Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

365SAQ Mods

Some mods I have finally done for the 365.

Added 2 shelves in the kitchen cabinet (ours is a 2012).

Added plexi-glass to the screen door.

Added 4 step units outside. Our kids had trouble with the 3 steps.

Added a countertop extension.

Added corner shelves in the master bed slideout. They are low, because of the windows, but we don't hit out head on them and needed somewhere for a bottle of water, iphone and/or ipad, remote control, and a fan.

Added TPMS for the tires. Went with the TST products 507 Flow throughs.

Added a keyhook

Added a wire shelf up front. It's at the same height as the bar for the front legs, but it gives us room to store the rug above, along withb a couple flag posts and an electric leaf blower which I use to blow the rugs off beofre storing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2602.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	53199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	53200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	53201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2609.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	53202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	53203  

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	53204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2611.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	53205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	53206  
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

I've done half of these...I really am proud of the plexiglass door! Every one we meet wants me to do theirs
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Looks good!!
I bet the screen door would get used much more that way than with just the screens, I'm gonna have to see about doing that.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #4

Yeah, it was pretty easy. I made a pattern with some cardboard and then had a plastic shop cut it out for me. The radius corners was what I didn't want to mess with. The lower piece would have been simple. With the cost of plexi-glass from Home Depot, the plastic shop was cheaper. I bought the clips from the camper dealer. This way I can tgake the pieces out in seconds, and store between the couch and the wall. Easy access and out of the way.

We ordered our 365 in June 2011. I've been slacking on doing a few of these mods. I'm really excited to get the bench / couch done in the back which is replacing the lower fold down bunk. Just waiting for the welder to get the frame done and the upholstery shop to get the cushions done.

I also bought a Voyager back-up camera for the back of the camper. Hope to get that installed this weekend. It will be nice to see people behind me when driving, as well as backing in.

I also have a 5 gallon pressure tank in the garage I neeed to install, and ball valve shut-offs to replace the low level drains and the fresh tank drain. I'm always worried about loosing the caps plus it's a pain in the .... to always get way down and unscrew them. 1 turn of a valve sounds so much easier.

The DW would like a convection oven to replace the indoor micro, been looking for one that's worth the $$, I'd like to deepen the shelf below the TV to hold the satellite box better, and I bought an electronic grill igniter to replace the loud click style on the stove. Just need to get that installed. I thought about adding a fan or two to the top of the fridge cabinet to help move air on some of the hotter days of summer. Trying to find out if it's worth the work. Also bought the remote control kit to put the awning on, want to get another for the slide-outs. Going to finally take advantage of what the website has to offer and what I'm missing in a "perfect" camper.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

After my problems with my fridge, and being replaced twice in a month, my dealer ordered me a fridge that goes in a slide out. They are the same models as the one that came out of it, but have the fan and thermostat on it. It works very well. You can hear the fan on warmer days and the fridge is the best one I've had. Stays much cooler with the fan. Good idea.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #6

Nice job on your mods!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Very nice job on the mods!
I have a 2014 can I order the counter extensions?

Thanks
Dangeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #8

Dangeri... Call forest river directly (574) 533-5934. They can order you the counter top extension and brackets. I have corian solid surface counters. They needed my vin to match the counters. It took about a week and $170 and it was at my door shipped direct to me. Don't go they your dealer as they will likely mark it up unnecessarily. You will look easy access to one drawer but that was an easy trade off. The installation was fairly straight forward. Remember, measure twice, drill holes once.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
Some mods I have finally done for the 365.

Added 2 shelves in the kitchen cabinet (ours is a 2012).

Added plexi-glass to the screen door.

Added 4 step units outside. Our kids had trouble with the 3 steps.

Added a countertop extension.

Added corner shelves in the master bed slideout. They are low, because of the windows, but we don't hit out head on them and needed somewhere for a bottle of water, iphone and/or ipad, remote control, and a fan.

Added TPMS for the tires. Went with the TST products 507 Flow throughs.

Added a keyhook

Added a wire shelf up front. It's at the same height as the bar for the front legs, but it gives us room to store the rug above, along withb a couple flag posts and an electric leaf blower which I use to blow the rugs off beofre storing.
Nice mods. I have a sierra and was thinking about some of the same mods. Really interested in the countertop extension. Where did you find the countertop to match and how did you attach it? Does it swing down? Any problem folding up the 4 step unit as opposed to the 3 step and where and what brand are those from?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Thank you very much for the info! Cheers Dan
Dangeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #11

To Camptrkd,

Interested in the 4 steps.
Does the forth step extend any lower the three steps?
I assume it extends out farther than the 3 steps.
Where did you pick this up at?
Thanks!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pat View Post
To Camptrkd,

Interested in the 4 steps.
Does the forth step extend any lower the three steps?
I assume it extends out farther than the 3 steps.
Where did you pick this up at?
Thanks!
Pat
Pat, I am very sorry for not responding. I didn't even realize you had responded. I bought the steps from etrailer.com. They are Stromberg Carlson. I researched many brands and I liked theirs the best. It has a radius to it like the Hickery Springs factory steps, they have anti-skid material like the factory steps, and they support 750lbs which is more then 3 times my weight, but I am hoping that means they are strong as hell. I had to trim the skirting on the trailer on each side about 1/4 inch, and they bolted right up to the bolts that come down from the inside of the floor, but the braces on either side on the back don't match up. I simply drilled new holes into the steps and left the braces attached to the frame where they were from factory. Took maybe an hour to install the first pair, and 25 minutes to do the second.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Okay folks, here are pictures of the rear bench mod. There is no cushion yet, I'm waiting for the upholstery guy to finish it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2754.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	57668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	57669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2755.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	57670  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #14

And lastly, a few new mods. I added Fantastic fans to the rear bedroom and to the main living room. I added a Fantastic Vent cover from the main bathroom, and the rear bedroom so I can run those while traveling to exhaust some of the heat from the unit. I bought the fans from ebay, brand new, roughly 250 bucks each w/ shipping. They are fully automatic with rain sensors, and a RF remote. It was really nice, the wiring was already at the vents. I do need to order a larger trim kit for the inside which the instructions talk about.

And a back-up camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	57671  
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Pat, I am very sorry for not responding. I didn't even realize you had responded. I bought the steps from etrailer.com. They are Stromberg Carlson. I researched many brands and I liked theirs the best. It has a radius to it like the Hickery Springs factory steps, they have anti-skid material like the factory steps, and they support 750lbs which is more then 3 times my weight, but I am hoping that means they are strong as hell. I had to trim the skirting on the trailer on each side about 1/4 inch, and they bolted right up to the bolts that come down from the inside of the floor, but the braces on either side on the back don't match up. I simply drilled new holes into the steps and left the braces attached to the frame where they were from factory. Took maybe an hour to install the first pair, and 25 minutes to do the second.
Thank you for the info!!
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #16

Quote:
And lastly, a few new mods. I added Fantastic fans to the rear bedroom and to the main living room. I added a Fantastic Vent cover from the main bathroom, and the rear bedroom so I can run those while traveling to exhaust some of the heat from the unit. I bought the fans from ebay, brand new, roughly 250 bucks each w/ shipping. They are fully automatic with rain sensors, and a RF remote. It was really nice, the wiring was already at the vents. I do need to order a larger trim kit for the inside which the instructions talk about.

And a back-up camera.
Back up camera is on my list. Care to share some insight on how you did this one?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #17

Just to clarify did you say that there was wiring up at the vents already? If so did u order it that way or was it just laying up there?
Thanks Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #18

Supercab79, in my rig, there was wiring. I didn't order it that way. I had my fingers crossed the whole time I was unscrewing the 4 screws that hold the interior trim piece in place. As soon as it was loose, I could see the wiring peeking out of a hole.

Helmsey, this was a huge chore, but maybe I can help anyone else who wants to do it. This is from a 365SAQ model, which I see you have as well. In the bunkhouse, in the closets on the top shelf there's a wooden wrap that goes around. Remove that, and that is the location I ran the wire into. Then (I used the passenger side) remove the wooden side panel on the interior side of the closet. I removed the screws and the side panel was stapled along the front, I worked it back and fourth carefully until the staples pulled through the back side and didn't hurt the wood (when putting it back, it fit so snug I haven't even re-stapled it yet). You run the wire from the top to the middle section and then remove the side panel on the very bottom. The pipe actually runs at a diagonal to the right of the TV in the bunk house. The side pulls out very easy as well. I used a wire fish rod to get the wire moved down to the bottom. Getting it outside was a B*&ch. I tore as much of the spray foam from around the pipe entering the floor as I could. I then used two people, I was outside just behind the bumper and was able to squeeze my fingers between the bottom underside of the trailer and where the "roll" of the enclosed belly starts at an area I figured was dang close to that pipe. Amazingly, I found the pipe rather quickly and with a guy inside we worked the wire until I was able to hook it with a standard fish tape and pull it out. Once out I wrapped my wire with 1/4 split loom and zip tied it to anything I could getting it to the front of the camper. I took it in through the driver's side propane cabinet, drilled a hole into the interior cabinet and brought it inside the middle. Then took out a few screws from the underside of the fifth wheel to let it loose slightly, I didn't pull any caulking or trim. Inside that middle cabinet on way at the top I used a pry bar and gently pushed the wood trim apart from the metal. Using the wire fishing rod again I sent the rod out to the pinbox and pulled the wire through. Like I said, this was a huge undertaking, but I wanted it to look super clean. At the pinbox I converted my camera to a standard trailer 4 pin so I can unhook it easily.

The camera I bought was this one in white, and from ebay to save $$ Super CMOS Color Rear Mount Observation Camera

The screen I am using is my head unit so I can have it on whenever I want by simply choosing the A/V input.

They make a nice connector for the camera, but my budget didn't want to take this big of a hit. Voyager Bulk Head Camera Connector It cost me roughly 25 bucks to wire it my way.

I hope this makes some sense. I can take pics if you need them. I really liked the idea of adding some teardrop camera to each side as well, but the AV switch box to select which of the 3 camera is showing is quite pricey so I thought I would start with the back-up camera and go from there.

Speaking of back-up camera... I have trouble hitching up. My hitch sits just low enough in my bed and I have a tonneau cover that when rolled up to the back window blocks my view completely. I added a back-up camera just below the 3rd brace light that shows me my hitch. It integrates with my rear view mirror and the factory camera shows up on my navi screen where the camper back-up camera also shows. All in all, I'm super pleased.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

Ohh and to replace the spray foam, Great stuff makes a pond and waterfall or something like that. It's black just like the factory. I for mine at Menards, but Ace has it as well. So does Amazon if you need to mail order.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #20

Thanks for the detailed info, I will have to do some investigating next time I'm at the camper.

Tags
365, 365saq, modifications