Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #31
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschambe View Post
Did the people who had blowouts replace both tires on that side? When one tire blows out it leaves double the load on the other one on that side.
Not sure exactly what you're asking. My three blowouts occured at different times on my trip home. I only drove far enough to get pulled off the Interstate. The last blowout was not in a good place and I had to limp it about a mile until I could exit the toll road and get pulled into a gas station.

I ended up using the spare and buying 2 new tires on the road. When I got home and got my trailer fixed, I bought 4 new Maxxis tires. I got rid of all the original tires (including the spare), used one of the new bought tires as the spare, and have the other new one in my garage. I will probably find a place to put it in the camper, just in case. I don't what to go through something like that again.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Check out my last post here:
Trailer tire confusion

I replaced my OEM Carlisle load range C tires after a blowout 1 year after I bought the camper. The tire tech showed me severe inter tread and sidewall cracking that meant the ST tires were improperly made. Carlisle offered to replace them (discounted for use) PROVIDED I shipped all 4 back at my expense and it turned out they were as bad as the tire guy stated. NONE of the damage to the camper would be covered by them.

Will I did not because I was so mad I could spit nails at that point.

They went to the recycling yard.

Upgraded to Marathon D rated tires and never looked back. My steel rims are rated to 60 PSI (not quite OK at the max sidewall pressure of the D rated tires, but since my camper is not overloaded and I run the tire pressure at 58 PSI cold - based on 10PSI over actual load rating for max trailer speed increase - Goodyear website), I feel safe and my tires don't make my trailer bounce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	19445  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #33

The question has come up about rim psi ratings and changing the Load rating of your tires. Inside my Driving America Series 06 rims the number 2150 is embossed. I sent an email to Series 06, aluminum trailer wheels by HWT, Inc. asking them if the rims could handle the 65 psi for a Load D tire. One of their executives wrote me back and said the rim was more than adequate to handle the psi but warned not to overload by going up to the tire weight rating on the Load D tires, but to follow the rim weight rating (the 2150 lbs). Not a problem since we are underweight on the crappy Load C tires that came with the trailer. Now I just wish the replacements (Load D's) I bought between being stranded on the shoulder of the highways were American made but they weren't available at the time of purchase.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #34

I pulled my TT home from the dealer on Trail Express tires had less than 100 miles on them. They were shot just in that one trip. FRF paid for all 4 tires and a bent rim . I had to send them the old tires and one bent rim.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car
The question has come up about rim psi ratings and changing the Load rating of your tires. Inside my Driving America Series 06 rims the number 2150 is embossed. I sent an email to Series 06, aluminum trailer wheels by HWT, Inc. asking them if the rims could handle the 65 psi for a Load D tire. One of their executives wrote me back and said the rim was more than adequate to handle the psi but warned not to overload by going up to the tire weight rating on the Load D tires,
Hey Randy,

You knew where I was going next and you saved me the trip. Same wheels on my 2012 V-Lite. Great news. Thanks!
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #36

Replaced Chinese Tires this week !!

I researched many RV Forums and one of the most common replies was,
" I installed Maxxis and they are great". Never found one negative complaint on a Maxxis, saw many complaints on Goodyear Marathons. But, more Goodyears have been sold compared to Maxxis. Maxxis has just moved to 9th place in the tire manufacturers depth chart, they have made quality tires for years for speciality sport vehicles.

Just replaced my Road Riders with four Maxxis ST M8008's this week mainly for peace of mind ! !
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #37
Now a "Top Member"

I have seen a couple of reports with the Maxxis tires, but nothing to the extent of others. I still have them and feel they are the best choice for my needs. Now all I need to do is get out there and use them!

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote