Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Sandpiper fridge question

We have a 2010 355QBQ, love it but have an issue that has reared it's ugly head....again. Maybe I am not doing something right when we park it in the driveway. The fridge seems to have shut itself off. We never had this happen with the previous rock wood we had. The light is on, but the temp seems not to be. The first time it happened, the dealer told us we should turn the unit off and them back on to reset it. We did, and have done this since, but have had it do the same thing 3 more times. I was wondering if it may be do the fact that the camper isn't sitting completely level? Or is there something I may be missing?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Larry,
You did not mention if you are running on gas or electric?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

i agree gas or electric ?
have you tried both and get the same results ?

btw Larry I also live in Eastern Iowa !
Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

It sounds like the temp control that hooks on the fins inside the ref has fallen down. That would be my first step. It controls how cold the unit gets.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Larry, You said the trailer is not level. The fridge only requires that it be "comfortably" level. How unlevel is the trailer?

And, what model fridge is it?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

This has only happened when we are parked in the driveway. It is probably about a foot higher in the front than the back. And it is plugged into a 110 outlet. The controller thing in the back of the fridge is slid close to the coldest setting. I was a little baffled when the dealer told me that we need to manually shut it off and turn it back on to "make" it switch from gas to electric. The fridge and freezer were room temperature yesterday. I turned it off, then on, and with in an hour, I could tell the freezer was getting really cold. It is a dometic fridge. I guess I am just curious if anybody else has experienced this.
And for the fellow eastern iowan, we live in Dubuque.

Thanks for the help

Larry
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHaulerLarry View Post
This has only happened when we are parked in the driveway. It is probably about a foot higher in the front than the back. And it is plugged into a 110 outlet. The controller thing in the back of the fridge is slid close to the coldest setting. I was a little baffled when the dealer told me that we need to manually shut it off and turn it back on to "make" it switch from gas to electric. The fridge and freezer were room temperature yesterday. I turned it off, then on, and with in an hour, I could tell the freezer was getting really cold. It is a dometic fridge. I guess I am just curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Thanks for the help

Larry
I live about an hour south !

we tend to camp and trout fish at swiss valley !
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHaulerLarry

Thanks for the help

Larry
That sounds quite a bit out of level... You should try to get it somewhat level with the tongue or landing gear jacks and take it from there.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #9

Thanks again, its just strange that it has only happened 3 times sitting in the same spot like this.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It seems strange that a reset would be the correction unless the check indicator lamp is going on and staying on. I'm assuming its not lit (because you didn't say it was).

I'd try repositioning it.

If an RV refrigerator is operated when it is not level, liquid ammonia will accumulate in sections of the evaporator tubing. This slows the circulation of hydrogen and ammonia gas and might completely block it in severe case, which results in a loss of cooling.

So basically, without proper leveling, refrigerant within the cooling unit will collect and stagnate at certain areas. Without proper refrigerant flow, the cooling process will stop.

This might not be the cause to your problem, but its a relatively easy one to try and fix (without being a technician). If the same problem occurs after running it in a more level position then there are other more involved possibilities.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote