Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

TV Mount for Main Bed - Wall

Hi Guys

Anyone mount a TV to the wall in the main bed for the 365-SAQ? Anyone have the measurements to hit the studs for the mount?

Thanks
tromler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Which trailer/motorhome do you have?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

DUH, sorry, Sandpiper 365-SAQ
Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Look at the wallpaper closely, each one of the cover strips 'should' be over a stud. Should be one or two over the dresser. Start looking in the right corner looking towards the front of the camper.

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Thanks Monty!
Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #6

So I am getting ready to put a wall mounted tv in the main bed in my 365saq.

The wall is an exterior wall. Now I am thinking that their may not be enough their to support the tv? The tv ways 17 lbs.

Anyone hang a flat screen tv in the master?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

I have seen many with TVs over the dresser at the foot of the bed. Most people use self tapping 1/4" or 5/16" that are around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" long. The stud you are drilling into is aluminum and with the bigger screws, you should be fine as long as you put a strap across it to keep it from bouncing. Much like the TV in the living area.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #8

With many of the newer ultra thin TVs on the market now, you can find 24" to 29" TVs that weigh in the 6 to 8 pound range which doesn't require a lot of support to mound. Now the down side is that some of the mounting brackets can weigh as much as the TV.

Have you tried using a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall. Or even done a knuckle knock around the area you want to mount to?

Some manufactures will prep the wall in this area to hold mounting brackets by placing a solid wood plate between the studs just for the purpose of mounting a TV.

Does this location have the antenna hook up and plug tapped in near the location you are looking at? This would also be a tale tell sign that the wall may have been prepped from the factory.

Just thinking out loud here, and sometimes my thoughts tend to wander. Yet sometimes they do hit the nail on the head......only later to bend the nail on the second strike. Proceed at your own risk as I am not a RV carpenter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express 3 nights last month.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromler View Post
Hi Guys

Anyone mount a TV to the wall in the main bed for the 365-SAQ? Anyone have the measurements to hit the studs for the mount?

Thanks
I have not found a suitable location for one myself. The only stud I've found is too close to the wall, and I picked up an electric signal also. That could have been the for the awning. An easy way to see where the studs are is to go out early in morning and see where the dew is on the side of camper, the outline of the studs is clearly visible. If I recall correct, there is a stud about 18" from wall, and then the next one is next to window. There is a big empty space full of foam between.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #10

Thanks guys

The tv I was going to put up weighs about 17lbs, my concern is two fold missing the studs....and then the bouncing around from driving down the road, ie if I don't get adequate support from the stud in concern one, then concern two will bounce her out.

There is a outlet for cable right there on the wall, maybe I will inquire with factory and see if it was prepped at all for tv mount, something tells me they didn't.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have a 32" LED tv that is very light. My wife has been on me to hang it, but I just don't see a way to do it safely on my 2012 365saq, unless there is some type of backing in the wall that I'm not picking up. My cable outlet is on the interior wall, if your's is on the outside, you may have a backing plate.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

dont understand why the factory did not place a sticker on the wall for a mounting location... ours had one (sticker) in the master and the bunk room.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
NELA

Our former TT (V-lite) came with the second TV for the bedroom, but wasn't set up for wall hanging. It was for sitting on the dresser.

While in for warranty work we asked that a swivel mount be mounted for the TV on the wall. They did it, and only charged us for the hardware.

BUT, they warned us that we shouldn't ever tow with the TV hanging on that swivel arm, to lift it out of the bracket and store it while towing. (I've read other posts here about their BR TV ripping out of the wall.) Keep in mind this mod was done by professionals who do this for a living and still we were advised to take it down before towing.

The new 5er didn't come with a second/bedroom TV but is wired for it and we're told there's a 10" backing plate there for mounting the TV. Again I think I'll let the dealer or their warranty dept. do this, IF we get it done. And again we'd take it off the wall and store it while towing. We only used the BR TV in the V-Lite once so we didn't ask that this mod be done and 2nd TV be added before we picked it up.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
NELA

Quote:
Thanks guys

The tv I was going to put up weighs about 17lbs, my concern is two fold missing the studs....and then the bouncing around from driving down the road, ie if I don't get adequate support from the stud in concern one, then concern two will bounce her out.

