Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think 2"-3" is a little high. I just raise mine enough to just barely clear the ground as if it isn't latched, it won't have far to fall and possibly damage the landing jacks.
I can agree with that..
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Always Learning

It kills me to read stories like this. I think the Butch's Kit is only a partial solution as it was likely a brain fart that helped you do it this time. The Blue Ox Bed Saver is 5x the cost ($250, I think), but it's always active and always available to catch a dropped fiver - you don't have to remember to activate it.

Take the pull test instructions to heart. We do it every time.

Take the instructions to let the fiver "ramp up" the back of the hitch. That way it pushes the truck down and you're definitely not "high hitched".

And finally, take the "GOAL" instructions to heart - a simple look at the king pin, bar and hookup to make sure it is all hooked up OK.

These stories make me sick to my stomach. So sorry to read!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Butch has a nice 46$ king pin lock pin that could have saved your bed, not ever owning a 5th wheel camper before, this is the first mod. that we did, have pulled like ten times already and yes it has saved my tale once already, not a bad investment for $46.00 bucks"
Just curious LKicklight, how did or save your tale? I have a b&w as well, and can't think how I could mis-hitch? Would like any stories to help not have it happen.

Thanks

OP- sorry this happened. As others stated, turn it in and get everything fixed. Lesson learned. Happy Campin!

Sent by me
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It kills me to read stories like this. I think the Butch's Kit is only a partial solution as it was likely a brain fart that helped you do it this time. The Blue Ox Bed Saver is 5x the cost ($250, I think), but it's always active and always available to catch a dropped fiver - you don't have to remember to activate it.

Take the pull test instructions to heart. We do it every time.

Take the instructions to let the fiver "ramp up" the back of the hitch. That way it pushes the truck down and you're definitely not "high hitched".

And finally, take the "GOAL" instructions to heart - a simple look at the king pin, bar and hookup to make sure it is all hooked up OK.

These stories make me sick to my stomach. So sorry to read!
Totally agree. The Blue Ox Bedsaver. Size is specific to your hitch. For the Valley/Husky 15k is $202 from eTrailer from memory. Cheap insurance for sure. Seen it happen and also makes me cringe.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

For the PullRite Superglide hitch it is a complete solution. The hitch is designed to be positive locking by its very nature as you can see.

With the Butch style catch bar the pin actually blocks the pinbox adapter to it can not move aft even if you unlock the hitch completely.

It takes up NO room in the bed at all and you have complete access 360 degrees around the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0526.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	44068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0527.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44069   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1043.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	44070   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1045.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	44071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1048.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	44072  

Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #26

Bed Saver

Anything is better than nothing at all. Depends on what you have to spend in the long run, at least we do all have a choice should take advantage of those choices from the very beginning!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
For the PullRite Superglide hitch it is a complete solution. The hitch is designed to be positive locking by its very nature as you can see.

With the Butch style catch bar the pin actually blocks the pinbox adapter to it can not move aft even if you unlock the hitch completely.

It takes up NO room in the bed at all and you have complete access 360 degrees around the hitch.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Just curious LKicklight, how did or save your tale? I have a b&w as well, and can't think how I could mis-hitch? Would like any stories to help not have it happen.
Agreed. Short of pinning the handled *open* and not closing it, I don't see how you could mis-hitch a B&W. I also have one and would appreciate knowing what happened so I can try to avoid it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #28

I filed it with the insurance company. I guess thats why you pay for it. Live and learn.

I'll be buying one of Butch's kits.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #29

Cool!

But please do not let a mechanical contrivance replace a good old fashion look see.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #30
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Since the truck was moving, your truck's collision should cover both.

As to prevention, check this out:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...kit-22699.html

X2. Awesome piece of equipment, which I installed AFTER I dropped mine, which took about 30 ft to happen. The kingpin fell onto my slider rail and did no damage (unintended benefit of a super slide from pullright). Butch's preventer takes about 15 minutes to install and should be used on ALL fivers.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #31

First Outing Out

This happened on our first outing with the 5'er, knew nothing about kin pin safety devices and no one told me about them either. Scared to death on that first outing, the kin pin had not locked itself in, we did try to pull forward with the front legs still extended about 2" off the ground, they caught the 5'er and did not damage. When we got home I posted on the forum, Butch's Pin Lock was recommended, had it on the next outing two weeks later. Have learned much more about the Hitch and how to determine when its locked or not locked, the Hitch Pin Safety Catch is just that, A BackUp Safety Device, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Agreed. Short of pinning the handled *open* and not closing it, I don't see how you could mis-hitch a B&W. I also have one and would appreciate knowing what happened so I can try to avoid it.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 12-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #32

