Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Advice on tires

I plan to buy a heavy 5th wheel for full timing and a big truck to tow it this year. I know very little about tires. I just read some of the thread "Again with tires - load rating on a heavy 5th wheel."--totally overwhelming!

I will likely be purchasing a used truck that was not used for towing a 5th wheel. So, I may need to change the tires. Where do I go for advice on tires? Would a normal tire store have the correct expertise?
wannabervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

Be overwelmed only once, buy Goodyear G614 for camper and any good E or G tire for truck
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:11 AM   #3

If you're going for a heavy 5th wheel, you might consider going with the 17.5" rims and the Goodyear G114 tires. Check out trailerwheelsandtires.com for more information.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
I plan to buy a heavy 5th wheel for full timing and a big truck to tow it this year. I know very little about tires. I just read some of the thread "Again with tires - load rating on a heavy 5th wheel."--totally overwhelming!

I will likely be purchasing a used truck that was not used for towing a 5th wheel. So, I may need to change the tires. Where do I go for advice on tires? Would a normal tire store have the correct expertise?
Your post is very vague.

5th wheel RV trailers - all sizes - are notorious for having Original Equipment (OE) tires that only provide the minimum safety requirements. When searching for your trailer, try to find one that offers optional upgraded tires.

Normally trucks equipped with Light Truck tires will not need to be upgraded unless they are worn-out or just plain old. Light duty trucks equipped with Passenger tires will almost always provide better service with Light Truck tires.

Tags
tire, tires