Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

Please help, I think I have a lemon

I hope this will make sense I have unknowingly been breathing propane fumes all night.

I paid all the cash I had from a surgical settlement to purchase a 2014 ROK at the end of September. I took a long list of things to inspect with me when I looked at it. Most things were cosmetic and the dealer found some things wrong that I was told were fixed before delivery.

Here's a short list:

A hydraulic line was leaking before being moved and was replaced. When they tried to close the slide outs the line blew again and was replaced then delivered to me. The front hydraulic jacks now do what I call "pop and drop". I have to raise it every couple of days and now worry it's just going to completely give and completely drop. I had a guy come out to give me an estimate to block it like you would a mobile home but for 4 piers it's $275 that I don't have.

The fireplace circuit board was bad and had to be replaced by the dealer.

The back electric scissor jacks were replaced by the dealer.

Something is now wrong with my propane system.

I know there is more but right now I can't think of it.

My question is....being the 2nd owner do I have recourse with Forest River or the individual manufacturers of the things that are wrong. I'm a disabled 52 y.o. woman who lives on $750 a month disability. I bought this as my home choosing to do so over a small house as on my monthly income I can't afford the bills a house entails, especially the extra taxes at the end of the year.

Any and all help would be appreciated. THe problems I am now having I couldn't have known about until I lived in it and the dealership is uncooperative.
Thanks for reading, not feeling well so it might be awhile before I get back to this
dominic1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Unfortunately the second owner of a forest river unit really has no pull to get fr to act on anything.
New the unit only had one year warranty that is non transferable.
I've bought one used unit in my life and never again......
Good luck

Out of curiosity what unit do you have?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Hey, I am from Canada so this law may not apply to you guys in the US; up here even if you buy a second hand RV from a dealer they are supposed to test all the gas appliances for leaks and a licensed gas technician has to tag the unit.

Our unit was bought new and our tag was attached in the hot water tank.

Good luck.
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #4

Thank you Turbs and denali15 for your replies. Kind of figured I was stuck but thought I'd ask. I appreciate your help.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

blocking up camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic1964 View Post
I hope this will make sense I have unknowingly been breathing propane fumes all night.

I paid all the cash I had from a surgical settlement to purchase a 2014 ROK at the end of September. I took a long list of things to inspect with me when I looked at it. Most things were cosmetic and the dealer found some things wrong that I was told were fixed before delivery.

Here's a short list:

A hydraulic line was leaking before being moved and was replaced. When they tried to close the slide outs the line blew again and was replaced then delivered to me. The front hydraulic jacks now do what I call "pop and drop". I have to raise it every couple of days and now worry it's just going to completely give and completely drop. I had a guy come out to give me an estimate to block it like you would a mobile home but for 4 piers it's $275 that I don't have.

The fireplace circuit board was bad and had to be replaced by the dealer.

The back electric scissor jacks were replaced by the dealer.

Something is now wrong with my propane system.

I know there is more but right now I can't think of it.

My question is....being the 2nd owner do I have recourse with Forest River or the individual manufacturers of the things that are wrong. I'm a disabled 52 y.o. woman who lives on $750 a month disability. I bought this as my home choosing to do so over a small house as on my monthly income I can't afford the bills a house entails, especially the extra taxes at the end of the year.

Any and all help would be appreciated. THe problems I am now having I couldn't have known about until I lived in it and the dealership is uncooperative.
Thanks for reading, not feeling well so it might be awhile before I get back to this
See if you can get a local Church, or Youth group to block up your camper for you. May even be able to get blocks donated. It's worth a try.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #6

Make friends with people in your campground. If your park has a bulletin board you might ask for help on there.

There are always retired guys looking to fix something. You'll need to be outside for a while "fixing" and "fiddling" with stuff until someone offers to help.

If you ARE in Early, TX at least you'll be warm this winter. Keep asking questions on here. There are lots of very knowledgeable people who can help.

Just confirm for everyone that you have a Sandpiper 35-ROK. The other thing is, when asking questions, you'll need to be more specific than, "Something is now wrong with my propane system."
2020 Ford F350 Lariat, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Diesel, 4WD
Retired and trying to travel where it's warm. Not doing a good job of this during COVID in 2020.
pengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #7

Thank you for your replies. I've been living in the park for almost 4 years now and they all know I'll work on it myself if I can. I didn't know it at the time but it was one of two pressure regulators, the diaphragm was bad after only a year. This is why I'm saying I have a lemon. To many things are wrong with it to only be a year old but it is what it is. Love the rv but not the problems lol. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. If I had jacks big enough to do it I would level it myself
Old 11-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #8

I think I have a lemon

If you want to block up your trailer yourself, you can rent the jacks that you would need from a local rental company. A good 5 ton bottle jack should do the trick for you. If you visit some local construction sites you may be able to pick up required materials for free or at greatly reduced cost for damage or chipped bricks or cinder blocks.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #9

Thanks for all your kind replies. I did have the trailer blocked up at a cost of $250 (he lowered it $25 as it didn't take long). This past week the circuit board went out on my furnace. Circuit board was $165, labor $100 but all is fixed now. I love the roominess of this unit and the layout but I never expected the problems. My 2001 Sportsman was a much better unit. The only reason I got rid of it was for more space since I live in it. I just wish people would take pride in the things they build. None of my windows will open in this unit but someone suggested the housing screws are over torqued so when it gets warm out I'll try loosening them a bit on one window and see if it works.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #10

Don't know your brand of windows, but if I close mine too tight for too long, they stick to the seals and don't want to open. I make sure I apply a coat of silicon lube to the seals at least once a year and don't close them as tight. Works for me.
You might want to turn your window openers as far in the open direction as you can without damaging them, then let them sit awhile, maybe a day, then apply more opening pressure. Sooner or later they will pop open. Been there, done that.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Don't know your brand of windows, but if I close mine too tight for too long, they stick to the seals and don't want to open. I make sure I apply a coat of silicon lube to the seals at least once a year and don't close them as tight. Works for me.
You might want to turn your window openers as far in the open direction as you can without damaging them, then let them sit awhile, maybe a day, then apply more opening pressure. Sooner or later they will pop open. Been there, done that.

Thank you for your reply. My windows have the thumb tab things that have to be pushed outward to open. I tried spraying silicone on the side tracks to no avail. Someone told me the frame screws might be over torqued so when it gets a little warmer I will try loosening one window a little to see if that does the trick. Thank you for your reply