Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing everyone has to remember, is that there is NOT a manufacture or design "FLAW". While it's not the best of designs to build a trailer of this size with such a small cargo capability, the ultimate blame can be put on the owner for overloading the trailer. Exceeding the Gross sticker weight is in violation of the manufacturer recommendation. So is there a safety issue here? Sure if you have overloaded the trailer. A trailer with 1 pound of CCC can be built to spec and not be a safety issue. It would be up to the purchaser of the trailer to not go over the 1 pound CCC. That's a drastic example, but you see my point? Only having a few hundred pounds of CCC can be considered a poor design made to meet a certain niche, but it's not flawed, as to a safety issue, to be reported to the NTSB.

Edit: I'm also not accusing the OP of overloading, as it could have been just a bad axle. That could be reported if there were multiple instances of this happening from not being overloaded.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #22

Aquaman, I understand your position. Fully. But I also have to say that I believe most of the buyers of these units go by literature alone, or by what the salesman tells them(not smart I know). Very few times do they actually go by the actual weight of the unit. The brochures for this unit, when it came out, offered gen prep kits(so most will assume you will put in a generator), slide toppers, second airs on these units should have been standard(!), and a decent load carrying capacity before options are added. Things like the Corian, outside kitchens and electric jacks add up quickly. I've said all along that they should have been built with a different set of axles depending on what options you put on it. Most campers are recreational ones that use the units a few times a year and do not know things like are discussed here on this forum. These people see all the camping items that all other campers need and want to make camping enjoyable. For most manufacturers, all of that is taken into account. But not with these units. a unit that sleeps 12 but can carry less than 300 pounds. Kind of like buying a car. Most do not know how to repair them, maintain them, or even operate them fully for that matter.(that's where stupid WARNING labels come from as someone has done it before). Heck even trucks can be overloaded as we all know. My point is that FR HAD to know this was going to be a potential problem, if they didn't like they claimed when I had my discussions with them, then corrective actions should have been taken on a mass scale when it was discovered. My fear is, if it hasn't already happened, that someone will be injured if not killed by one of these units while traveling and it all could've been avoided for less than $50 on their part. Aquaman, like I said, I understand your position fully, but I also think that the buyers were deceived a bit by the manufacturer on this one. Not trying to argue, as you make a very valid point.
Congratulations Charlie on reaching an amicable solution that will get things set right for you. After pulling your unit like you have, you will notice a HUGE difference in pulling it with the new axles. No more 'lumbering' around behind your tow vehicle. It will be more responsive and a pleasure to pull. One thing I would like to add is have them adjust the brakes when they are put on. A few of us had axles that had brakes that were not fully adjusted. Only takes a few minutes to adjust them.
Happy camping!

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Golf, you're exactly right. Most buyers are ignorant to what the stickers and weights mean, and salesmen are exactly forthcoming on educating these individuals. I do think that with the premium upgrade package and certain options that were offered (corian, 2nd ac, slide toppers, etc) that the 7k axles should have been mandatory. But then someone with 7k axles could potentially overload also. People need to educate themselves before purchasing, and manufacturers & dealers need to be more forthcoming on information and what it means.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #24

Someday I'm going to find a dealer that will council potential buyers about such things as overloading, and matching tow vehicles to trailers. I for one would appreciate it and they would probably get all my business. I probably won't live long enough to see such a thing but imagine all the problems that would be solved by doing that. But it seems that most dealers just want to sell a trailer. What happens down the road, well. Just isn't thier problem.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #25

We actually have a salesman at TerryTown RV in Grand Rapids, MI that does council buyers on TV capacity, GVWR on the prospective trailers, etc. the first thing he asked us when we came in was what our TV was. He says that he won't let anyone buy an RV from him that they can't tow safely. He'd rather lose a sale than have someone out there unsafe. His name is Ryan Madden in case you want a great, honest salesman.

Computer Nerd
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax
2015 Sandpiper 35ROK
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #26

Well hold on to that dealer. At least he's honest and shows concern for his customer. Goes a very long way in my book.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #27

Charlie, you will be pleased with the way your trailer pulls with the upgrade. I worked out a similar deal with FR last yr. It was well worth the aggravation of dealing with the shop as a middle man and shipping mistakes by the manufacturer to get the end results. Aqua and Golf both make valid points. Too many dealers just want to sell a camper and could care less about the rest. Happy camping. (this winter has to end eventually)
rwpdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #28

Been reading this post on axles & have a question. Not really familiar with the TT mentioned in the first message, so I ask, does it have spread axles? It seems to me that this problem really increases with units with spread axles. I have 2 personal friends that have RVs with spread axles, & they have had nothing but problems; rapidly worn tires, bent axles, etc. Both have gone as far as replacing the axels with heavier ones. Even at this when they turn, the axles flex terribly, & tire wear was not improved. Just wondering.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Been reading this post on axles & have a question. Not really familiar with the TT mentioned in the first message, so I ask, does it have spread axles? It seems to me that this problem really increases with units with spread axles. I have 2 personal friends that have RVs with spread axles, & they have had nothing but problems; rapidly worn tires, bent axles, etc. Both have gone as far as replacing the axels with heavier ones. Even at this when they turn, the axles flex terribly, & tire wear was not improved. Just wondering.
The unit in question is a 365SAQ fifth wheel with standard spacing to the axles. The units were built with axles that were at, near max capacity when they were delivered.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #30

Got the call to pay for shipping today.... $213.

So the final bill to get this fixed is $663. New axle assemblies, springs, wheels, tires, and associated hardware. Does anyone know, with the swap, are the new tires G loads? I currently have Duravis R250 tires on my trailer with about 2k miles, but they are E loads. If I can't reuse them I'll be researching new heavier tires to replace whatever chinese time bombs are being used by the mfgs these days....

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365saq, axle