Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #21

Zero! I simply placed hydraulic jacks under the front frame member just behind the existing jack leg. I then retracted the leg about an inch and took it out. If you open the front compartment and take a look you will see two clamps that hold the leg in place. On the back side of the leg there is a bump out in the leg tube that fits under the clamp holding it in place. I put the entire leg together and other than a skinned knuckle and some blood the whole job took me less than an hour. Since I already have a reversing relay in place I simply unhooked the first motor and powered the curb side leg to be sure it worked. I then hooked both to my existing relay. In the past I had problems with my motor gear box assy so I have added an up limit switch to the street side leg. in the near future I will add a second reversing relay and up limit switch for the new leg too. I ordered my reversing relay from Texas Industrial Electric several years ago. they are great people to deal with. Give them a call and tell them what you want to do and how much current draw you will have and they will send you the correct relay and wiring diagram. Mount the relay and run the wiring and you are good to go.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #22

I have a 345ret and yes the jacks are slow but your lifting over 2100 pounds with a very small 12 volt motor. A motor that small has to me really gear reducted or it would burn out instantly. A larger motor with 5 times the rpm would be nice.
Jim Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #23

If you have followed this thread you would have read that when purchased, the landing gear on my 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ was not only slow but sounded as though it was straining. To make this short, I added a reversing relay to control the landing gear motor and there was improvement.

Results:
The motor no longer sounds as though it is straining.
The motor now raises the camper slightly over 2.5 inches per minute.
(Actually it now raises as fast as it lowers.)

Cost:
The relay, hardware kit, fuse, and wire cost roughly $75. I was able to use the existing switch and much of the wire.

Time:
It took about 1.5 hours to complete the job.

Difficulty: Moderate
You will need Electrical Skills to re-wire and some mechanical ability to install hardware.

NOTE:
Do not expect this MOD to speed up the lifting speed faster than the stated 2.5 inches per minute. Do not expect this MOD to compensate for a heavily loaded front end - you may need to use two motors in this case.

If you are interested in doing this yourself and need additional information please do contact me.
Bigjimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #24

Thanks, read the earlier threads and will follow your advise and install the relay. Thanks agine
Jim Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er