Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Bre

2014 365SAQB Air Conditioners

We purchased our RV in November of 2013. The AC in the master went out about two weeks ago, when it started getting warmer outside. We had it replaced under warranty and the new AC works great... However, we can't seem to keep the other end of the RV cooler than the mid 80's. Both AC's seen to be blowing cool air but we can't seem to even out the temp in the RV. Any suggestions? It's only June and I'm afraid what July and Aug is going to feel like in this Texas humidity heat.
Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 AM   #2

Bre. Lots of threads about this one... You can search the forum for other response threads too bit here is what I have read.

First check to see you have 2 vent registers in the rear bedroom. Some came thru with only one. If you only have one that is one too few for such a large bunk house. Cut a new one in.

Second thing is block the furthest ends of the ceiling ac ducts with cardboard and aluminum tape. Some units ceiling ducts do not have an "end" which means the cold air goes into the ceiling. To do this I imagine you need to remove the last register grill and tape/secure the cardboard to fit the inside size of the duct. Others have said this makes a difference.

I have an early year 2014 with the second ac. It hasn't been warm enough yet here in the north east to get mine cold but this weekend is supposed to be very warm so I will check how mine is and check back.

Let us know what you find.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #3

One other thing bre... You had one of the ac replaced. Remove the filter and cover to make sure they replaced the unit with a "ducked" unit and ducted it in properly. These ac units are ducted and direct vented. If you are not getting the right air flow to the ceiling ducts the rear will stay warm.
2 AC in these 365's is plenty. I would check to make sure they installed the new ac properly.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Bre

Thank you for your response. I have been reading others responses and I have already done all of the things you mentioned except for looking inside the new AC. I had not thought about that. I just went and looked and it is open to the duct work. So no problem there.

My bunkhouse had 2 vents already so I just went around and retaped all the vent a just so make sure they were not leaking into the ceiling. Some were but I have not noticed any improvement in the bunkhouse airflow. I also put a stop on each end like you and others said to do, Not much change. We looked for obstructions in the duct but there were none. I am at a point where I don't know what else I could do.

I do have another question, the thermostat, should it always have the same temperature for each zone? The bedroom is freezing as I have said and it will still say it's the same as the the living room which is noticeably warmer. I am just wondering if others thermostat does the same thing or if you can actually make the 2 zones different temperatures.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

We spent the first week of May in Florida in ours and I was less than happy with how the camper cooled, even with 2 AC's. It seemed we could hang meat in the bedroom but the living room and bunkhouse had some issues keeping up. With that said, we did have the thermostats set to 68 and it was in the 90's outside most days. The AC in the bedroom would cycle on and off but the main AC ran almost constantly and kept the living room in the mid 70's.
I have since looked more at our AC's with the inside trim off and found that the way the ducts are sealed left room for improvement. In the main AC, where the vent to run to the front of the camper connects, it was not sealed at all on one side so that cold AC is just blowing into the ceiling in the living room. I have since looked at where the vents come out and noticed they were not sealed the best either....so I have started fixing them.

Next time we get to camp (hopefully soon) I will take my IR temp gun I carry and go over the ceiling with it. Hopefully if there are any drastic differences in temps I will be able to find them with it and figure out why air is leaking into the ceiling.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

We tent to keep each zone at a different temp, just cause we can if nothing else
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

If you have the dual thermostat you can set diff temp for each. The front bedroom has it's own temp sensor
Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Bre

The temperature is always the"same" I guess something's wrong with my thermostat too. We are going to have someone come out and look at it again. Maybe they can tell me what's going on. I will post what I find out.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #9

Is this the thermostat you have?

If you are looking at the number displayed there, that is what the thermostat is set to. to see what the temperature in each zone is you have to set it to that zone and then hit the inside temp button.
For some reason that took me longer than it should have to put that together so I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Bre

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402687924.718869.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	716.4 KB
ID:	55129

The only thing different on mine is I have no outside temp. But I know what is on the screen is the set to temp. When I push the inside temp button it is the same for both zones. When I have it on zone 1 and push inside temp it will say a number. What I switch it to zone 2 it always says whatever zone 1 says. It is strange. I can't find much about these thermostats online and I had no paperwork on it with my fifth wheel. I can find the instructions but they don't help me with the problem.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #11

That's what mine looks like, the one I posted was a random picture from the internet. I didn't even notice it had "outside temp" and now that I see that, I want it

That is strange they show the same temp at each zone. Do you have another thermometer you could put in each "zone" to see what it reads? I'd be curios to see how close another device was temperature wise.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #12

Im surprised putting the stops in didnt help because if you didnt have any stops to begin with the air was rushing by the vents because that wouldve been the path of least resistance.When we put the stops in ours the air flow from the vents increased atleast 50 percent and the temp in the bunkroom is a non issue now,Very cold in there now and we stayed in myrtle beach in august.I would look for other obstructions starting with the main a/c unit back.
I have the same thermostat as yours and you should be getting two different temp when pushing the inside temp button when on different zones.I added the second ac unit myself to mine in our bedroom and I know in the schematics you had to have the temp probe conected to the right plug in the unit to have it work correctly.My bet is its as simple as it being wired wrong.There was an option to connect it as if the rv had only one zone and I bet thats how yours is wired.The temp probe is what im talking about.I know you are able to use both zones independently but there is also just a temp probe in there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Bre

We have the AC working properly now. We ended up making the front one only for the bedroom and bathroom then the one in the living room is for in there and the bunk room. Now the bunk room gets plenty of air. Might even be cooler than the living room.

My thermostat is still messed up. It will continually get colder and colder in the bedroom. I have looked at the wiring but I really don't know much about it. Looked at manuals and installation Manuals too. The thermostat wire is plugged into the p4 spot which is where I believe it is supposed to be from looking at the wiring instruction. I wonder if my wire is just messed up going to the remote sensor. Is there anything you had to do to the main AC unit to add your second AC that could be my problem? Maybe a connection in there is wrong. I don't know if it has ever worked but I believe it did at one point. I didn't really pay that much attention during the winter and now that it's hot I can definitely tell something's wrong. I even put thermometers in the bedroom and in the bunk room. There is a big difference from the from to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

I have a late 2013 saq and had to do all mentioned. I also pulled down my inside assembly and found many air leaks. I foil taped them. After we did everything I had much better air flow at all vents. I also put in a vent that I can close in the bunk house bathroom.

rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcdp98 View Post
I also put in a vent that I can close in the bunk house bathroom.

Shoot, forgot that vent. Back to storage this weekend to work on her more
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #16

To check the temp sensor in the master just blow a hair dryer at the sensor which is by the light switch. I run my bedroom a/c 2 degrees cooler but I leave the fans on high so they never shut off to balance out the temp.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #17

I did not have to touch any wiring in the main a/c wiring.
Could be a faulty thermostat?

Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 365, 365saq, air conditioner