Old 10-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

Electric systems should not be compaired to hydraulic systems. The power and speed of the hydraulics will win out every time.

I am not sure if this will work but I have tried to attach the specs for the landing gear that is used on my 2012 365 SAQ. The model number printed on my motor is a Venture M-9000-PK however I am not sure if this is the same unit that is installed on other sandpiper campers.

According to the information provided on the spec sheet, the landing gear should raise at the rate of 2.5 inches per minute. My unit also is having a hard time and is slowing to under 1.5 inches per minute. I see where Venture offers the option to use dual motors which increases the power and speed. There is also a possibly that a faster more powerful motor could be substituted.

I have also noticed that the circuit feeding my unit is using a #10 awg wire. In addition, the circuit is fed by a hard wired full power raise/lower switch rather than a motor mounted solenoid. In most DC motor applications that I have seen, a reversing solenoid is used and the three-way switch operates the solenoid only. This allows full power to be applied to the motor with minimum voltage drop. There is a possibility that this could be causing some of the problem when lifting heavier weights.

I have contacted Lippert who makes the Venture power kit and asked them for suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pk specs and installation.pdf (20.4 KB, 156 views)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Maybe a suggestion but many may not know that the jacks have grease zerks and many may be dry.
just saying.
I actually don't consider mine a problem speed wise but considering installing a second motor on the non motor side for more torque?
any one else?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjimt View Post
Electric systems should not be compaired to hydraulic systems. The power and speed of the hydraulics will win out every time.

I am not sure if this will work but I have tried to attach the specs for the landing gear that is used on my 2012 365 SAQ. The model number printed on my motor is a Venture M-9000-PK however I am not sure if this is the same unit that is installed on other sandpiper campers.

According to the information provided on the spec sheet, the landing gear should raise at the rate of 2.5 inches per minute. My unit also is having a hard time and is slowing to under 1.5 inches per minute. I see where Venture offers the option to use dual motors which increases the power and speed. There is also a possibly that a faster more powerful motor could be substituted.

I have also noticed that the circuit feeding my unit is using a #10 awg wire. In addition, the circuit is fed by a hard wired full power raise/lower switch rather than a motor mounted solenoid. In most DC motor applications that I have seen, a reversing solenoid is used and the three-way switch operates the solenoid only. This allows full power to be applied to the motor with minimum voltage drop. There is a possibility that this could be causing some of the problem when lifting heavier weights.

I have contacted Lippert who makes the Venture power kit and asked them for suggestions.
Good job researching.

I agree with the separate motors and powering the solenoids instead of the motors. I'm a drag racer and you always supply power directly to the device (fuel pump, water pump and cooling fans) and switch on and off through a solenoid. That way it ensures full voltage to the device.

I have no doubt that those changes will dramatically improve the raising/lowering speed under load.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #14

anyone have an idea what a second motor would cost?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Beaty View Post
anyone have an idea what a second motor would cost?
$300 dollars plus freight. I just did this change using Venture Mfg parts. Anyone interested in that or using a heavy duty reversing relay, give me a shout.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #16

Spencer,

Sorry to hear about your tire problem - I have always been partial to Goodyear tires and have some doubts concerning the tires thay are now using.

I just ordered a reversing relay to install on my existing landing gear motor. It is the same relay used on the Hydraulic Slide Motor and is manufactured by Trombetta Motion Technologies. It is a model number is 214-1231-A61. At a cost of $67 delivered, it was the least expensive option to try first. If this does not work out, I will install a second motor and reversing relay. I have included some pdf files showing the relay and how to connect it.

Once it is installed and operational I will submit a follow up post on the outcome.

If you are interested I have also ordered some gas struts for the front and side compartments from a company called www.hatchlift.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D03508RevD.pdf (230.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: pdf Installing-RP-Contactor.pdf (78.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Thanks donna and bigjimt. you all must be pretty handy at doing those kinds of things. i don't have enough confidence in myself to do that, so I would have my dealer get the extra motor and have them to install it.

Just like the photos you sent me bigjimt, i guess the first one was a picture of the new motor...maybe? i just get lost and have to see things done for myself, more of a hands on learner.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #18

how does this reversing relay work, I am a little confused. If you can, please explain it like you are talking to an idiot, because I am one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjimt View Post
Spencer,

Sorry to hear about your tire problem - I have always been partial to Goodyear tires and have some doubts concerning the tires thay are now using.

I just ordered a reversing relay to install on my existing landing gear motor. It is the same relay used on the Hydraulic Slide Motor and is manufactured by Trombetta Motion Technologies. It is a model number is 214-1231-A61. At a cost of $67 delivered, it was the least expensive option to try first. If this does not work out, I will install a second motor and reversing relay. I have included some pdf files showing the relay and how to connect it.

Once it is installed and operational I will submit a follow up post on the outcome.

If you are interested I have also ordered some gas struts for the front and side compartments from a company called www.hatchlift.com
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Beaty View Post
how does this reversing relay work, I am a little confused. If you can, please explain it like you are talking to an idiot, because I am one
Basically a reversing relay is a very heavy duty switch that is controlled by a very small switch. Push small switch in direction A and the relay is pulled in sending voltage in direction A. Push small switch in direction B and the relay sends the voltage in reverse.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #20

Donn,

After contacting Venture Engineering Department, we agreed that trying the reversing relay would be worth a try. However, it was stated that my Sandpiper 365 SAQ is over 40 feet long and considered by them to be a Heavy Camper. They highly recommend using Dual Motors.

According to Venture, the existing follower leg and cross shaft must be removed. Then another Lead Leg with motor/gearbox/wiring will replace it. The kit is like you said $300 + shipping.

I have just one question for you:

How high above level did you need to raise the front of your camper to remove and install the new leg? The front of my camper is about 1/2 degree above level while resting on my truck. Anything higher would require that I block the camper.

Tags
5er