Old 01-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

2nd A/C Unit on 2014 Siera 365SAQ

I called the dealer today to price out the second AC unit. They recommended the 15K unit. The good news is my Sierra has the Fall Program Bonus Package which includes pre-wired for dual zone A/C. I can control both A/C from the single thermostat. Yippee!!

My question is which A/C unit should I get? I am concerned by adding another unit to the highest point in on the roof increases my height/clearance when towing. Should I consider a low-profile unit? If so, any suggestions?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I have a similarly laid out + size of camper - we opted for the 15k A/C and the second A/C for the front bedroom.

I didn't take heights into account when deciding.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #3

There will be a few added inches in height when choosing the 13.5 low pro over the standard 15K unit. Just measure the height after installation and watch for clearance signs and you will be OK.

Down side that many owners with the 13.5 Low Pro unit mounted in the bed room seem to mention on a regular basis is the noise seems to be much louder than with a 15K full size unit.

I had the 13.5LP installed and do agree, for some reason it is much more loud.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Down side that many owners with the 13.5 Low Pro unit mounted in the bed room seem to mention on a regular basis is the noise seems to be much louder than with a 15K full size unit.
My bedroom unit is a 13.5k unit but not a low profile one. It's frightfully loud.

I think it's just a small room to be taking the brunt of an A/C compressor and fan.

When we run it in the summer, the fan + compressor kicking on were enough that it would periodically wake us up. We found that leaving the fan on all of the time softened the change in sounds and didn't wake us up anymore. Plus it works to block out more outside noises when we're at noisy places (Bike Week at the Shore, for instance ).
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

On the 365SAQ, the front A/C doesn't sit much (1" or less), if any, higher than the main unit. I would also opt for a 13.5k unit up front for 2 reasons.

1) The 13.5k is cheaper than the 15k and I've had mine in 105 degrees, with high humidity, and easily held inside temp at 70.

2) I have been able to run both A/C's (15 & 13.5) on a 30amp outlet, and can run the 13.5k on my 3000w inverter generator. A 3000w won't run a 15k.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #6

2nd A?C Unit on 2014 Siera 365SAQ

Both will be loud.. Its right above your head.. I have 15k and its way overkill.

Matter of fact I dont know where you live but I was in myrtle beach in august last year and the second a/c wasnt needed. Yes it may help initially when you get somewhere to cool down faster but I maintained 75 during day and as cold as I wanted at night with one a/c.. If I did it all over I wouldnt have gotten it.. It was 90s and humid when I was in myrtle..And it is loud as heck.. It will wake you up at night kicking on.

But I also buttoned up all the ductwork overhead.. It was allowing half the flow to leak into attic area.. So that helped tremendously..Others will say you need it but I dont agree if you correct the duct work.Best bet is to try it first before you spend the cash. Wish I had.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

If you don't get the second air, I am afraid you will be pretty warm in the summer. With a rig that size, I believe they should come standard with two of them, The height difference is not noticeable. Just watch as you are pulling a very high profile camper anyway.

Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #8

thank you for all the replies and opinions on the A/C's. I will have the dealer price both the 15 & 13.5.

Rtazz17, If you don't mine, I would like to hear more details on how you did the ducting work.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

We also have the fall package on ours and opted not to get the a/c unit. We have camped in 35C/95F and it was cold enough to hang meat inside. Grant it most of our campsites are in the trees which provides shade. Usually have it run all day and then have to turn it down at night.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobichaud View Post
thank you for all the replies and opinions on the A/C's. I will have the dealer price both the 15 & 13.5.

Rtazz17, If you don't mine, I would like to hear more details on how you did the ducting work.
If you take the last vent hole in the front and back off,stick your hand past each hole and you will prolly see that there is no "end" in the duct work.In other words the air blows past the last vent in line to cool the ceiling above.I put cardboard at the end of each run with duct tape to seal it.Which shouldve been done at factory.The air flow increase was dramatic through the vents.My brothers saq was the same and Ive seen others post of same issue.Had I done that in the beginning I never wouldve bought 2nd a/c unit.I advise you to try it without 2nd unit first.I would sell you mine 1/2price if it wasnt such a pia to remove from roof.Camped mid summer in south carolina and only used 1 a/c unit.Believe me I like it cold inside and it was.
The second a/c unit will not increase airflow anywhere except the master bedroom.The air is already pushing into master bed from main unit so the second unit needs to overcome the airflow against it and it just doesnt.Nothing noticable for sure.

Tags
365, 365saq