Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Stabilizing at a Year-Round Spot

I have seen some comprehensive threads with opinions about stabilization. Many had the various aftermarket or home made cross brace type stabilizers. I was curious if anyone had suggestions on the best way to stabilize at a permanent spot? since I don't have to worry about "easy of deploy/take down", should I look at something different?

Also, I opted not to get the 6 point auto-level since I will level once and forget it. However, I talked to someone who has it and said his 5'er is quite stable with it. I hesitate a bit due to price ($2900 MSRP), as well as the extra hydraulics that I would rather not maintain. I assume I will periodically have to "relevel" as the hydraulics move or ground settles. One reason I would contemplate getting it would be resale value as it seems like a godsend for anyone going on weekend campouts.

So, what are your thoughts? just a bunch of screw jacks? Concrete blocks? Slideout stabilizers? Etc?

BTW: My camper is on order and I don't think has started to be built yet so I could modify the order if needed. Its a 381RBOK.
Other Ride: 2006 Harley Ultra Classic
Jayfro04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Site Team

We've always used cinder blocks and some wood shims. That way when the blocks inevitably sink into the ground, you can just push the shims in a little more to tighten them up.

Just don't put them under the slides.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Buy 1 big hyd jack and rent 1! Buy a Bunch of solid cement blocks and some 1x8x16 treated wood and a bundle of large wood shims! With the help of several friends start the Support Group on your frame! Youroo!!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Buy 1 big hyd jack and rent 1! Buy a Bunch of solid cement blocks and some 1x8x16 treated wood and a bundle of large wood shims! With the help of several friends start the Support Group on your frame! Youroo!!
I agree with most of that but what would the jacks be used for?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Jeez Louise just get the 6 point hydraulic self leveling and be done with it. You may want to pull up FAST and leave. See videos of Louisiana RV park after Tornado.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I agree with most of that but what would the jacks be used for?
When you need More than "Push the shim in" a jack is needed! Youroo!!
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

Having only had possession of ours for less than a week, I don't have allot of experience. However, I have noticed in the short time that the level up system does an awesome job at what its name implies and an average job at providing stability. Movements in the middle of the camper to the front don't create allot of camper shake, but movements in the bunk house create more shake than I was expecting. I think it would have made more sense to put the rear jacks closer to the back of the camper as opposed to just behind the rear axles.

If I were to do it all over again, I would still get the level up. I would just lower my expectations for its ability to stabilize.

I have only setup once (so far) but it was just as easy as the DP we had before. Push the buttons and walk away! Love it.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #8

We had our dealer install JT Strongarms on all 4 corners before they delivered the unit to our seasonal site. Very happy with the stabilization they provide.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

I Have a new set of JT Strongarms never installed for sale very reasonable but, I don't know about shipping them because they are pretty heavy. If anyone is interested, I'm in N. GA. and they can send me a PM.

Good luck with what ever you decide!
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #10

If you are serious about staying on a permanent site for a couple of years or more, concrete blocks are the way to go. Why ever consider spending big bucks on a stabilizing system if you are staying put?

I have a Wildwood DLX 39fden 10,000 lb. unit set up permanent. It is blocked on each frame corner and on the front and back sides of the axles for a total of eight piers of blocks. On the bottom of each pier is a solid 4" block with 2 regular concrete blocks stacked on top. On top of the concrete blocks I have 18" lengths of treated lumber pieces to get close to the frame and then wood shims to get it tight.

One or (preferably) two heavy duty jacks are needed to assist in lifting the frame slightly to get the piers set under at just the right height. I use an 8 ton bottle jack (cheap at Harbor Freight maybe $30). Forget the 2 ton floor jacks. You will need a serious 4-5 ton quality floor jack to lift the frame on a large camper.

Just make sure to use a level when setting the solid base block and have adequate jacking power and it is not a big deal. With the same jacks you can be off the blocks quite quickly too when you need to pull out. On permanent sites it is usually the other attached stuff like screen rooms, decks, etc that make it hard to move.
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
MCTroy

We struggle every year with setting our camper on our summer site. We are set June through October but if the old creek floods we have to pull out. Using just the jacks to stabilize is hard as there is a slight tilt towards the creek. The concrete blocks sound like a good idea and we could still pull out quickly if needed. There were posts that spoke of putting the blocks on the frame but pics of blocks under the jacks. I am thinking frame would be better but I don't want to twist it. We already bent one Jack foot last year because the base under the foot wasnt level...
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
There were posts that spoke of putting the blocks on the frame but pics of blocks under the jacks. I am thinking frame would be better but I don't want to twist it. We already bent one Jack foot last year because the base under the foot wasnt level...
I've seen both but I personally put all my blocks under the frame. On my previous trailer I didn't even have the stabilizer jacks down at all.

Others have mentioned needing jacks to lift the trailer up before putting the blocks under but I've never needed one. Once the trailer is level, you are just putting the blocks/wood/shims under it to hold it in place.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When I had my 5er at a seasonal site (we also pulled out and traveled some) I used concrete blocks under the stabilizers and in front and behind the wheels with screw jacks. Was very steady, and easy to do. When I did pull out, I only had to move the blocks in front of the wheels. The screw jacks also made it easy to adjust for settling.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #14

Never done the permanent thing. Can someone explain why blocks are needed and not just use the campers stabilizers as you would for a week or 2 trip?
Triple J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
Never done the permanent thing. Can someone explain why blocks are needed and not just use the campers stabilizers as you would for a week or 2 trip?
Not really necessary. It just depends on the level of stability you require, and the lengths you will go to attain it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
The stabilizers still allow a lot of bounce when walking around the trailer. If you don't plan on moving it anytime soon, you might as well make it as sturdy and stable as you can.

This is what my blocks look like. It doesn't move much at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	2927
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	178354
Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #17
Coach

We're not on a permanent site, but we've found the level up system feels pretty stable. Using a set of xchocks has relieved most of the bounce from behind the rear jacks others have mentioned.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
We struggle every year with setting our camper on our summer site. We are set June through October but if the old creek floods we have to pull out. Using just the jacks to stabilize is hard as there is a slight tilt towards the creek. The concrete blocks sound like a good idea and we could still pull out quickly if needed. There were posts that spoke of putting the blocks on the frame but pics of blocks under the jacks. I am thinking frame would be better but I don't want to twist it. We already bent one Jack foot last year because the base under the foot wasnt level...
You are not trying to lift or level the trailer with the stabilizer jacks ? Just wondering how you bent a foot.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote