Old 04-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #31

I thought I would give an update on our broken frame cross members. I heard from someone else in Forest River back in December and they got Lippert to repair the frame damage in February here in VT. The guy did a good job the way he made the repairs but did not address the bent spring hangers or the bends in the bottom of the frame. I was great full they did this much but disappointed in the fact they just don't take pride in their work or product. He made the repairs outside on a frozen parking lot and tried to straighten the bow in the frame using a come along to his pickup. I am a firm believer if you are going to do something do it right not just to get it done. Well long story short last week I took it for a alignment and they found it toed out one way on the front and the opposite way in the rear. I feel this was due to the way the frame was twisted. It didn't have bent axles so go to show I did not hit anything too cause the damage. In six weeks or so we will find out how it all goes, I feel pretty good about it and was assured Forest River is trying to demand Lippert delivers a better product. I have my fingers crossed the products will get better but it is going to take people speaking up to demand it.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did they say how much you were out of alignment? There have been some that have been out of alignment from the factory, although not common. They do consider 3/8" out of square as max but would rather see it at 1/4" or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #33

They did not say and the guy was not in when I picked it up to ask. Long as it tracks straight and doesn't wear tires. I will take pictures of the repairs and post at some point. I think they should be done this way from the start.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #34

I decided I better take a look at my frame today. I have been having an issue with the rear bedroom door closing, it has to be forced closed at the bottom. My wife also complained that the trailer was swaying when we brought it home from storage. Sure enough, the frame support aft the wheels is broken, almost every cross support like like the OP's pictures sow, and the support forward the wheels is bent at each support just like the OP's pictures. I took video and have contacted FR and NHTSA. We'll see how they respond for me. They have already upgraded my axles, wheels, tires, springs, etc etc two seasons ago.

Nights camped so far in 2016 = 0

Although Many trips scheduled.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
I decided I better take a look at my frame today. I have been having an issue with the rear bedroom door closing, it has to be forced closed at the bottom. My wife also complained that the trailer was swaying when we brought it home from storage. Sure enough, the frame support aft the wheels is broken, almost every cross support like like the OP's pictures sow, and the support forward the wheels is bent at each support just like the OP's pictures. I took video and have contacted FR and NHTSA. We'll see how they respond for me. They have already upgraded my axles, wheels, tires, springs, etc etc two seasons ago.
Interesting....
I have to take the coroplast off the bottom of ours this weekend to patch it. I will be doing a some investigating while its off I guess.We have issues with the door to our bunks and never thought it might be something like that.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #36

Something else I noticed after reading back on this...
My leaf springs do not look anywhere as arched as the pictures in post #20 on this thread. Here is what mine look like, is this something I need to address?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Helmsey, are those 6K axles? They do look flat and similar to what mine looked like when FR replaced mine while I was at Goshen rally
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 05-12-2016, 02:11 PM   #38

Those are 7k axles...originally had 6k but were replaced. Now I'm wondering if they didnt swap springs. I guess I need to see if there is any difference between the springs for the 2 different axles.
For what its worth the axles have just under 13,000lbs on them according to the last trip over the scales.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Those are 7k axles...originally had 6k but were replaced. Now I'm wondering if they didnt swap springs. I guess I need to see if there is any difference between the springs for the 2 different axles.
For what its worth the axles have just under 13,000lbs on them according to the last trip over the scales.
I thought you had them replaced, but couldn't remember for sure. I doubt that they swapped springs. I'll try to see if I have a picture of my 6k springs and I'll count the leafs.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
Old 05-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I thought you had them replaced, but couldn't remember for sure. I doubt that they swapped springs. I'll try to see if I have a picture of my 6k springs and I'll count the leafs.

Ask the duck

Tags
365, 365saq, axle, bent, frame