Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Storage Compartment Heater?

I have the usual "Storage Space" under the king Bed, which is also in a slide-out. 2015 377FLIK

Can you put...Do they make a "SAFE" heater that can be installed in that compartment? And electric one?
Yes, it's getting colder and I am a Full Time RV'er so I am looking at different ways to heat areas I need. I never gave it a thought when buying it, but I wasn't planning on being a Full Time RV'er either then.

The bed can get so cold from the bottom side. A heated blanket heats from the top, but the cold is coming from the bottom.
I know I can put a "Heated Mattress Pad on (have used them in old Outback Trailer), but I already have a Memory Foam with some "fluffy" topper on the mattress, so I am not sure that I can use it with that.

I might be able to put the heated mattress pad under the other "topper", but not sure how the thermostat would work on that. I am sure a low setting is enough, just need to "counteract" the Cold, Dead Air Space. So, it's not like I have a breeze blowing through.

I am also a little worried about the storage space up front, that have my water filter and city hose connection in it...there is no heat in that area as well.
I have the Camco Heated Fresh Water Hose in use, but that won't help the water filter or other water components in that area.
TurkeyBranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

I can help on a couple of things. For heating the storage space use a 100W light bulb. Place the light in the compartment and it will provide enough heat that the water filter will not freeze. I would fill your on board water tank and disconnect your water hose, only connecting this to fill your tank when freezing can occur.

When I had my first VW a 1500CC Beetle, I use to use the light bulb to help the engine turn over and start when it was -10 to -20 F at night. I would put this in the engine bay and this would keep the oil warm.

Now as far as the mattress how about using flannel sheets. We use flannel sheets in the winter with a Goose down comforter on top. Both my DW and I like to sleep with a bedroom window open at night so these really help in keeping us warm at night.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Can you put one of those silver emergency blankets UNDER the mattress maybe???
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 AM   #4

that foil like bubble wrap is magic. I use a piece under my sleeping bag when tent camping in the winter and wake up sweating. in the rv I have a slide out queen, half the bed has nothing but air under it, the reflextics (sp?), is too much in the summer under the whole mattress. it's great in summer and winter for windows. it's under $40 at any home big box store, the use it for insulating water heaters....
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, storage