Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Pulled trigger on 371 REBH

We're trading in our Jayco TT (which we love, just too small) on a 371REBH. We're not novice campers, but this is our first FR and first 5er. We take delivery on Saturday. Any tips or must haves or items we need to be sure the tech goes over with us during our orientation? Thanks in advance!
DKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #2

Congrats, ordered mine back in Feb they tell me it will me built the end of April, can't wait. Post pictures :-)
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #3

Happy camping in your new 5ver. This is our 2nd year using one and what a difference in towing. When you go to pick it up make sure you do a good walk thru. Check everything and make sure you pay special attention to the hook up procedure. If you've never towed one before there is a knack to getting hitched. Not hard but watch carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congrats! I really like that floor plan. Take your time on the pdi, if it opens, closes, turns on or off, have them demonstrate it and you return the demo. Test all doors, window, etc.. even boil a cup of water in the microwave (ours ran but didn't heat). As others said, pay close attention to the hitching procedure. Hook your emergency brake cable to the truck not the hitch like they will show you. I use the truck bed tie down anchor in my bed to clip it to. We also padlock the latch to our hitch closed. I was taught to paint the jaws of my hitch orange so I could make sure they were closed properly. Also learn how to do a pull test to ensure proper hook up before pulling out. (If you dont know what this is, just ask).

You will find it handles differently than your old tt. Cut your turns wider. A very wise person told me to wait until my truck rear wheels enter the intersection before turning. As for backing, it takes longer to start turning but once it starts it will turn quickly. You will not be able to straighten it back out while backing, just pull forward to straighten out. I strongly suggest practicing in an empty parking lot. Good luck and enjoy it!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

Congrats on your new 371REBH. Take your time during the PDI. Make sure you take a PDI checklist along, you can download one in the 'Library' section above.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

Congrats! Typically longer trailers will be easier to back up since they take longer to react and making harder to over correct, but like anything the more you do it, the more you'll get used to it. One of the big differences from your jayco week probably be the hydraulic slides. I like them better than our old electric ones, they are a fair bit faster, but on our 380bh5 you can't select which slide goes out, always starts in the left front and goes counter clockwise, whether going in or out. The two must haves i can think of were a 50amp extension cord and a 2 pack of x-chocks, which really helped reduced our trailer rocking, these are big trailers

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Another great add on is the Steadfast stabilizer system. Take about 3-4 hours to install but will make the fiver pretty solid when set up. Congrats and have fun with your new fiver.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the great tips! Definitely some things that I didn't think of!
DKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led