Old 11-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Sandpiper 50AMP Relay Tripping

Folks, I'll try to be detailed, & short.

Bought a new 2018 383RLOK last fall, earlier this summer we got stranded near Knoxville with the 50amp relay that controls slides & jacks popped (it does not auto reset) luckily we found Fickey, a mobile service guy who was amazing.

Then, 4 days outside of warranty, in Oct, it popped again, Forest River isn't wanting to stand behind it, a few dealers I've called said just drop a larger amp relay in & be done with it.

Has anyone seen this issue? Or able to offer any sound advice?

Thanks!

Tim

Lt58DMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt58DMTP View Post
Folks, I'll try to be detailed, & short.

Bought a new 2018 383RLOK last fall, earlier this summer we got stranded near Knoxville with the 50amp relay that controls slides & jacks popped (it does not auto reset) luckily we found Fickey, a mobile service guy who was amazing.

Then, 4 days outside of warranty, in Oct, it popped again, Forest River isn't wanting to stand behind it, a few dealers I've called said just drop a larger amp relay in & be done with it.

Has anyone seen this issue? Or able to offer any sound advice?

Thanks!

Tim
That should be an upgraded 80 amp breaker

koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

Sir, thanks for the quick reply, in some of my searches I found this:

Several years ago, Lippert released a LIP Sheet (technical advisory) suggesting installation of an 80 amp breaker when having start/stop issues where a 50 amp breaker was tripping.* A short time later, the LIP Sheet was withdrawn without explanation.

Some people have upgraded their 50 amp breakers to 80 amp.* However, before doing so, you should try to determine why a 50 amp breaker is not sufficient.* For example, a mechanical bind or pump problem could be causing the breaker to trip.* Moving to a larger breaker might successfully mask the real problem, without fixing it.* If the real problem gets worse over time, the situation could become more complicated.
Lt58DMTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
Head Rambler

I assume that it's a 12 volt breaker (resettable fuse) instead of a relay.
That unit has hydraulic slides as well as a hydraulic leveling system. According to the manual those units are usually fed through an 50 amp to 100 amp breaker. BUT, before I changed the 50 amp breaker for a larger unit, I'd make sure that the wiring is big enough for it.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt58DMTP View Post
Sir, thanks for the quick reply, in some of my searches I found this:

Several years ago, Lippert released a LIP Sheet (technical advisory) suggesting installation of an 80 amp breaker when having start/stop issues where a 50 amp breaker was tripping.* A short time later, the LIP Sheet was withdrawn without explanation.

Some people have upgraded their 50 amp breakers to 80 amp.* However, before doing so, you should try to determine why a 50 amp breaker is not sufficient.* For example, a mechanical bind or pump problem could be causing the breaker to trip.* Moving to a larger breaker might successfully mask the real problem, without fixing it.* If the real problem gets worse over time, the situation could become more complicated.
My 2017 Sandpiper came with the upgraded 80 amp breaker. I was told that the reason for the increase is that in cold weather the motor can draw as much as 90 amps with the fluid getting thicker. Sounds like you have a different problem.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I assume that it's a 12 volt breaker (resettable fuse) instead of a relay.
That unit has hydraulic slides as well as a hydraulic leveling system. According to the manual those units are usually fed through an 50 amp to 100 amp breaker. BUT, before I changed the 50 amp breaker for a larger unit, I'd make sure that the wiring is big enough for it.
Bingo, the purpose of a breaker is to mainly protect the wiring (and components). It depends on 2 things, the wire gauge and the distance of the run from that breaker to the motor it powers.

For 80 amps at 20' run, you need at least a 2 gauge wire. You could up the breaker to 100 amp for a 2 gauge wire if you wanted (but 20' is max at 100 amps). For 80 amps you could go up to 30' with 2 gauge wire.

First thing is check to see what your existing wire out of that breaker is. Below is a chart showing distance of wire run vs amperage to give you the wire gauge needed.

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sandpiper