Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Sandpiper 365SAQ or Sabre 36QOBK

We are looking for a camper for our family of 6 ( 15yo, 12yo, 3yo and 1yo) and have settled on the floor plan that has a rear bunk with the dual slides for the "kids" area. Currently we have a popup and are new to the RV idea as I have always been a tent man prior to using the pop-up. We at first fell in love with the Sandpiper but saw the Sabre last weekend and found several things in that model we liked also. I am having a hard time telling what the major differences is between the two models but I know that the sandpiper has more of a class A style water and sewer connection area and the Sabre has a little more better of a speaker package. Now having said that I know I could be wrong but that's my observation. I do remember that the sales guy said that the roofs were made different and the Sabre had the roof that was easier to make a therefor cheaper and so they add more features into the camper.
Branden221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Those are both nice units. Each will have subtle differences from the others. It's takes a bit of time to search through everything and determine what all those are. I know first hand since we are just wrapping up our hunt with similar circumstances. We're going from a pop up to a 5er as well and had decided on a bunk house model. The Sabre was at the top of our list until I found the Columbus 385BH model which turns out to be the one we ended up ordering just a few days ago. Make sure to compare everything from the construction methods to the type of electronics that go in.
Fire931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Always Learning

I can't speak to quality or construction differences. But, a couple of "functional" types of differences:

1) The fold down bunk on the 365SAQ didn't feel sturdy to us. In fact, reading on here - some people have had issues with it cracking. Though, given the problems, I'd hope that the factory would have fixed it by now. (This was the single biggest thing that stopped us from looking at the 365SAQ at the time.)

2) We liked the grill option on the 365SAQ. In fact, we may try to reproduce that on our 36QBOK.

3) A U-shaped dinette was another requirement for us. From talking to one of the wholesalers, it was then an un-advertised option for the 365SAQ but it was doable.

4) The shower in the bathroom in the 36QBOK is pretty hard to beat. It's extremely roomy!

5) I'll be honest, the hinged door in the bunkhouse to the 1/2 bathroom on the 365SAQ is nicer than our sliding door in the 36QBOK.

6) A few of the 365SAQs that we looked at, the drawers in the dresser in the master bedroom didn't always close correctly. They just looked funky.

7) We would have liked the king bed option that the 365SAQ offers. It's not available in the 36QBOK.

8) And then there's the big difference of the kitchen layout. I really liked the 365SAQ vs. what we have. For one, you should be able to get to the fridge with the slide in. We can't do that with ours. You need to stand in both and see what seems more livable. (Like I said - I would have greatly preferred the 365SAQ floorplan; there were just other things that kept us from it.)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

I have the 365 saq and love it. I think you will love either unit, going from a pop up. I would just decide on colors and options!
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

We've had a 355 and a 365. We absolutely love the 365SAQ. I don't think there is a better floor plan on the market for those with kids than the 365. The things mentioned above as far as the fold down bed being not sturdy enough, all it takes to remedy that it a couple of hinges and a 2x4 or 2x2 cut to short lengths to sturdy it up. We love the fact that the kids have their own room and bathroom. Plus, the coach is big enough for several people to stay in it for a week or longer without wanting to kill each other due to a cramped space.
I only have one major hang up with the unit I have and that is being addressed by FR as we speak. That being said, I still feel that this unit offers us everything we wanted in a 5th wheel- Design, options, colors, good reputation and value.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

One feature that sold is on Sabre was the large fullsize bathroom, with a large family, you'll appreciate all that space.
Also, the Sabre & Columbus line are very well appointed in their price points compared to others, we've had zero problems outside minor tweaks I adjust myself.
Good luck with your search & take your time

Tags
365, 365saq