I'll have to experiment but the front gear on my Sandpiper are hydraulic and go down one at a time until under load. They also come up one at a time. I wonder if I can hold one with my foot to get the other to start retracting.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #33

It amazes me with all these posts, no one is mentioning check lists....or can be referred to as a do list....Not only will this help you save you truck/trailer/tv antenna/stab jacks/steps/water hose/electric cord/and a multitude of other items on the list to be done and checked.....with all the free flashlights at Harbor Freight it is unthinkable not to have one in truck and each bay so you can easily grab and looking the dark hitch are to see if the jaws are coupled....we can always say there are those who have done it and those that will do it....how would you feel if the pilot in the aircraft you just got on didn t use one.....hmmmmmm....if you don t know how to use a check list and do the items listed, I am sure in one of the campground you will find a few that have them.....and will be glad to show you .....there are some posts on here and web site to give you what you need then you just customize it to fit your rig......
Take care and good luck.....homeitis and hurry is a formula for mishap even with a check list.....we use 4 lists....one for hooking up and one for unhooking..inside and out....it is too easy to crunch the awning on the tree or hit the water spigot when extending the slide.....lots of fun driving away with power cords hooker up either the one in the truck or the one to shore power.....most campers understand that when hooking and unhooking is not the time to yak....you have to be strong not to let them distract you....and if they do it is okay......just go back and start with number one on the list.....safe and cost free travels for all.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=LKicklight;515142]...we did try to pull forward with the front legs still extended about 2" off the ground, they caught the 5'er and did not damage.../QUOTE]

IMO, 2" is too much to raise the legs to do a pull test. You are subjecting the jacks to a 1000#-2000# shock load they are not designed to take in case the trailer is dropped. Just raise them enough to clear the ground.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Don't tell me you have not spent the $46 bucks for this hitch pin safety catch...has saved my tale already for having, also have a 16K Husky, no problems:
Kick …….. Installed one early last summer !!!
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #36
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
It amazes me with all these posts, no one is mentioning check lists....or can be referred to as a do list....Not only will this help you save you truck/trailer/tv antenna/stab jacks/steps/water hose/electric cord/and a multitude of other items on the list to be done and checked.....with all the free flashlights at Harbor Freight it is unthinkable not to have one in truck and each bay so you can easily grab and looking the dark hitch are to see if the jaws are coupled....we can always say there are those who have done it and those that will do it....how would you feel if the pilot in the aircraft you just got on didn t use one.....hmmmmmm....if you don t know how to use a check list and do the items listed, I am sure in one of the campground you will find a few that have them.....and will be glad to show you .....there are some posts on here and web site to give you what you need then you just customize it to fit your rig......
Take care and good luck.....homeitis and hurry is a formula for mishap even with a check list.....we use 4 lists....one for hooking up and one for unhooking..inside and out....it is too easy to crunch the awning on the tree or hit the water spigot when extending the slide.....lots of fun driving away with power cords hooker up either the one in the truck or the one to shore power.....most campers understand that when hooking and unhooking is not the time to yak....you have to be strong not to let them distract you....and if they do it is okay......just go back and start with number one on the list.....safe and cost free travels for all.....
While you are correct about checklists not being mentioned in this thread, checklists and the need to follow them has been mentioned on this forum several times including some comments from me FWIW.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #37
Denver, CO

Mine looked fine and made the appropriate noises and looked fine. I think that the safety is ESSENTIAL, with or without a checklist.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #38

So is the general consensus to go with Butch's latch vs the blue ox bedsaver? Butch's is about $80 shipped. The blue ox is close to $240.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone100 View Post
So is the general consensus to go with Butch's latch vs the blue ox bedsaver? Butch's is about $80 shipped. The blue ox is close to $240.
Sure makes sense to me, you have to get out to hook up the electrical cord, emergency brake cable, so you just insert the rod. I can do that a lot of times for $160 and Butch's doesn't take up any room in the bed.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #40

I guess I need to buy the universal kit for my hitch. Anyone using butch's with a husky 16k slider?
Closed Thread

Tags
trailer