Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #51

Smoo,

What do you mean the front unit was mixing hot and cold and that taping it made it quieter?

I would love to add the 3rd air, $2,000 is not in my budget to do that this year, though $500-$600 is, so I am going to see if I do the work myself.

I did cut in 3 new vents, and that has made a substantial difference. I cut in one additional vent in the living room. I cut it in forward of the unit, between the slide out and the ceiling light. It's cut in on the side that supplies air to the front bedroom. I cut an additional vent into the master for those times when we have only 1 unit running due to 30amp service, and I cut a vent into the bunkhouse about 18 inches from the bathroom door. I had my dealer order the original style vents from Forest River at a very reasonable cost of about 2.50 each. I used a saber(sp) saw to cut in the vents after tracing around one of the new ones. I am very happy and will post pics this weekend. After cutting in the new vents and before inserting the bezel and vent, I used aluminum tape and sealed it off well. I am surprised at the amount of air that's moving now.

Also when we have 50amp service, I remove the vent "screen" in the master bathroom and stuff a couple t-shirts in there to stop the flow of cold air into the bedroom. This has also made a difference in the amount of air available to travel to the back. Since the vents just pop-off, it takes less then 1 minute to remove and block, and then unblock when we're back to 30amp. I'd like to find some sort of a shut-off but I think that will be much more work, and my low-budget fix works very well.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #52

Just take the filter door off the a/c and feel in there for cold air, there should b no cold air in there as that is the air that needs cooled, if there is cold air blowing in there tape it...

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #53

I am going to be putting more vents in mine!! Calling the dealer Monday to ge them to order me a couple of OEM ones. Also, just had a problem with the a/c when I go to the beach last week. My front a/c had a horrible vibration in the fan when we turned it on. Called our tech and he bet me a beer that it was a dirt dauber's nest on the back side of the fan. I climbed up, took off the cover and guess what? A dirt dauber's nest on the back of the fan blade. I guess I owe him a beer! It's incredible that something so small could cause that much vibration in the unit. Scraped it off and all was fine! Just thought I'd share in case you guys ever have anything like this.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #54

We are in Mn. It has been 95 plus on at least 7 days this summer. We have a single ac and it has kept up fine. What we have to help keep the trailer cool is slide out awnings, white or black maxxair 1 & 2 covers over each vent, vent shades on kitchen and front bedroom vents, and vent cushion for light stoppage. We do have much cooler nights, which helps. When its 95-100 during days it still drops to 60's and sometimes 50's at night. I am still looking into adding vents for faster recovery.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #55

I just ordered tinted vent covers to cut down on the sun exposure and heat coming through the sky vents. Been hit here too, i find the one ac is keeping up as long as it stays cool in the trailer. If towing it seems to take awhile to cool once we hook up at a campground but since we have been stationary for a few weeks, no problems keeping it cool
Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #56

I dont think one a/c would cool ours down at night!! We have the max air vent covers on ours
Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #57

I added 3 new vents and took some pictures of them this weekend, I will upload tonight. This was our first weekend out with all 3 new vents in operation and we only had 30amp, so we were down to 1 ac. Saturday it was 105. Trailer got to 79 at it’s warmest.

I added one new vent in the master, about 15 inches from the sliding door in line with the other vent on the closet side. I added one vent in the bunkhouse about 15-18 inches from the bathroom door, in line with the other vent, and then I added a vent in the living room, about 5 inches toward the front of the camper from the air conditioner itself, utilizing the duct work that supplies the bathroom and bedroom, so closer to the slide out then the refrigerator. I used aluminum tape on all 3 of these vents and made sure no wait would travel between the roof-line and the ducting.

We kept all window shades down, we have no vent covers, although in the bunkhouse we have a foil type cover (reminds me of a car windshield sun deflector) over the roof vent in there.

As a side note, I’m heading to Wal-Mart tonight to buy a couple to 3 jumbo vehicle car window sun deflectors and I am going to cut them down to fit windows. I’m going to use aluminum tape to seal the edges and keep them nice. I plan on covering the two windows in the master on each side of the bed, the 3 windows in the bunkhouse (we have the outside kitchen so no lower window on that side) and from the dealership will buy pre-made covers for the skylight above the shower, and the two doors. I hate to make it so dark in there, but we have to be able to live in there, and I’m not living at 90 degrees, I’m roasting.

I will post pics of the vents tonight, and the window covers this weekend.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #58

We spent all last week in Myrtle Beach and our unit stayed cool except for the bunkroom. I have the foam vent covers on the insides of all vents except the Fantastic fan. Contributing to the heat was the lights in the bunkroom being on during the hottest part of the day due to the boys playing video games, and the skylight in the bathroom letting in a tremendous amount of heat. I have taken steps to remedy both of the situations. I had LEDs waiting on me when I got home for the bunkroom. So far they look ok. Secondly, is something I have thought about doing since I bought both rigs(355 and 365). Some may not like this mod, but this is what I did. After looking at ways to cool off the bathroom, I decided on painting the skylight form the outside. I bought a can of Krylon Fusions Gloss White paint and cleaned the outside of the skylight, taped it off and painted it. Several people have stated that this would completely black out the lens. After testing the idea on plexiglass, I decided to try it and below is my result.

Again, this is after I got home and in direct daylight. The amount of heat that was stopped is amazing! It matches the top form the outside being stark white and still gives off a lot of light on the inside. This winter, we will have the heat on so the bathroom should still be warm then. I am still awaiting the vents and then will follow you guys' lead as to putting in more vents for the a/c. I would still like to see the other pics and will follow the measurements. Also, just bought metallic, duct tape to seal off the inside of both a/c units as mentioned above. The front bedroom a/c is really bad at mixing air. So with all of this I hope to cool the rig much more effficiently.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #59

I guess i dont understand how putting in more vents helps cause the vents it has does not put out much air, so y does putting in more no air blowing vents help????
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #60

cmptrkd,

Was the vent you added in the living area the 2nd or 3rd total vent in the living area. We just bought an early 2012 365 SAQ and it only has one vent in the living area. It definately needs more! The rest of the camper is bearable, but the living area was warm this past weekend in 95 degree heat on a shaded lot. Pics would be great!

Tags
365, 365 saq