There is a outlet for cable right there on the wall, maybe I will inquire with factory and see if it was prepped at all for tv mount, something tells me they didn't.
tromler,

The mounting bracket/swivel arm assembly we had installed involves a 1" pin on the TV backing bracket, that simply sits/drops down into a 1" receiver tube on the swivel arm mounted on the wall. That TT, the V-Lite, was *not* prepped for wall mounting of the television...there was a length of cable coming out of the wall by the dresser, and of course an electrical outlet on the wall down near the surface of the dresser.

There are set screws to secure the pin in the bracket, but we always left out the screws because we knew we'd store it before towing.

This made for a very easy and simple set up and removal of the TV.

I don't know the brand, and we no longer have that TT, as it was done by the warranty dept. at our dealer. I'm sure you can find them with a search of "TV mount swivel arm" though.

When we saw the wiring/cable outlets on the wall in our new 5er we asked if it was set up for a TV mount and they assured us it was and said there's a 10" plate (probably wood but they didn't say it was) behind that wall where the cable and electrical outlet is (up high on that wall, BTW, close to a corner)

I feel certain your dealer can give you that information as well.

P.S. If we do have a TV installed in the BR of the 5er, we'll definitely go with that same swivel mount/bracket hardware. It's very heavy duty and good quality stuff.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #15

Thanks again all for your comments. I think in the end since it appears I need to take it off the wall while towing, that sitting it on the dresser is the easiest and most practical way when we are set up and lay it on the bed when traveling.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
NELA

Quote:
Thanks again all for your comments. I think in the end since it appears I need to take it off the wall while towing, that sitting it on the dresser is the easiest and most practical way when we are set up and lay it on the bed when traveling.

Right in the middle of the bed is where we stored ours while in tow. Never had it bounce or move around...always right there where we left it when we arrive.

We stored it screen side down, in case something bounced out of a overhead cabinet and fell.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #17

First, I better say that this post is based upon us installing a TV but not using a swivel mount. I felt that with a 32" tv and the depth of the dresser to the distance of the bed, that I could see the TV just fine with it mounted on the back wall. You can always test this by setting the TV up on the dresser and making sure you can see it and are satisfied before mounting.

I just wanted to say that I mounted a 32" flat screen in our 365SAQ bedroom over a year ago. I have never removed it when towing, and after two long trips and many many trips near by, we still have no issues. I bought my mount from monoprice.com. We have a 2012 SAQ and it was a first 2012, so the bedroom dresser design is slightly different then a later 2012 or 2013. Not sure what model you have. There is a stud right in the corner near the cable jack, and then one that is probably a good 30" or more toward the middle of the dresser. I used a Stanley stud finder and a very small diameter nail to make sure what it noted as a stud was a stud. I used the nail because it was so small that if it was a "phantom" stud, I didn't need to worry about messing up the wall. You would never be able to see the hole. I used metal screws to mount the bracket to the wall. My camper is in a building for winter storage or I'd get a picture and post for you, but this is very doable. I don't know why so many are saying you need to remove it during towing. This is probably the most stable part of the camper when towing. Before mounting this 32" we had a 19" flatscreen that stayed on the dresser on it's own stand and it was always there when we got where we were going. We didn't mount on an articulating mount, or an arm. We used a standard wall mount and the TV sits flat along the wall, with a very small angle downward. Wish I had a picture to show you. This is the mount I think I bought. Adjustable Tilting Wall Mount Bracket for LCD LED Plasma (Max 165 lbs, 30~63 inch), BLACK, UL Certified - Monoprice.com
Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Right in the middle of the bed is where we stored ours while in tow.
we have a 40inch for the back kids room and the wall is not big enough to mount (slides would hit it) so the master bed is its location while traveling

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #19

I have a 365 and mounted a 27"led on the wall directly in the middle of the dresser.
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcdp98 View Post
I have a 365 and mounted a 27"led on the wall directly in the middle of the dresser.

What type of mount did you use? Do you have measurements possibly for the screws/studs?

Tags
bed, mount, tv mount