Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #21

If we get to Ohio and need to do that, we can. I hope that doesn't happen though. We are anxious to get it home and put our things in it to be ready to go camping. I didn't want to have it delivered, because I want to look it over at the dealer's place first. My son in law would laugh if I told him he needed a bigger truck. He just got this truck a year ago and is pretty proud of it. Then again, he would be game for any reason to get more trucks :-))
Nitecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitecat View Post
ependydad - I have been studying all the postings on here about trucks and weight. Again, learning all the acronyms has been fun. I might drive my son in law nuts asking him about it, but I just don't want to get to Ohio and have a problem. I think we are borderline on pulling with this truck. We won't normally be traveling with it, since we mainly plan to park it for the whole summer at a campground by the lake nearby. Getting it back to Kansas from Ohio may be our biggest trip.
Congrats on the Sabre...y'all gonna love it!

I wanted to chime in on the son n laws truck, as I have a 2500HD diesel also...will his truck be able to "pull it"? YES...will the combine weights (truck & camper) be at or below his GVWR? NO

GVWR on these trucks are 9200 lbs or less with 4WD and the truck's weight empty with full tank of fuel and one driver will come in around 7200lbs...with that said, that leaves you approx. 2000lbs for the camper pin weight, gear, passengers, hitch, supplies, etc...as mentioned above.
Hope this helps so you don't feel like your nagging the son n law about his truck!
Have him do he same math on his truck to get definite numbers.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #23

Oh, by the way, he also has the B&W Companion Hitch for a 5th wheel.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #24

Ragin Cajun - We are getting a Sandpiper 376BHOK, not a Sabre. Sure hope my son in law's truck will work. I'm buying the RV and don't want to buy a truck too :-)) I did find a lot of the numbers for his truck online last night and did some calculations. I think we are pretty borderline on it working. We won't have much in the RV though to add weight, since we are just picking it up. Does getting the 7,000 lb axles on the RV help anything?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Most people seem to have 3500's. I ordered the RV with the 7000 lb axles based on info. I read on this forum. I don't know if that will help us or not.
I am glad that people are taking the axles seriously now. I know I am guilty of neglecting them at first. I believe all of them at this size should have the 7000 lbs axles under them. Most all other lines of rigs the size of these mentioned have 7ks under them. I equate it the same as buying a heavier duty truck than what is needed. You may never need that much capacity, but the axles are not 'stressed' under the load you have. Congratulations on your rig and may you have MANY happy camping adventures!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:
We won't have much in the RV though to add weight, since we are just picking it up. Does getting the 7,000 lb axles on the RV help anything?
Not as far as weight capacity of your tow vehicle. It will only help with the trailer's GVWR. Your truck will probably close. My advice is to weigh the truck first, with all you plan to carry in it and full of fuel. This will give a ballpark as to how much you will be able to carry on each axle. Then(I hate saying this as no one camps empty) you can judge it by the empty weight of the camper. Take the empty pin weight and calculate using these sheets and instructions 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Worksheet Instructions for CAT Scale & this one How To Weigh | CAT Scale
It will help you out in figuring out your weights.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #27
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post

Not as far as weight capacity of your tow vehicle. It will only help with the trailer's GVWR. Your truck will probably close. My advice is to weigh the truck first, with all you plan to carry in it and full of fuel. This will give a ballpark as to how much you will be able to carry on each axle. Then(I hate saying this as no one camps empty) you can judge it by the empty weight of the camper. Take the empty pin weight and calculate using these sheets and instructions 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Worksheet Instructions for CAT Scale & this one How To Weigh | CAT Scale
X2...sorry about calling your new camper a Sabre ( my mine knew the right answer but my fingers typed the wrong answer)!

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
And, this is something that you can do now, while you're still in Kansas and are waiting for the camper.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #29

Thanks all. I will see if I can get my son in law to weigh the truck. He may think I'm a crazy old lady...ha ha, but I'll tell him I've been studying it all on the forums :-)) Glad that going with the 7,000 lb axles is good for something.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Thanks all. I will see if I can get my son in law to weigh the truck. He may think I'm a crazy old lady...ha ha, but I'll tell him I've been studying it all on the forums :-)) Glad that going with the 7,000 lb axles is good for something.
At a CAT scale the cost is $10 to weigh anything. If you go back within 24 hours to weigh it again(say with the trailer) it is only $2 the second time.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #31

I think my son in law can probably get it weighed for free. His Dad is the crop adviser at the local coop. I'm sure they have a scale. He should have no excuse to go weigh the truck, right? Yea, I managed to get my signature added like everyone else has.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel with airbags added (pulls great)
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #32

Quote:
I think my son in law can probably get it weighed for free. His Dad is the crop adviser at the local coop. I'm sure they have a scale. He should have no excuse to go weigh the truck, right? Yea, I managed to get my signature added like everyone else has.
Check your sig..your truck is a 2500 correct?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #33

Yes, you are right. Thanks for catching that.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel with airbags added (pulls great)
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #34

Sorry about the delay but yea the shower is as shown dark grey top and lighter colored bottom
Fireman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #35

We have a 365SAQ and we're pulling it with a 2011 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Diesel. The truck brochure shows it can pull 16,700lbs. The truck itself weighs 8040 with almost a full tank of fuel (or so my CAT weigh slip shows) With my camper empty, the drive axle weighed in at 5740 which is also still under. Factor in that your pin weight should be about 400lbs more, and I think you might be close. Other people will probably be mad that I would say this, but they build the trucks knowing there's a good chance you're going to go over. If you end up running over by a hundred or so pounds, I wouldn't be afraid to drive the camper home. You stated you will not be traveling with this pick-up other then getting it home, I would certainly think you'd be okay. I don't know but from the sounds of it, you're going to get a bigger ulcer from trying to figure this out, then just driving the thing home and trying to forget about it. I just weighed my unit 3-22-13, so these are recent weighs. Granted my trailer is a different model with different weights, but overall it's comparable. The brochure says the max payload is 3123lbs. I don't have my pickup at home to look at the axle load sticker on the door, but once again, I think you'll be close, but I think you'll be fine to get it home.

I didn't notice until reading your earlier post, you truck is a 2006, I know they have made substantial changes since 2006, so I guess maybe your truck isn't set-up to carry the load that the newer ones are, you might need to check some weights and do some calculations.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote