Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

2013 Sierra 365 SAQ

• Hi Everyone, We bought Our 2013 Sierra 365 SAQ back in July .I wanted to get the “newness” out of my System before I gave you an update .Its Big And its Beautiful. There are a few Issues with it. The Slam latch doors do slam and lock, but you can still pull them open. It was the same on the outside kitchen, but those have an adjustment so they are good to go. There is no light inside the front Compartment? I really don’t understand that. The Quick release coiled hose setup is nice .We got the awnings for the slides. 2 of the 4 awnings “Pool Water” Any Ideas on a fix would be great .The back light lenses are held in with wire rings that can be easily removed and stolen .The Grill is nice as well as the outside Kitchen . The Blue and White lights are awesome. The electric awning is pretty cool. I think I will like it as much as the old style. I just can’t get use to putting out the awning while I’m inside and not watching it to make sure its ok. Yes I stop a lot and look, lol. I think my awning has “slid” because the last time it rolled up, the arms were not lined up 100%.The Bunk house is Great for my girls and plenty of room for their friends. I think all campers that have bunks should have ladders included. I kept my old one. We went with the “trifold” couch. It’s really nice and very comfortable. We recommend the automatic fan that we have in the bunkhouse. The vents are too high to reach so just hit the switch. Plenty of Closet room for the girls too. The 2 rooms with fans have the fan switch closest to the door, so remember that if its dark .For the living area, we went with the “Party Couch”. We love it. The tables are not very sturdy and move a lot when people on the couch move, but a lot of room and we alternate the tables as to what’s going on. We had 7 people eating one night and had room for more. It’s big and Beautiful. The recessed lights seem to go out one at a time, I found nothing wrong, just a tap and they come back on. The TV and entertainment center is great. I am however going to make a change in light switches. The living room lights are behind the “control Panel” door. And the Outside outlet for the awning lights is on the wall Next to the Television. I will swap these so I don’t have to open that door each time I turn the lights off and on. I did want a Phone jack. We are seasonal and a phone is handy. I didn’t get the Jack so I put one in myself. You won’t believe the space behind the storage walls, my girls could have a playhouse in there. Wow. The Stairs to the bedroom are weak. They are made with 1x1 pieces of wood and you can feel them give as you walk on them. Didn’t I say this is big and Beautiful? The big bathroom is nice. I do have to replace some screws in the shower unit that are already rusted. The King bed is nice but my wife bought a foam top mattress pad and made it a lot better. The recessed reading lights are nice, except when my wife reads, I can’t shut mine off. I suggest the units that swivel and have separate shut offs on them. I did tow this unit and it hauled awesome. I used my 2002 GMC 2500HD Crew cab Gas, yes gas. It lacked some in the hills but did fine. I was in no hurry. Like I said, it’s only once a year. If I were to haul this unit more, I would go 2500 diesel or 3500 gas and air bags for a 2 inch lift pending on the truck. Yes, this unit is a head turner. I hope you don’t see this as a complaint, I just wanted to share our experience with you. We have had a lot of Compliments on this unit. Thanks for reading.
holmesteam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #2

My 365 was one of the first ones made. They are awesome units! From what I have been told, the ladder issue(not being provided) has something to do with a liability. Most people make one out of pvc pipe with Ts and caps. I had trouble pulling my camper with an 8.1L, but only on the interstates. Around other roads, not much trouble, although my camper weighs almost 1k pounds more than the newer ones. There is not another floor plan out there that fits my needs like this. Good luck with the new unit and happy camping!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #3

These posts couldn't have come at a better time! We have put a deposit on a 2011 365saq. Like you, there just isn't another floor plan that fits our needs and finding a used one much cheaper than a new one was just the perfect situation for us. We are looking for a new TV and are considering a 2002 2500HD 8.1 liter with a 4:10 axle ratio with 53K miles, which we will be inspecting this weekend so your input may be crucial to our decision. My husband refuses to get a diesel because of the costs involved and we have not had any luck in finding a dually with low mileage. Any input you can share on the 2500 8.1 set-up would be greatly appreciated.
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We fell in love with ours from the moment we saw one at a show. Looked at many, but none of them fit our needs like the 365saq. One of the mods I did also, was to add legs to the fold down bunk. Our late model 2012, doesn't have the switch for awning lights, so I added a remote control outlet. My 5yr old thinks she controls the lights by clapping, jumping up and down, and saying abra cadabra.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb6262 View Post
These posts couldn't have come at a better time! We have put a deposit on a 2011 365saq. Like you, there just isn't another floor plan that fits our needs and finding a used one much cheaper than a new one was just the perfect situation for us. We are looking for a new TV and are considering a 2002 2500HD 8.1 liter with a 4:10 axle ratio with 53K miles, which we will be inspecting this weekend so your input may be crucial to our decision. My husband refuses to get a diesel because of the costs involved and we have not had any luck in finding a dually with low mileage. Any input you can share on the 2500 8.1 set-up would be greatly appreciated.
What kind of traveling are you considering with the trailer? If you are planning only short excursions, you would probably be fine with the 8.1. My previous truck was an '06 2500HD with 6.0L, and I hated the lack of power towing my 7000lb TT, and wouldn't even consider driving over 2hrs. My 2500HD diesel has no problems towing the 365, but it is a crew cab, long bed, so it does have a long wheelbase. In all reality, aside from the 55k sticker, the duramax has been as cheap, or cheaper, to operate. Regardless, you'll love the 365saq.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #6

I Talked to afew of my friends,They are mechanics and told me more about my truck then I knew. I would talk to a few Mechanics.If the truck has the hitch, I have heard of people going to the dealer and hooking up to a camper close to what they are buying to see how it hauls and sets.If your going to haul it alot,You will want the power for the hills.Good luck , You will enjoy it.=)
Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #7

Can you tell me more about the legs you put on your fold down bunk? Thank you.I think that is a better fix then a ladder for that style bunk bed The Pvc is a great Idea and light weight for a ladder for the other side,
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesteam4 View Post
Can you tell me more about the legs you put on your fold down bunk? Thank you.I think that is a better fix then a ladder for that style bunk bed The Pvc is a great Idea and light weight for a ladder for the other side,
I just made 2 wooden legs that hinge down from a section of oak that I screwed to the bottom of the bed. I made this in a hurry, as I only had a day from when we picked it up, to leaving on a trip. I have since made an aluminum frame with fold down legs. I plan on installing a couple fold down trays also, as I'm going to cover the bottom of the bunk in dry erase board for my little one to use as an easel while it's folded up.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Not putting down the 8.1L, as you can see in my sig, I still have one. However, the 8.1 lacks the torque to pull at interstates speeds. Very true, if you take your time, you can go anywhere pulling most anything. Even with Allison, I had a lot of down/up shifting with it. I am not saying it could not handle it, however my diesel pulls it much better. Granted it is a 9 year newer truck. I agree, you should drive and pull a camper near the weight of the 365. That being said, remember that the 365 is a 'high profile' 5er, meaning you will have a LOT of wind hitting the nose. Another reason the 8.1L had trouble pulling it. Please do not get me wrong. I love the 8.1. I just realized, for my use, the diesel was a better fit. Congrats on the camper and good luck in your decision with the truck.
On a side note, I forgot to reply to your earlier post about the slide toppers. I personally would not have a camper without them. That being said, the long slide toppers(main slide) will eventually stretch a little bit and hold water. They make an inflatable 'wedge' that can be put under them to shed off water and to keep heavy snow fall from ruining them.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #10

