Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #1

5er Front Stabilizer Set Up

Is there an opinion to have this or not fro the 5er? At my campground, some of the rigs have them and others don't. My rig will be set up seasonal and I wondered if it was worth the investment. If so, any thoughts on which work better? - Joe
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #2

I wouldn't bother with a tri pod I would get a set of the JTstrong arm stabilizers
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
I wouldn't bother with a tri pod I would get a set of the JTstrong arm stabilizers
I concur.

Bal stabilizers are a little cheaper but there good quality and I have a set on the rear of my fiver.
The front ones I made from transportation cargo jacks as seen in my profile albums.

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Tripod or something like a Strong arm system?

Depends on you and how much you wish to spend.

I would opt out for the Strong arm system or one like it because there is no problem storing it, you do not need to drag it around.

If you go with a tri pod get one that can be locked.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

I have a tripod and when it is not used the unit shakes around when somebody walks, in the process of making a set of JT strong arms for my unit

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Always Learning

If you're seasonal, I would go find the cheapest scissor jacks that you can find and place 4 or more of them around the underside of the camper and snug them up. Heck, I even know folks who use cinderblocks for the same effect.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I have a tripod and when it is not used the unit shakes around when somebody walks, in the process of making a set of JT strong arms for my unit
Very cool.

Have you thought about something like these?

Camco 44560 Olympian RV Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack : Amazon.com : Automotive

Some put one set in front of the front axle under the frame with the other two behind the back axle under the frame.
Not enough to lift the unit off the ground, just enough to take some of the weight off the tires.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
Always Learning

Ford Idaho, I think that's what my sister used a couple of years back when she was seasonal. You had no idea that you were walking around a camper because it was so solid.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #9

I use those under my TT now. They really do work well. Thx all!!!
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

I concur.

Bal stabilizers are a little cheaper but there good quality and I have a set on the rear of my fiver.
The front ones I made from transportation cargo jacks as seen in my profile albums.

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
X2

Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #11

5er Front Stabilizer Set Up

Well, like belly buttons, everybody has an opinion on what works and what doesn't. We've just purchased a 2013 320RL, and as newbies, we are working through the learning experience of what works and what we think we want, to make life comfortable. Thanks to the forums we are making it through the woods. As far as reducing the rocking and swaying of sitting in the RV at the back end in our recliners, and hoping we didn't knock the tv off the countertop in the bedroom up front, when one of us went forward to the bathroom, the kingpin tripod has helped. From the perspective of getting up in the bedroom to go make coffee while the DW snoozes, it's helped. Is there a noticeable improvement, you betcha. Is it 100% solid? Nope. But the $80 investment on Amazon.com plus the weight addition of storage (approx. 40lbs) is piece of mind and we seem to think it helps. We'll be adding a step stabilizer to the steps leading into the RV just for piece of mind. Other than burying it in a trench with concrete, a 5th wheeler is gonna move some.
BigandJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 AM   #12
Plain Old Member

We do use the Tripod, and it does make a little difference. We have the fastjack, which can be locked to the pin, is fast to set up and folds up real small. We have the level up system, so not messing with the JT strong arms. We also have the Camco 57371 telescoping jack stands we can put under the frame.

Camco 57371 Olympian RV Telescopic Jack - 2 pack : Amazon.com : Automotive

I opted for these as they can accomodate the taller frame (30") where as the smaller camco aluminum ones have to be blocked up. The level up system, so we've seen will bleed down a little after extended periods, so if we're going to stay a while, we plan to level it the old fashion way, let the level up jacks just tag the ground, and put the jack stands under the frame. Since we've only had this fifth wheel since January 8th, we haven't got a LOT of time with it, but have set it up with the jack stands and tripod. Very stable. As mentioned in the above post, it'll still move some, but you can definitely minimize the movement a little.

If we weren't full timing, I wouldn't have any of the above. We never did before in our towables and the little movement we experienced didn't bother us. Now that we live in it, wife wanted it to be a little more stable, especially with our VERY active kids bouncing off the walls in the bunk room.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er