off the fridge, even if it was on propane.... again, I am assuming.

Do you have 110v land line power Melissa?
Sorry, I don't really know the terms to use lol. But we're hooked up to a box outside with a big thick black cord that goes into a power box. So, I'm assuming that's what you mean by land line. If so, then yes lol

Tags
battery, fuse