My buddy pulls a 2012 365saq with a 8.1 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears. Spring break of this year we ran together from Va to pigeon forge, tn close to 500 miles on way. His truck did fine. Just had to stop a lot for him to get gas due to small tank on the truck. He gets @ 7.5 mpg pulling. Ours is a 2011 355QBQ, both weigh in about the same. I pull with a 08 F-450, 4x4, 6 speed manual with 4.88 gears. Mine pulls like nothing is behind it, the torque of a diesel is much more than the gas. I get @ 11.5 mpg pulling with my truck. As with any truck, anything over 70 will kill your mpg. I try to run @ 68 with mine being geared so low. Crossing the Smokeys (Black mountain) slowed him down some, but he had never towed in the mountains before. On the return trip home I put him in front and followed. We shaved an hour off the trip home since he had gotten more use to pulling in the rolling hills. Either way, gas or diesel they should pull it fine. A lot of gas can br bought for the extra 6-7k mark up of a diesel. Just don't get in a hurry. Any accident would ruin a family trip!
Superdutykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdutykid View Post
My buddy pulls a 2012 365saq with a 8.1 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with 4.10 gears. Spring break of this year we ran together from Va to pigeon forge, tn close to 500 miles on way. His truck did fine. Just had to stop a lot for him to get gas due to small tank on the truck. He gets @ 7.5 mpg pulling. Ours is a 2011 355QBQ, both weigh in about the same. I pull with a 08 F-450, 4x4, 6 speed manual with 4.88 gears. Mine pulls like nothing is behind it, the torque of a diesel is much more than the gas. I get @ 11.5 mpg pulling with my truck. As with any truck, anything over 70 will kill your mpg. I try to run @ 68 with mine being geared so low. Crossing the Smokeys (Black mountain) slowed him down some, but he had never towed in the mountains before. On the return trip home I put him in front and followed. We shaved an hour off the trip home since he had gotten more use to pulling in the rolling hills. Either way, gas or diesel they should pull it fine. A lot of gas can br bought for the extra 6-7k mark up of a diesel. Just don't get in a hurry. Any accident would ruin a family trip!

Thanks for your reply. To hear about your experience with the same trailer we will be buying is invaluable. According to the Trailerlife towing guides, this trailer would be within the truck's capacity. We also spoke with someone at GM who confirmed this. We know that our mileage will pretty much suck but we're used to it as our Tundra gets less than 10mpg towing our 6,200lb travel trailer and we stop quite often to fill up. We went to Gatlinburg a couple of weeks ago, our first time really towing through the mountains and it was between 8 & 9mpg but the Toy handled the mountains like a champ.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #12

Thanks for all your help guys! We are picking up a 3500HD 8.1 Dually on Monday! Low miles and got a great deal on it. AND we inspected our 365saq today...40 feet of pure awesomeness!! We take delivery on Saturday and just can't wait.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #13

Congratulations!!!! The truck should do fine. Enjoy your 365!!!!
Superdutykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

FYI ... 34 Red Solo cups fit perfectly in the outside kitchen cabinets when stacked.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #15

Good to see your thoughts. We too bought our 365 in June and have just returned from a month on the road and 6000 miles behind us. Being 8 ft longer than our last 5er our GMC with Alisson and Duramax barely knew it was back there even in the Rockies. Like you a few minor issues. 1) was with the hardware on the front closet doors which needs to be beefed up. I have made some modifications and am waiting for the parts from the dealer to make other repairs. 2) both the bathroom and entry door to the back bunk room unlatched durring our trip which took off molding on slide outs when opening the same. Barrell bolts into the jams took care of both doors. 3) both sets of drawers in the bunk room also came out far enough to catch moldings even though they were strapped. Easy fix with tv hold downs. One per drawer, screwed not just double face tape took care of this issue. We added slide toppers and a low profile front ac when we bought the unit. We also added an awning on the kitchen slide out. Having had units with and without I would never have another without. All in all it is a very nice trailer with a few minor issues.
rwpdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesteam4 View Post
  • The Slam latch doors do slam and lock, but you can still pull them open. It was the same on the outside kitchen, but those have an adjustment so they are good to go.
Hi holmesteam4, We're experiencing the same slam latch issue with our 2013 Surveyor Select. With minimal pressure on a locked slam latch handle the door would open. The pressure was so minimal that I was concerned about the door opening while traveling. A quick test from inside the locked hatch and firm pressure without touching the door handle and the latch stayed securely closed. As it turns out pulling the latch handle on a locked slam latch still moves the latch pin a minuet amount just enough for the latch to release.

Did I read your description correctly and you were able to make an adjustment for the slam latch or were you just referring to the outside kitchen door? As you can maybe tell I'm looking for options.

Thanks

Paul
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #17

We have loved ours for two seasons, and while it is the best of both worlds, it was a compromise to the big back living room we dream about. The couch they put in there, well, it sucks. So the best upgrade we have done has been to replace it with a twin recliner loveseat. Its a wall hugger type so it takes no more room than the original furniture, but makes lounging after kiddy bedtime a totally different experience. I really HIGHLY suggest that anyone in the same frame of mind does the same.. it really changes the enjoyment factor for the better.

I haven't seen any of them, but the Sierra rep told us they were changing the layout to include the lazyboy loveset as well as a few other things... any truth to that?
TitanFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365 saq