Old 12-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcdp98 View Post
So I just got a email back from the rep. They are willing to change out my axles but it's still on me to transport my unit to them. I have asked them if my dealer up here can do. I hope they let my dealer do it. $1000 in diesel fuel and about 37 hours of driving doesn't sound to fun.
Thanks to all that have replied I believe that the info here helped me convince them to change the axles.
I know Murphy's Law very well, but playing devil's advocate here, what happens if you wreck it taking it up there and tear up truck and trailer, or worse yet, hurt yourself. Wonder of there would be any liability there. They know they shouldn't have 6ks on the rig and are MAKING you bring it to them to make it right?? I mean, it is the middle of winter. They offered several options, but it was best to let my dealer do it. They agreed. Stay firm or explore other options. By the way, not that it matters, but they are reading these posts. Believe me...

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #32

Very good points. I believe it should be on them to transport it if they want it done there. If the proper axles were used from the start we would not be in this position. We will see where it goes from here.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's a viable point, but you're not going to take it loaded, and that is where it starts to become a safety issue, after it's loaded, full tank of water, etc. If you are removing most of your personal items, as I would, you, you are well within the safety limits of the trailer as it sits.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #34

Going back and reading some of my messages from others that have had the axles changed, there is a difference in the AlKo and Dexter axles as far as the spring hanger widths. What I did, was crawled under mine and measured the hanger widths, then went to 3 other dealers that had Lippert framed 5ers and measured them and got the manufacturer of the axles. All of my measurements came up with the same distance on the 7ks, and just so happens, my 6ks had the same distance between the hangers. Maybe I got lucky, as a couple of others have had their hangers replaced too, but I believe there are more like mine that don't have to be cut off and re-welded. You can go here http://www.al-ko.us/download/6100-70...springaxle.pdf and here Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Hometo find out more. Also, some of the newer rigs have EZ Flex systems that may make a difference.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
It's a viable point, but you're not going to take it loaded, and that is where it starts to become a safety issue, after it's loaded, full tank of water, etc. If you are removing most of your personal items, as I would, you, you are well within the safety limits of the trailer as it sits.
My main point was bad weather and icy roads to contend with.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #36

5erdriver did u buy from Lee at the dealer or at a show just curious. This is the 2nd time I've dealt with them on an Rv and I'm actually surprised they are willing to get involved. They were somewhat troubled by my order request of the 7k axles and recommended against it at the time of purchase. This whole topic meaning these FR 6k 7k axles is such a joke anyway. However, I dealt with Terry the service manager up there for my punch list of items that where broken after we got it home, he was a great guy to talk to very friendly but less say of the 7 items on the list they only fixed 1 issue and said the rest were "within industry standard". Thank God for vender warranties dometic took care of the ac units but I had to change them out myself and as far as the black tank dump valve ill let you decide if its within factory spec. Thank goodness we hadn't used the toilet yet. Again changed out myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1592900893.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	43965

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-833131667.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	43966

Industry standard. Anyway they seem like "nice enough" people hope all goes well.
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #37

We bought our unit last fall and yes we dealt with Lee at the dealership.. We found them to be extremely easy to deal with. Probably the easiest and least stressful big purchase of anything we have bought. That being said our unit also had no problems so we had not reason to deal with service issues. When I investigated the axel issue I emailed Lee and he looked into it. While that was happening I contacted FR directly and was able to get an answer and was given the option if factory or dealer. I spoke with Lee and they were very welcoming to do the work as I preferred cause of the much shorter tow. This week I was in touch and again and know that Terry has been in touch with FR about getting the parts shipped down there. I feel I will be dealing with Terry from here on in. I'll be in touch in the new year to make sure everything is in place.
Again, we found them to be no BS, no underhanded operating and a pleasure to deal with. We bought a Hershey show packaged unit with the show incentives. When he called us to update us on the build date he also let us know what extras where being added as show promotion AND that our agreed price was now lower by $1000. How many dealers would have said nothing. Just felt we got a good deal from an honest dealership. Felt nice, for a change
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #38

That's why I asked we bought at Hershey also. When we were in the market for a Sierra 32qbbs our local dealer who was a sierra dealer promised us they would have them at Hershey and to come there to look at one. But when we arrived there we were told they had no idea what we were talking about and the Sierra 32qbbs was garbage and tried to sell me a sprinter van conversion. Craziness. So I knew the Sandpipers were the same unit and walked over to the Stolzfus area where Lee recognized us from a previous deal and recommended I look at the two side by side and compare because of the high price and short comings of the 32qbbs compared to the 365 plus the 365 incentives were huge. After looking at the 365 there was no comparison and the options packages they were including at no additional up charge were unbelievable. Plus the trade # on our unit without seeing it was only a few hundred less then what we were asking for it on the open market. This coupled with a no pressure sales approach and an out the door price for a loaded 2013 365 of under $39000 with my upgrades one of which was the "7k axles" was a no brainer. You are 100% right the price was right the timing was right the deal was right. As I said the only thing which I was a little aggravated about was the lack of attention to the final follow up details they were just a bit obtuse to some major concerns and just pretty much ignored them and moved on. Like I said all in all they are nice people just a little lacking in the PDI and follow up repairs.

On a side note we live in that area and you can absolutely make a day of it in Lancaster between the shopping, tourist traps and eating your literally minutes away from the famous Shaddy Maple Smorgasbord and shopping complex. Plus Blue Ball, Intercourse, Lititz, and New Holland are only a stones throw up the road.

Best of Luck.
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #39

So forest river is going to supply all the parts needed for the axle swap. I will have to pay the labor. My dealer quoted me 300 dollars. I didn't think that was bad. This will be much Cheeper then hauling the unit to the factory. I will feel better hauling it from Maine to Texas this spring and I will be able to load it for such a long trip.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcdp98 View Post
So forest river is going to supply all the parts needed for the axle swap. I will have to pay the labor. My dealer quoted me 300 dollars. I didn't think that was bad. This will be much Cheeper then hauling the unit to the factory. I will feel better hauling it from Maine to Texas this spring and I will be able to load it for such a long trip.
Good for you. They can do it in about 6 hours or so if they get on it. And i agree, you will feel much better towing a rig that has the proper axles under it. And yes, it will tow better.

Tags
365, 365 saq, axle