Old 09-20-2015, 10:32 PM   #21

Well.... final follow up....

Went camping this past weekend, first time out with the frame repairs. What a difference three extra 2x2 square crossmembers and one 2x2 reinforcement between middle suspension hangers makes. The frame is much stiffer, ride difference is equal to the difference felt swapping in the 7k axles from the 6k. I am feeling a much harsher ride in the truck though, seems like a lot more transfer of force from the trailer to the truck - I guess this was all being 'soaked up' by the trailer before? To combat the rough ride I've ordered a Reese 5th Airborne Pinbox. I'd rather a rough ride from a sturdy trailer though that an easier ride and a flexed out damaged frame.

I was seriously considering trading this trailer and moving on, but I know I will never find a new trailer with a frame as 'beefed up' as this one and feeling is believing. It's a shame I've had to have axle and frame damage to get this trailer built right, but I really think that the added crossmembers and heavier axles should have been the original build spec on this unit to ensure it will stay roadworthy. Big thanks to Lippert for stepping up on this as it was out of warranty 2 years ago.

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #22

Sounds like they did a nice job that is great. It is too bad they have to be pushed so hard to do the right thing. I wish I had gone the same route you did as the they said they would fix it then when I got them the estimate for $1250 they said too much we need more pictures and details. I have done that and more, they didn't see the frame is bent as well as the spring hangers do to the beams rolling when making the turns. They are now asking Forest River to help not sure why they asked Lippert to build a frame for 15,500 lbs and it cannot take it. Not sure why Forest River would be to blame. These frames are clearly underbuild and the point of failure was welds that did not penetrant the metal. The rust shows that very clear.
Well it looks like my next step will be to file a complaint with the NHTSA. I just hope it is not to late to get any action.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscribner View Post
Sounds like they did a nice job that is great. It is too bad they have to be pushed so hard to do the right thing. I wish I had gone the same route you did as the they said they would fix it then when I got them the estimate for $1250 they said too much we need more pictures and details. I have done that and more, they didn't see the frame is bent as well as the spring hangers do to the beams rolling when making the turns. They are now asking Forest River to help not sure why they asked Lippert to build a frame for 15,500 lbs and it cannot take it. Not sure why Forest River would be to blame. These frames are clearly underbuild and the point of failure was welds that did not penetrant the metal. The rust shows that very clear.
Well it looks like my next step will be to file a complaint with the NHTSA. I just hope it is not to late to get any action.
I believe what may get a positive response is the last paragraph, and that is filing a report with NHTSA. I have my frame failure all fully documented and saved every email from Lippert's representatives which in totality builds what I believe to be a good case.
I too think it may be time to contact NHTSA.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #24

After my experience with the NHTSA I would highly recommend everyone with an issue contact them, regardless of what FR or Lippert does to make it right. Making it right is good business, which is what these companies are in; business. How much or how little fight is required, at the end of the day they are making a business decision.

The NHTSA is about safety and regulation. When I spoke to the investigator handling my report he expressed great concern at the number of people I referenced as having axle or frame problems - because counting my case he had two official reports. If no one reports to the NHTSA than the regulators aren't able to do their jobs which is to hold these companies accountable; not based on whats good or bad for business, but whats good for the safety of everyone on the road.

To further drive home my point... I did end up working through a Federal Safety Compliance Manager from FR. This gentleman contacted me after the NHTSA contacted him. He was unaware of my problems.... why? Because customer service never passed on information concerning bent axles or damaged frame to him. Had I not contacted the NHTSA not only would my issue not have been addressed by FR, but the folks within FR who are supposed to be ensuring safety are not getting the inforamtion necessary to do that job from their own customer service departments.

Fixed, made right, whatever - or not - report your issues to the NHTSA. Until there are enough official reports these issues will never be addressed with common approaches or solutions. FR will continue to do the minimum per the acceptability of each consumer and only the 'pushers' will get the right fixes, everyone else gets the cheap fixes or blown off entirely.

Report your issues to the NHTSA.

Nights Camped in 2015 -- 40
Nights Camped in 2016 -- 26
cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #25

I agree 100% with cfisher until I contacted transport Canada and referenced his case and told FR service to talk to there safety department I was completely ignored after they heard that within 2 days my #7000 axles were accepted and on the way

Case is still reported I am in northern Canada and have not saw if my frame is affected or not as we have had snow starting and the underbelly is not coming down yet

Please report and press the issue ALL new units have #7000 axles and FR clams it was due to Dexter being cheaper then ALKO but Dexter now owns ALKO so that excuse makes 0 sense
Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #26

Well Lippert denied the repairs saying the welds did not break. That is kind of true due to they never penetrated the frame. The short story is I filed the complaint with the NHTSA and waiting to hear from them.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscribner View Post
Well Lippert denied the repairs saying the welds did not break. That is kind of true due to they never penetrated the frame. The short story is I filed the complaint with the NHTSA and waiting to hear from them.
Keep us posted. It will be interesting to see if they change their tune after NHTSA contacts them.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #28

It's been a week and no response at all, just playing the waiting game.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #29

How did you find your frame cracked/broken? Did you hear something or see it?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #30

I had a gas line where it Tee's off to Cooper break it is over the rear axle then the underbelly panel fell on the axles. I looked closer and found the cross members broken. At this point it made sense why my wife said it made her sick following me due to the swaying.
At this point I have given up on anybody helping take care of it. I have learned a lesson and I will buy my next camper based on the build and then reinforce the frame to start with as they are all junk Lippert products.

Tags
365, 365saq, axle, bent, frame