Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Is there any way you can pinpoint on the pictures where the missing weld is, and where the frame is broken? From an engineering perspective, I'm trying to confirm if one caused the other, and if so, which one was the first failure, but not sure where each is. As of now, you have 2 points of failure, (a weld and a crack). Can you say with certainty which one was caused first? I'm just playing devil's advocate here, as I'm curious, because I own a Sierra, as to if there was neglect by the previous owner or if it was indeed a defect.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #32
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
This one shows a separation caused by a cold tack weld, you should/could assume that that failure would have disastrous consequences.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6415.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	71195
__________________

__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #33
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I would definitely get Lippert on the line. I would also get Forest River as well. This is a Quality Control Issue and should have never been assembled to that camper. This was a line or final inspector that didn't do their job This is a duel quality control problem If you are a member of FROG Bob Byrne he could get you the contact info and name of the plant manager where the Sierra 5th wheels are built.In Indiana
The root cause is the welder didn't do his job and the problem grew because the inspector didn't find it.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
But is this weld on a corner or is it "T'd" into the opposing beam? If T'd in, is it welded down the backside where we can't see? Is there additional structural bracing that's welded to the backside of this? I've seen structures that have been welded down just one side of a cross brace. I'm only saying this, because at the moment, by looking at only pictures from one angle, I'm only getting part of the story. Without some kind of additional welding, I don't see how that tack weld lasted 10yrs.

Since this is a toy hauler, what kind of "toys" are you hauling?
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #35
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The root cause is the welder didn't do his job and the problem grew because the inspector didn't find it.
There's an inspector, that assumes quality control.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #36
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
There's an inspector, that assumes quality control.
Still doesn't change the root cause. That's where the corrective action has to start. Inspectors do not weld, but they ARE supposed to catch the errors.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Is there any way you can pinpoint on the pictures where the missing weld is, and where the frame is broken? From an engineering perspective, I'm trying to confirm if one caused the other, and if so, which one was the first failure, but not sure where each is. As of now, you have 2 points of failure, (a weld and a crack). Can you say with certainty which one was caused first? I'm just playing devil's advocate here, as I'm curious, because I own a Sierra, as to if there was neglect by the previous owner or if it was indeed a defect.
Both problems occurred on the driver side of the cab....the single cold weld is the very front driver side corner of the hitch pin and the cracked frame is the driver side support beam from hitch pin to vertical support connecting it to the chassis frame.

Can I say which occurred first...not really but a logical guess is the negligent single weld occurred first which put additional stress (no longer distributing the stress across both 2 support beams) on the driver side beam which caused it to fail and was revealed throught the stress cracked in the fiberglass...bad welder at Lippert, negligent QC at Lippert and grossly negligent QC at Forest River.

I've seen pics on this forum were people removed the under skin and added piece of angle iron and welded over the front corners of the hitch pin area to reinforce it...I'm guessing that would have saved me the cracked frame.
__________________
savente29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
But is this weld on a corner or is it "T'd" into the opposing beam? If T'd in, is it welded down the backside where we can't see? Is there additional structural bracing that's welded to the backside of this? I've seen structures that have been welded down just one side of a cross brace. I'm only saying this, because at the moment, by looking at only pictures from one angle, I'm only getting part of the story. Without some kind of additional welding, I don't see how that tack weld lasted 10yrs. Since this is a toy hauler, what kind of "toys" are you hauling?

I have only taken an electric golf cart and the previous owner took his Harley....it has never been overloaded.
__________________
savente29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
I sent an email with photos to Robby Olsen at the FR Railto plant. He asked for pictures and "concerns" for his management review process...he might get back to me next week. Keep you all posted...anyone know of someone that has had to sue these companies or did they just let the insurance company handle?
__________________
savente29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by savente29 View Post
Both problems occurred on the driver side of the cab....the single cold weld is the very front driver side corner of the hitch pin and the cracked frame is the driver side support beam from hitch pin to vertical support connecting it to the chassis frame.

Can I say which occurred first...not really but a logical guess is the negligent single weld occurred first which put additional stress (no longer distributing the stress across both 2 support beams) on the driver side beam which caused it to fail and was revealed throught the stress cracked in the fiberglass...bad welder at Lippert, negligent QC at Lippert and grossly negligent QC at Forest River.

I've seen pics on this forum were people removed the under skin and added piece of angle iron and welded over the front corners of the hitch pin area to reinforce it...I'm guessing that would have saved me the cracked frame.
One of the first things that comes to mind is, why did it take so long for that weld to break? Can you see the opposite side of that beam with the broken weld? To me, it looks like that weld wouldn't have held to pull it off the assembly line. Although, one would think that the weld would have caused the frame to crack, I'm leaning towards just the opposite. Had the weld at the kingpin crossmember given up first, the stress would have been put on the other crossmember welds. With the frame cracking first, it would have put a twist on the kingpin crossmembers and would have caused the weakest weld to break. I'm still just theorizing here and this is by no means an accurate assumption, since I've only seen pictures and I'm visualizing what you are telling me about locations. I hope you find satisfaction.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5er, frame, sierra

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.