Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #71
Member
 
rbcdp98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
The axles are installed and ready for my trip south. Forest river provided all of the parts. I had to pay labor buy my Rv dealer Call of the wild Rv in Oxford Maine only charged me 270.00 to install them. I can tell the stance of the trailer is better and the rims came with g rated tire. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392505064.480584.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	46308Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392505087.418924.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	46309
__________________

__________________
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
Helmsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 772
What brand tires?
__________________

__________________
2015 Chevy 3500HD
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ
Helmsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #73
Member
 
rbcdp98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
I'm not sure. I do know they were a off brand prob Chinese made but I'll run them untill they wear out then replace them with something good.
__________________
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #74
Member
 
KB3MMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 49
Has anyone here done this on an older model? I just bought a 2010 355QBQ and was wondering how Forest River is handling this safety issue on a older unit.

This would certainly seem to me like a NHTSA complaint that should require a mandatory recall as the trailer was built with a higher GVWR than what the axles are actually rated for !!




.
__________________
-Forest River Sierra 355QBQ Bunkhouse
-2007 Duramax/Allison Stage 2 Garrett Turbo W/ KB3MMX EFIlive custom tuning & lots of other goodies...
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #75
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
Has anyone here done this on an older model? I just bought a 2010 355QBQ and was wondering how Forest River is handling this safety issue on a older unit.

This would certainly seem to me like a NHTSA complaint that should require a mandatory recall as the trailer was built with a higher GVWR than what the axles are actually rated for !!




.
Actually, that is not true. The GVWR is calculated from the axle rating. The problem arises in not having enough available payload, but the GVWR is always within spec for the trailer.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #76
Member
 
rbcdp98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 65
Just a update. After having my axles changed out for 7k axles. I headed on a 2060 mile trip to Texas. The trip went good the trailer feels much better going down the highway. Just felt more planted and I also notice a difference when set up. There doesn't seem to be as much bounce.
__________________
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #77
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcdp98 View Post
I'm not sure. I do know they were a off brand prob Chinese made but I'll run them untill they wear out then replace them with something good.
Just hope they don't explode and damage the trailer while you're trying to wear them out, which they won't do, they'll just disintegrate from 3,000-10,000 miles if you're lucky. Voice of experience!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #78
Member
 
KB3MMX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Actually, that is not true. The GVWR is calculated from the axle rating. The problem arises in not having enough available payload, but the GVWR is always within spec for the trailer.
The trailer is rated at almost 14K yet the axles are only rated to 12K.
Am I missing something ?
__________________
-Forest River Sierra 355QBQ Bunkhouse
-2007 Duramax/Allison Stage 2 Garrett Turbo W/ KB3MMX EFIlive custom tuning & lots of other goodies...
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
The trailer is rated at almost 14K yet the axles are only rated to 12K.
Am I missing something ?
I think that you will transfer about 20% to the pin. That's how they get by putting on that weight axel. You won't know until You hit the cat scales, But I could be wrong. They only give you what they can get by with. Maybe Dave_Monica will read this post he's the weight guru on our site in my opinion. Or they just put the wrong axles on, but I doubt it.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #80
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think that you will transfer about 20% to the pin. That's how they get by putting on that weight axel. You won't know until You hit the cat scales, But I could be wrong. They only give you what they can get by with. Maybe Dave_Monica will read this post he's the weight guru on our site in my opinion. Or they just put the wrong axles on, but I doubt it.

This is correct. GVWR is calculated by, Axle rating + Pin Weight = GVWR. As in the case of my 365, 12,000+2060=14,060 GVWR.
__________________

__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
365, 365 saq, axle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.