Old 03-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #31

No. The new tires will be China bombs like the others. I had my Goodyear G614s swapped from old wheels to the new ones. Keep your Duravis as the load capacity will still be higher than the new bombs. Even if same load capacity, you have a MUCH better tire! Make sure that you get 5 wheels as the spare has to be replaced as well. I may not go back with GY tires next time as I may try the Sailun tires. Not sure yet though.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #32

When we had our axles swapped I had a fairly new set of BFG Commercial T/A's LR-E on it. When I got the new axles they put westlake tires on it and due to their weight rating I left them on....for the time being. I will likely be replacing the westlake tires with the Sailun tires later this year.
The dealer did let me keep my old wheels and tires since they would not need them. I was able to unload them on craigslist to put some extra $$ in my pocket at the time.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:19 PM   #33

So my final follow up.... I picked up my trailer tonight with the new axles, springs, wheels, tires, etc. installed. Wow, what a difference. It's obvious this is how this trailer should have been built from the start. It's like towing an entirely different trailer. Big thanks to Indian Valley Camping Center in Souderton PA for a quick turnaround and job well done.

Tires sent from FR are Westlakes, but Indian Valley was kind enough to allow me to take the old wheels (including spare) and my Duravis R250s with me so hopefully I can sell them and offset the replacement costs to swap the Westlakes with either G614 RSTs or a set of Sailuns.

I just can't get over how much better the trailer handles from braking and corners to just addressing bumps and holes in the road. 100% improvement and best of all, I now have an entirely reasonable 2871# cargo capacity, much better than the 750# I had before.

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:09 AM   #34

Glad it worked out for you. Yes, I've said before, this is how the trailer should tow when coming from the factory. Congrats and happier camping ahead!!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #35

Glad it worked out. I will be replacing the Westlake tires on ours in September. I plan on ordering the Sailuns and give them a shot.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #36

We also have this issue with the Sierra 355re. With 7k axles we are overloaded at less than the advertised gvwr. We had all 4 leaf springs break and replaced, the axle / spring company admitted over the phone that we likely should have had 3 axles or 8k even with the two big slide outs on and behind the axles.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathychen1 View Post
We also have this issue with the Sierra 355re. With 7k axles we are overloaded at less than the advertised gvwr. We had all 4 leaf springs break and replaced, the axle / spring company admitted over the phone that we likely should have had 3 axles or 8k even with the two big slide outs on and behind the axles.

Did you by chance have Al-Ko axles? They definitely have weak springs. My axles were swapped out for Dexters and I could tell a difference. With 3k or better of cargo you should have plenty of axle with 7k's, even with 3 slides above and behind axles(same as 365saq).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Did you by chance have Al-Ko axles? They definitely have weak springs. My axles were swapped out for Dexters and I could tell a difference. With 3k or better of cargo you should have plenty of axle with 7k's, even with 3 slides above and behind axles(same as 365saq).

No it was the dexter rep who said this. She offered us the 8k axles. We have pictures of the broken leaf springs.The truck repair guys who were doing our emergency repair commented on the axles and the the tires were underrated too.

Based on average calculations, they should take the weight...

The speculation has to do with the weight of the glass large slide with lazyboy and the hideabed is all too much weight for behind the axles.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If that was the case, I would imagine your pin weight would be way too light. Having 3k+ of cargo and all of it on or behind the axles would reduce your pin weight to near nothing. These things are designed and engineered for weight distribution and a calculated dry pin weight. I'm guessing it's a case of trying to pass the blame for a bad batch of weak springs. The 355re isn't a new design and there would be plenty of them out there in the same situation as yours if this was the case. If I was in your shoes, I would feel comfortable with the new springs and 7k's. I would also keep an eye on them just the same.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #40

So I have read over this thread and have a few questions . I understand weights and not overloading etc.. but basically are the axles junk if you have the 6 k ones? I have often wondered when making turns why the axles look the way they do. I know 7k axles would be better for sure ,but am wondering are we I danger ? I have a 2012 365saq. I will check the numbers but it has the extra ac etc and a few other upgrades. Thanks for the help .

Tags
365, 365saq, axle