Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
30RLSS heater not working on gas or electric

We have an SW6 DE heater in our '03 30RLSS. The rocker switch inside the heater doesn't activate either the gas or the electric element. Last year it stopped heating electrically, so we occasionally used the gas to heat the tank, or just heated water on the stove for dishes. This year, nada. I looked on the panel for a fuse, couldn't find one. I did push both resets inside the heater, but didn't feel any click when I pushed them, as if they hadn't been tripped. I also notice that the wall switch reset light used to go on, and now it doesn't, as of this spring.

I bought a new heating element over the winter (haven't installed it yet). I'll go ahead and install the element, but skeptical if there's any juice going to the heater. Everything else in the camper works fine.

Hope I'm just missing something that's not obvious to me!

Thanks, Chris

46wischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Update: I replaced the heater element, filled the tank and before turning on the switch at the heater I cycled the switch inside. This time the reset light went on, then off, and then the gas heater kicked in. Obviously I was missing something, but I don't know what. This is our third year with the camper (love it) and I've used the gas hot water heater before. Oh well, spontaneous cure... Left it on so my wife could enjoy hot water. I'll test the new heating element later. That heating element takes a might big socket.

46wischris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
On our 2012 Puma it turned out to be a faulty switch. The LED light would not come on which was an indicator. Dealer sent out 2 switches which was nice. Worked after that.
2014 Sierra 365SAQ
2011 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7L Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, Air Lift WirelessONE, Reese Elite 18K w Fifth wheel Prep Package, H&S Mini Maxx
cookie12 is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, gas, heater