Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #1

Sandpiper/365SAQ input.

Hello all we are new to the Forest River family and would like some feedback from other Sandpiper owners. We are coming out of a Holiday Rambler 325 Alumilite custom that was a great unit. Its been hard to find something as well built or heavy duty as that rig, it seems that in the interest of weight things have gotten flimsy. However my wife and I saw a 32QBBS select at an earlier RV show and fell in love with the layout. So we waited till Hershey to walk through one, one last time before buying and saw the 365SAQ "oh my" this unit is fantasic. The space the features the price the options wow. After comparing the prices the saq was only $6500 more for what we felt was almost double the RV. The salesman also felt that with my strong feelings about fit finish and quality that staying in the full Sandpiper line was a better idea than the select or sierra. Anyway thats my story, can't wait for it to come and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marc

Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck in the decision process!
I bet we looked at 25 models before we decided.

Turbs

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Sierra and Sandpiper roll off the same assembly line. Only differences that I've seen have been outside graphics and inside color schemes. We looked at both, had them priced exactly the same, chose the dealer we felt better with. Aside from that, the 365saq is great, especially with kids. We camp with anywhere from having just our 5yr old, to having 4 teenagers also. Always enough room and never climbing over each other. The half bath and outside kitchen are great. A must have, though, is the 2nd A/C unit. Welcome and good luck!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

I have a sandpiper 365saq. My suggestion is to not have very high standards when it comes to the overall quality and workmanship. These units are mass produced and there is a lack of quality control. Its not specific to just this rv its industry wide. It is an awesome nice floorplan and it is a good camper. Compared to your last camper it will be nice with all the new amenities and gadgets.

I would reccomend the 2nd air for sure and air bags on your tow vehicle.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
The Sierra and Sandpiper roll off the same assembly line. Only differences that I've seen have been outside graphics and inside color schemes. We looked at both, had them priced exactly the same, chose the dealer we felt better with. Aside from that, the 365saq is great, especially with kids. ... The half bath and outside kitchen are great. A must have, though, is the 2nd A/C unit. Welcome and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
Compared to your last camper it will be nice with all the new amenities and gadgets.
I would reccomend the 2nd air for sure and air bags on your tow vehicle.
Most definitely go with the second air and there is a mod on here(if not cured in the '13 model) of how to get more air flow to the bunkroom. I just answered your question over on RV.net, I am nremtp143 over there, about the airbags. Even with a dually, the airbags are awesome, especially since I can adjust on-the-fly with the air system. Takes a lot of bounce out of the ride on interstates. The 365SAQ is a dream come true for little ones as they have their own room with plenty of space. Our son is 12 and loves his room. We have the outside kitchen, generator, 2nd air, heated tanks etc. on ours. We LOVE IT. Good luck and welcome to the best floor plan(in my opinion) for the family!
Monty

Oh and by the way, we orderd an '11 355QBQ and kept it for 11 months and traded it for this. We tried to have them build the 355 custom like the 365, but it was too much money. We stayed on the phone with the factory reps for hours before ordering the 355, and low a behold they took our advice and built the 365. It was a no-brainer for us. Saw the first 365 when it came to GA and ordered ours the next day. Love it!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #6

thanks for the info

Monty thats great this is what I'm looking to hear. I'm hearing almost all good things about the 365 but as with any newer rv there will be problems i understand this but hearing more good than bad is still a good thing. As far as the air bags I''m putting them on this fall since we probably wont get to use the new unit till spring I want to go with a compressor system for the ability to air on the go and fill rafts tire etc, also I have been seriously looking into an exhaust brake from BD or PAC brake so an air system is a most.
Thanks again I starting to get excited as the sadness of losing the Holiday fades.
Marc
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Most definitely go with the second air and there is a mod on here(if not cured in the '13 model) of how to get more air flow to the bunkroom. I just answered your question over on RV.net, I am nremtp143 over there, about the airbags. Even with a dually, the airbags are awesome, especially since I can adjust on-the-fly with the air system. Takes a lot of bounce out of the ride on interstates. The 365SAQ is a dream come true for little ones as they have their own room with plenty of space. Our son is 12 and loves his room. We have the outside kitchen, generator, 2nd air, heated tanks etc. on ours. We LOVE IT. Good luck and welcome to the best floor plan(in my opinion) for the family!
Monty

Oh and by the way, we orderd an '11 355QBQ and kept it for 11 months and traded it for this. We tried to have them build the 355 custom like the 365, but it was too much money. We stayed on the phone with the factory reps for hours before ordering the 355, and low a behold they took our advice and built the 365. It was a no-brainer for us. Saw the first 365 when it came to GA and ordered ours the next day. Love it!
Hey I see you ordered yours with the generator? Does it eat up a lot of basement room? Could you perhaps snap a pic of it for me. We were going to pull the trigger on a sabre 36qbok but they don't offer gen prep so are looking to go this route now thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehorn View Post
Hey I see you ordered yours with the generator? Does it eat up a lot of basement room? Could you perhaps snap a pic of it for me. We were going to pull the trigger on a sabre 36qbok but they don't offer gen prep so are looking to go this route now thanks.
It will have to be tomorrow as I am on shift today. Mine came with the GenPrep kit and the Onan Generator was installed at the dealer. The 365 has a door under the pin box area and the generator and batteries take up the entire area. It does not take up basement space though. Just takes up the front area that a lot of people use for additional storage. I prefer a generator though.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Tomorrow That would be fine, ya the sale lady was really trying to get us to buy the sabre but she just didn't understand that we wanted a generator. As far as install on that did everything fit in nice and look clean, switch and everything for it in the panel? Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehorn View Post
Tomorrow That would be fine, ya the sale lady was really trying to get us to buy the sabre but she just didn't understand that we wanted a generator. As far as install on that did everything fit in nice and look clean, switch and everything for it in the panel? Thanks
Yes, everything comes from the factory(or dealer installed) with a control panel from GenSet and the dealer did a great job. The generator has to have a heat shield around it. This is just fabricated from sheet metal formed into a box. That part is not very neat looking, however it is never seen. If you order it with a genprep kit, it will come with the panel and an automatic transfer switch as part of the kit.

Tags
365, 365saq