Old 10-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Remove battery in the winter?

Hi there! We are new to the forum...heck we are new to camping! We just purchased our 2014 32QBBS & winterized it today but we are wondering if we should take the battery out & bring it inside for the winter? We also welcome any and all hints & tips....we are greener than the grass when it comes to camping!

RacinCampin5418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Definitely remove it. Go and buy a battery charger/tender and keep the battery off of the concrete floor. Plug it into the tender and let it stay juiced for the winter.

NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Thank you!
RacinCampin5418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
We live way south of you. For the past 8 years I have not removed the battery from our wildcat. I have it plugged in to a 30amp line I have installed for the RV when it is parked a Home.
I just had the invertor and battery replace at the Goshen F.R.O.G. Rally this pass summer. The Inter-t-te Battery was the original Battery that came in the RV. The battery was still showing 200 cranking amps on a load test. The invertor had some dark spots on the elec circuit board where the fan had stop working in Route to Goshen.
Frank- VA {:-{)
2004 4x4 Ford 6.0 PS, SCC, SB
2005 Wildcat 29 RLBS
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
I take ours out and leave it in the basement along with the lawn tractor battery.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Welcome RacinCampin5418! Like Frank-VA, I'm way south of you too down in the middle of NC. Been camping for years and always been blessed to park my RVs in the backyard in our shed. I keep it plugged in all the time and never pull out the battery. My batteries have all lasted forever this way. Now, if it were not plugged in, like the boat, I'd pull it out, check the water, give'er a good charge and set it up on the shelf for the winter.
North Carolina born and bred
2010 Sandpiper 345RET
2011 2500 Duramax Silverado
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper
I leave ours in and have for many years. We hit -30 to -40 every winter and no issues that battery is 4 years old now. I do put a smart charger on it every month or so for a couple hours as it loses very little charge. I do the same with my other OPE that has electric start. If the battery is disconnected it will not hurt it to be outside. FWIW I use the same brand and type of battery on my electric fencer and it runs all winter in the elements with a charge every month or so as well and that battery is 5 years old.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
I always leave ours in too. I have a battery disconnect installed so there is no parasitic loss at all and they stay charged up. We also have 6 batteries so I am not taking them all out either as they are behind the basement wall too so a real pain to remove. I just run out every month or two and flip the solar system on just to top them up but I always says they are full still.
2014 Sierra 365 SAQ
2014 F350 CC DRW lariat ultimate kodiak brown, 65 gallon titan fuel tank, bak flip box cover, many mods to come.
ehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
A late but added note you may be able to use?

Remember, not all chargers are created equal. Cheap ones sometimes boil the battery to death.

Once a plate is exposed by any method, that cell is essentially dead so ensure you check them regularly. Some chargers are not smart enough to distinguish between full and partial charges, or for that matter, or empty <=50%.

You should note that different batteries, wet cells, GEL, AGM, and so on take different charge loads and voltages. Charging GELs with wet cell voltages and currents may bulge the battery and render it/them useless.

Further notes: if you have 2 batteries of different capacities or charges you may find one battery compensating for the other leading to a more rapid discharge in both, etc.

And to your question: as the former and last answer suggested keeping a charge is important no matter where your battery is. I keep mine in the basement also on wood blocks for simplicity. It's cold out there you know?

All batteries discharge over time, especially those which are dirty on its surface. Batteries left in your rig may also power stuff in that rig. The only way some people know something might be on is with an ammeter, but that's another story.

Finally, a friend of mine has a converter which is NOT a 3-stage unit. Perhaps, like he does, charging for a short period, say 15 min per day, is an alternative to costly upgrades? I do this even with my good converter, but I'm one who hates to buy batteries and, who knows? However, my chargers are all smart, 3-stage, with monitors.

You be the judge.
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Live in cold north and have never removed our battery .. Just trickle charge it and they have lasted for yrs.Do what makes you feel better but its just unnessacary to remove it.More work for no reason. Keep it charged and youre good..

Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, winter