Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Sandpiper 303bh

Hello everyone , I am new to FRF and really enjoy reading everyones posts ,I am looking at buying a TT , the model that me and the wife like is the Sandpiper 303bh , I am wondering if it is too heavy for my F150 to pull safely .My truck is a 2007 , crewcab with 6.5foot box , with the 5.4liter V8 and also 4 wheel drive , I dont know the gear ratio . I know that once the trailer is loaded with water and our camping gear it will be quite heavy , We do not plan on traveling to much as we reserved a seasonal spot and plan to leave it there most of the time , I will eventually trade my truck for bigger ( within the next couple of years ) so I would hate to buy a TT that weighs less that we dont care for . There is so many TT out there it is hard to decide which is better ! I have a young son so the Bunkhouse model is a must have . And I like the aluminum cage . If anyone as any suggestions it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Nick
knowltoncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #2

Thanks everyone for the info
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nick, somehow we missed this thread from a couple of days ago.

Comparing your truck to my 2006, I think the stats are similar.

Even if you have the 3.73 gears, with a crewcab and 6.5' bed, your maximum towing is rated at 9100 lbs. Check here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp16May07.pdf The 303Bh lists a 8194 lb. dry weight. Add options, a battery, and propane tanks, you are going to be in the vicinity of 8600 lbs. empty. It would be hard to keep the load under 500 lbs. And the tow ratings are less if you don't have the 3.73s

The hitch weight listed is 938 lbs. My hitch weight grew 150 lbs. over the listed weight. Even if you can keep similar to mine, that is close to 1100 lbs. The hitches for these trucks are rated at 990 lb. maximum tongue weight when using a WDH.

If you have the 6'5" bed with a crewcab, then your wheelbase is 150". That is a good long wheelbase for up to about a 30' trailer.....but the 303BH is close to 35'.....that is 1 long trailer.

With those 3 points, and especially overloading the hitch, no way would I do it with my truck.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the info ,I will have to keep searching for the perfect trailer or switch trucks sooner .
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Forest River has many bunk house models in several makes in the light weight travel trailer section....check those out.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Thanks a million.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

I have a 301bh with two slides and pull it with 2005 chevy 2500hd. I think that is a similar trailer to mine. I think you really need at least a 3/4 ton for that trailer. Also I would use the anti sway bar and weight distribution hitch. In heavy winds it might push a half ton around a bit and be unsafe.
sbeard is offline   Reply With Quote