Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Cut to the quick - dealer winterized, hope you took picture of winterized sticker, dealer responsible. Any problem Lawyer - up for lost camping time. By the way who's the dealer?
I asked the same question a ways back...Who is the dealer that botched the winterize???

Far as Lawyering up. camping is not compensatory damages in a court of law. Negligence leading to damage of equipment is.

Camping is recreation and as such is not worth anything monetary.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Cut to the quick - dealer winterized, hope you took picture of winterized sticker, dealer responsible. Any problem Lawyer - up for lost camping time. By the way who's the dealer?

They know. They are taking care of this issue and what else may pop up. They will be pressurizing the entire water system. Removing belly and investigating. I won't post dealer name as of yet.
seanrohatyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I asked the same question a ways back...Who is the dealer that botched the winterize???

Far as Lawyering up. camping is not compensatory damages in a court of law. Negligence leading to damage of equipment is.

Camping is recreation and as such is not worth anything monetary.
Yeah exactly. And I'm "ignorant" for questioning someone who is double talking..... LOL!!!!!!

And negligence would also have to be proven as malice I believe. If they made the error as an honest mistake they'd be liable for making the damage right. To get any compensation beyond that they'd have to be proven to have done it knowingly and on purpose.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #44

Hard for me to believe that W/H is only 2 years old !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Hard for me to believe that W/H is only 2 years old !!!

If that hot water tank isn't two years old then Forest River has some major issues they need to deal with when building campers.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #46

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Actually the water heaters sit outside on a skid, shipped from manufacturing company, the tanks might sit outside too prior to assembly. There would be an opportunity for the outside of the tank to have rust.

As far as being nasty, it just drives people away from constructive suggestions and solutions. I joined a SOB forum and none of this happens there.

The OP said the dealer was going to fix it 3 pages back, good and I hope he has no further issues with this problem.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Actually the water heaters sit outside on a skid, shipped from manufacturing company, the tanks might sit outside too prior to assembly. There would be an opportunity for the outside of the tank to have rust.

As far as being nasty, it just drives people away from constructive suggestions and solutions. I joined a SOB forum and none of this happens there.

The OP said the dealer was going to fix it 3 pages back, good and I hope he has no further issues with this problem.

The dealer came and picked it up this morning and I hope they keep me informed of issues that arise and not hide it since the dealer is an hour away.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #48

I don't really see that the OP said or did anything wrong.
If I understand the chain of events.

1. Camper had a warranty issue (paint I think) while still under warranty.

2. Dealer acknowledged the warranty issue and agreed to do the work after the season so the family doesn't lose camping time even though by the end of the season the warranty would expire.

3 End of season, they drop off the camper for the warranty work and since it's gonna be there a long time and winter is coming, the OP also pays the dealer to winterize for them.

4 The dealer obviously does a horrendously bad job winterizing and damage is discovered in the spring when starting the new season.

The tank on an RV water heater is meant to stay dry on the outside and is bare metal under the insulation. I'm not surprised it looks like that after the tank burst and got water between the tank and insulation where the anode would be no help.

To the OP, I wish you the best and hope all gets repaired/replaced and there is no lasting damage. There's no excuse for someone you paid to winterize not draining the water heater.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #49

Never understood how the Anode system got any play here anyway. Not a part of anything that happened.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I don't really see that the OP said or did anything wrong.

If I understand the chain of events.

1. Camper had a warranty issue (paint I think) while still under warranty.

2. Dealer acknowledged the warranty issue and agreed to do the work after the season so the family doesn't lose camping time even though by the end of the season the warranty would expire.

3 End of season, they drop off the camper for the warranty work and since it's gonna be there a long time and winter is coming, the OP also pays the dealer to winterize for them.

4 The dealer obviously does a horrendously bad job winterizing and damage is discovered in the spring when starting the new season.

The tank on an RV water heater is meant to stay dry on the outside and is bare metal under the insulation. I'm not surprised it looks like that after the tank burst and got water between the tank and insulation where the anode would be no help.

To the OP, I wish you the best and hope all gets repaired/replaced and there is no lasting damage. There's no excuse for someone you paid to winterize not draining the water heater.

Ray

You got it all correct. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrohatyn View Post
If that hot water tank isn't two years old then Forest River has some major issues they need to deal with when building campers.
Like the software in our Magnadine,,, 3 years older than our MH !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #52
Site Team

If the WH was not drained then it was most likely full of water. It then froze significantly to do the damage shown in the photo. If it then thawed slowly the water in it would have leaked out and in between the steel tank and the foam insulation. It would have stayed wet in there since it began to thaw until it was discovered which could easily explain the amount of corrosion in the photo.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If the WH was not drained then it was most likely full of water. It then froze significantly to do the damage shown in the photo. If it then thawed slowly the water in it would have leaked out and in between the steel tank and the foam insulation. It would have stayed wet in there since it began to thaw until it was discovered which could easily explain the amount of corrosion in the photo.

X2
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #54

I don't blame you for not telling the dealers name as long is they are repairing the damage. I won a law suit once and part of the agreement was I couldn't tell how terrible the work was by x company. I could tell that the work was terrible, but not mention their name.
On the other hand if they don't stand up and take care of you then you could broadcast their name to everyone. If they do take care of you then it would go along way saying a company took care of you and treated you right with out mentioning they screwed up in the first place. If you were pleased with their warranty and they take care of this, then I would say they are an honest dealer and worthy of looking into for future work.
Sometimes when you first look at something like this you might not remember everything that took place or how it happened, but as you sort out everything you can pin point how things happen.
Good luck to you and I hope they get you back up and camping with out much lost camping time. Please let us know when you get you camper back and what was done.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
I don't blame you for not telling the dealers name as long is they are repairing the damage. I won a law suit once and part of the agreement was I couldn't tell how terrible the work was by x company. I could tell that the work was terrible, but not mention their name.
On the other hand if they don't stand up and take care of you then you could broadcast their name to everyone. If they do take care of you then it would go along way saying a company took care of you and treated you right with out mentioning they screwed up in the first place. If you were pleased with their warranty and they take care of this, then I would say they are an honest dealer and worthy of looking into for future work.
Sometimes when you first look at something like this you might not remember everything that took place or how it happened, but as you sort out everything you can pin point how things happen.
Good luck to you and I hope they get you back up and camping with out much lost camping time. Please let us know when you get you camper back and what was done.

Will do. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #56

****UPDATE****
Camper is done waiting to find out if it will be delivered tomorrow. My only day off. If they can't then I will go get it. (I can deal with that.)
I hope it's fixed to where I am happy. Water lines pressure tested ok. New hot water tank. No charge that my wife told me.
My wife got an email address from them off of Facebook. 3 days after stating the issue I got an email back from a sales manager. (Was hoping for one from the owner of general manager). Got an apology. Was hoping for a bit more ass kissing for all of the inconvenience of having to dismantle a seasonal site and put it all back together.
Will see if it looks like a camper that was in the same condition before I put water to it.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #57

Pretty sure you got a new heater, Suburban years ago took the tank off the parts list, cheaper to renew unit than change out due field labor.
Good deal on your outcome!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water