Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Question Slide Floor is Bowing in Sandpiper 345RET

I'm new to the forum and one of the reasons I was excited to find this forum is for the following issue: the floor in the 14' slide is bowing... significantly. We are full time RV'ers for work so the idea of taking it somewhere for repair is a last resort. Has anyone out there had a similar issue and if so, what was the solution? I am assuming the floor will need to be replaced... has anyone ever done this?

There are no signs of leaking in the slide. We have always used stabilizers under our slides to assist with the load. Any suggestions would be helpful. Unfortunately I don't have pictures to share.

Thanks.
IBFathead007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

where is it bowing at? I have a 345 RET also but having no problems.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #3

At the dinette.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

I do know that my dinette doesn't sit flat because of how the floor laps at the seem between the slide and main floor but it's not sagging. Can you get any pictures of the floor from the inside and some from under the slide on the outside?
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

IBF, are you saying that the floor is sagging from where it rests on the camper floor to the outside wall?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Yes, sagging from where the slide rests on the inside to the outer wall. I will try to get photos at least from the inside to show the sag.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

That definitely should not be happening, as that isn't even much of a span. I wonder if anyone knows how the floors are constructed?
I would think it should be framed in aluminum, but maybe there is not a support where it is bowing.
Is it sagging under the chairs, where you sit all of the time?
Is that in the middle of the slide, beside the big chairs?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #8

Not as much under the chairs. I'm thinking I will be replacing the floor before we leave here. Anyone have experience doing that?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Hob

Crocus,

How can you ask that question with such an attractive young lady's picture as the avatar? You certainly are extremely blunt with the ladies. Nobody can accuse you of being swave and deboner.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

I guess I meant the dinette chairs.
The bad thing is that the slide is made like a box, all of the sides are welded together. The walls are most likely built on top of the floor, so repairing it from underneath might be the most obvious way to go. Unfortunately, that would mean removing the slide.
I suppose the floor could be opened up from the top, and extra bracing put in place. Just not sure how one would attach the bracing to the outside wall. But if it could be done, an extra layer of tongue-and-groove plywood could be put down, then new carpet.
Anything is possible for someone handy with tools, but you never know what the solution is until you open up the patient!
Good luck, and please let us know what you find.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

My dealer said not to use stabilizers on the slide outs. The stalling of the trailer could cause extra stress on the slide out. This might be the cause of the problem. I know it is not a fix but if you do get it fixed I would no longer use the slide out stabilizers.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote