Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

365SAQ Advice

Hello, I'm new to the group and to hauling/owning a 5th wheel. I've read through a lot of the postings pertaining to hitches, a/c units, axles, r38, windows, tow vehicles, and dealers. You guys are great!

My wife and are preparing to purchase a Sierra 365SAQ and I'd like to get some last minute advice on the matter. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

JoshuaStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

What kind of advice are you looking for?
It's a big fifth wheel. What kind of truck are you planning on towing with?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. You've obviously done some homework. Are you looking for any particular advice? Make sure you have a checklist when doing your PDI. Click on the 'Files' tab. Triguy has one posted on the left under 'Most Popular Files'. You can also Google or Bing 'RV Pre Delivery Checklist' for links to others. Video the PDI if you can because it's hard to remember it all.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

I've got a F250 Lariat with 6.7L powerstroke and FX4 package. I'm just looking for some ideas of what works best for each of you and try to build a consensus. Wondering what is a nice to have vs. need to have.

After reading some of the posts I convinced myself that my truck was undersized. If this is true I will need advice on how to explain this to my wife.

Thanks!
JoshuaStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

I have the same truck and a 365 saq. It tows it great. I would recommend putting air bags on. They make a big difference. The only difference between the 250 and350 is the extra spring in the bag. You will love the rv and truck combo they pull very good together, you forget the rv is back there. I have a 16k Reese slider and I never use the slider. Good luck what dealer are u buying it from? I am in atlanta.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

As for the truck, it really is going to depend on your weights and payload. There are some really good threads that have been written in the last couple of days that will help you out a lot. My F250 was a V10 and there was no way that I would want to pull my new rig with that truck. The 6.7 is a beast, so you have enough engine, but again check the weights. I explained it to my wife like this......"I'd rather make sure that my children are safe when traveling with us....."

As for the camper, we just went through the same thought process and debated back and forth over what we needed and what we wanted. Similar floorplan to the 365 SAQ, but a different brand with some potentially different options. We figured this will be a trailer that we would keep for quite a while so we went for a few more options. The two that we really debated on were the 12 gallon water heater and fireplace. Wound up getting both.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #7

If you order the unit, you should opt for the 7k axles under the rig and don't let anyone talk you out of it. The Sandpipers and the Sierras are the same campers, just different color schemes. When you have about 20 minutes, you should read this http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ght-29605.html It will help you. As far as the truck, the only difference between the 250 and 350 has already been mentioned. However these springs do increase the payload capacity and the RAWR of the rear axle of the truck. I know several people on here that have gotten the F350 springs and new U-bolts from Ford and put them on their F250s. A not so expensive option. With a couple of jacks, jack stands, basic hand tools and a torque wrench, you can do the swap yourself in about 3 hours. Most just pay a suspension shop to do it though. If you are considering that, contact Tousley Ford as they have great prices on anything Ford related and lots of times are even cheaper(even with shipping) than your local dealer. I am just up the road in Auburn, GA. Used to have a place in Lincolnton out on Lewis Family Road. Love that area. Between this site and the Sandpiper forum, there are lots of great info on these units. Good luck.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
If you order the unit, you should opt for the 7k axles under the rig and don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Completely agree.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Completely agree with the 7k axles, for the price of the upgrade its an absolute no brainer. As for the truck you should be fine. I tow with a 2500HD D/A and I've had no issues pulling from NJ to TN and everywhere in between. I saw the mention of airbags - if I may offer my opinion I would look into Timbrens. They have worked great for me and I especially like that when unloaded you never even notice they're installed.

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

Think of what type of camping you will be doing. If you will be boondocking you might want to think about a generator prep while its being built. A second AC unit up front and I like slide toppers and an awning on the LR slide as well. Lots to think about. Enjoy it. Been pulling since the early 70's and wish I could pull more than I do.
rwpdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Some things that you may look for are the Fall package, party couch, corian countertops, countertop extension and Liepert 5 function remote control. If your truck came with the fifth wheel trailer tow package there is a Reese Elite 18K and BW OEM hitch that drops into the pucks and gives you full use of box without any rails to contend with. Also you can opt for pleather instead of cloth seating at no extra charge, as was told by Sierra rep to me. Like was mentioned in an earlier post we opted for extra options as this was going to be a long term RV for us. Good luck in your shopping.