Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Who has the slide out selector valves?

We are looking at a purchasing a new unit and one of the units has the slide out selector valves and the other doesn't of course. This seems like it could be very handy and nice to have but I'm not sure. I was curious to see if anyone has it on their unit and what they think of it? Thanks
ndwiginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don't think I would consider a unit where I couldn't individually control slides. There are too many cases where we want just one specific slide to come out OR only want slides out on one side.

Now, rumor has it- the slides work on the order of easiest to move to hardest to move. If you have someone outside and push on the first slide to stop it from coming out, it'll move onto the next one.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Slide selector is really nice when your traveling. In our 371, we have to open our dinning/ couch slide to get to the fridge.

It's definitely very convenient to have.
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #4

Yep...would not want one without it. Like has been said there are times I do not want to open or even close all the slides. If you need to close the slide that is the last of the group to close (or open) you have to sit and wait for the other two first...hodee do dee do.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #5

I bought off the lot, and didn't think about the selector being an option. I was disappointed when I got it home and realized that it was an option that mine didn't have. However, it has not been a problem yet. We only have one trip so far, but when I stopped for beer before entering the campground (no beer allowed), I simply put it in the outdoor kitchen fridge. We will typically pack the indoor fridge before we leave, so it shouldn't be a problem.

All the food is added at home. It's the extra beer that is needed before we arrive!

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

We don't have it, but it hasn't been a problem. We can get to bath and fridge without putting out slides. It would be nice to have. Are there other trade offs between the units you are looking at?
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #7

My Georgetown has individual switches for each of the three slides.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
Yep...would not want one without it. Like has been said there are times I do not want to open or even close all the slides. If you need to close the slide that is the last of the group to close (or open) you have to sit and wait for the other two first...hodee do dee do.
X2!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
edt

My cottage has 1 switch but at the pump there are valves to control each slide
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't think I would consider a unit where I couldn't individually control slides. There are too many cases where we want just one specific slide to come out OR only want slides out on one side.

Now, rumor has it- the slides work on the order of easiest to move to hardest to move. If you have someone outside and push on the first slide to stop it from coming out, it'll move onto the next one.
X2.
The factory rep also told me to keep them turned off while traveling down the road to avoid the possibility of a slide coming out inadvertently. Not sure if that is possible but I keep the selectors in the off position for added security.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
X2.

The factory rep also told me to keep them turned off while traveling down the road to avoid the possibility of a slide coming out inadvertently. Not sure if that is possible but I keep the selectors in the off position for added security.

Don't think that's possible, even in the on position.
denali15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #12

We have just purchased a 2016 Cardinal Fifth Wheel 3250 RL with three individual control valves for the three slides. We were told by the sales engineer that we could easily isolate each slide from deployment or retraction by opening/closing each individual valve and then activating the remote control to deploy or retract the slides. What he did not tell us is that the computer control system that controls the action does not start or stop the deployment or retraction of any individual slide upon activation of the buttons on our remote control device. There is often a few seconds of unwanted extension upon release of the button on the remote. We almost knocked down our neighboring brick wall before we realized the problem!!

I would have preferred a control system for our three slide-outs that was engineered with three, separate electrical motors to activate the slides, in or out, with a selector switch for each slide. With that system you would have positive control over each slide.

That said, we are living with our new Cardinal and learning to predict when the slide deployment control stops before it hits our neighbor's retaining wall. We are also striving to be patient with the lack of response from Dennis Dillon RV in Westminster, CA, in regard to our ongoing warranty claims issues. So far, after nearly five months of effort, their response has been totally unacceptable.

My advice: get the individual control valves for your slides, and never deal with DDRV in Westminster, CA.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by denali15 View Post
Don't think that's possible, even in the on position.
If a leak develops in any of the hoses, fittings, or rams it certainly can move. Closing all the valves limits the chance by atleast 50%
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately, I have found out that FR has dropped the option for having the slide selector valves due to not many people adding the option. Hoping to find a 16 model that was ordered with it still sitting at a dealership somewhere but not having much luck so far...
ndwiginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #15
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndwiginton View Post
thanks everyone for the replies. Unfortunately, I have found out that FR has dropped the option for having the slide selector valves due to not many people adding the option. Hoping to find a 16 model that was ordered with it still sitting at a dealership somewhere but not having much luck so far...
I wouldn't make it a deal breaker. You can either manually hold the one slide in that you don't want out. If you really want the option, either contact Lippert to get the parts to convert it OR bring it to your local tractor hydraulic shop and they can recommend valves for you.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I wouldn't make it a deal breaker. You can either manually hold the one slide in that you don't want out. If you really want the option, either contact Lippert to get the parts to convert it OR bring it to your local tractor hydraulic shop and they can recommend valves for you.
Saw some "CC" 5ers yesterday with "updated" valves......You should be able to do an updated mod...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
select, slide, slide out, valve