Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Sandpiper/Sierra 346RET vs Montana 3100RL

Hello everyone. Looking to gain some insight from your experience. I am new to 5ers and I have been shopping. Sandpiper/Sierra 346RET looks like a good floor plan for us as well as the Montana 3100RL. What a diff. in price though huh? Can any Forrest River people tell me if you think it's really worth it? I like the drop down frame in Montana for underbelly storage, is that a real issue on the Forrest River 5ers? Also, can you get a upgrade to 12 cu ft fridge? Any reocurring problems with the Sandpiper/Sierra 346RET model? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed
golfr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

You are trying to compare a mid-range trailer to a high end trailer. It's like trying to determine if the price of a Lincoln is worth it when compared to the price of a Chevy.

Try looking at the Cedar Creek 30RL and compare that to the Montana 3100RL.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Yeah your right. I like the 346ret though. Guess that's why I prefer Chevy over Lincoln. Doesn't need to be fancy just reliable to hold up to probably full time use. Selling the house and hitting the road. Mid range won't get the storage capacity?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Just purchased the 365SAQ Sandpiper so my obvious input is in favor of the Forest River. I looked at the Montana but you may be looking for a different layout than us. For storage capacity, SandPiper certainly has it. We could not find anything major negative to change our mind so we went with what we felt worked for us. We purchased in NJ and got the signature package for a great price.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Thanks for all input. I like the Sandpiper layout but only concerned about the pass thru storage area being smaller than Montana. Maybe it's just the Montana that has the very tall storage area because they drop their frame down. New to fifth wheels so not sure if that is just a Montana thing. Can anyone help with insight into that? I really want to save about 15 or 20k going with the Sandpiper. Ken, will one of those large Rubbermaid totes fit in your pass thru storage area? Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Steve & Phyllis

We have a Sandpiper 315re and really like it. For us we find more storage means more "stuff" we haul and more weight. We put a carrier on the bumper and got a box from Tractor Supply and put hoses, levelers, chocks, sewer connectors and such in it. That takes a LOT of stuff out of the storage area. The black boxes are made to exactly fit in a carrier and look very good. They are water tight and rust proof.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfr61 View Post
Thanks for all input. I like the Sandpiper layout but only concerned about the pass thru storage area being smaller than Montana. Maybe it's just the Montana that has the very tall storage area because they drop their frame down. New to fifth wheels so not sure if that is just a Montana thing. Can anyone help with insight into that? I really want to save about 15 or 20k going with the Sandpiper. Ken, will one of those large Rubbermaid totes fit in your pass thru storage area? Thanks
I am confident they will. I was very happy with not only the pass thru storage but also the other compartment up front. There I plan on putting my tools and a generator. Of course inside on either rig there are tons of storage. I have a huge area under the king bed for extra storage
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

I will try and find more pictures with a better shot of the large pass thru storage area but here is one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SandPStorage.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	25162  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

Thanks again for all your help. Anyone out there living full time in your Sandpiper? Also, anyone got a bigger fridge than 8 cu ft?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #10

As far as I know there is not a larger frig option available in these models. full time use is not advised as these units are for occasional use. I did install attic vents on mind to help with condensation though, just in case it does get used more often.
swannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #11

My husband and I are in a 2013 346RET that we just bought in August. We have been living in it full time and travel all over for his work. We have lived in New Mexico for 4 months ( super hot heat) and the AC unit kept up great, I would recommend getting a second AC unit though if you are going to be in it full time cause those summer nights get hot in the bedroom. I think we're going to add a second one this summer. We have also lived in Colorado since December ( winter) and the furnace has kept up great! We got some vinyl snap on skirting from rvskirting.com and it has saved us a lot of propane because it helps keep the heat. Its also nice because it basically turns the whole front end cap into more storage. We've had a few small things happen since living in it....a cabinet door came off, the screws came out. My husband just installed longer screws and it was fine. We looked at Montana's too but honestly we liked the look and decor of the sandpiper so much better. After 8 months of living in it full time I can honestly say I am happy we went with the sandpiper and much smaller monthly payment
avwbug is offline   Reply With Quote