Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Battery dead again!!!

So tired of putting up my fifth wheel and go back to a dead battery a month later. We are turning off the battery switch and converter. Why does this keep happening? Also any idea what size batteries I need to go buy?
gigemags79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Are you taking about the main camper battery?
Mcnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #3

Talking**
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #4

Yes. The 2 batteries in the front compartment with the converter and auto leveler
Old 11-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

The battery model number you need should be listed on the battery somewhere, usually on top.
Also, if you live in a cold climate, it doesn't take long for the battery to go dead.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

I’m in a South Texas definitely not cold. Should I be doing something else to preserve the battery life? We had family stuff that prevented us from going out. Should I always disconnect the batteries?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #7

I had the same problem. I found out there are many devices that are still powered when you turn the factory installed battery disconnect off. take a look at the wiring attached to your battery. you will see many cables attached other than the main one going to the disconnect switch. these draw current all the time. I installed a battery disconnect on the negative terminal of the battery and rewired all those other cables to new battery disconnect so that when I turn it off, everything gets disconnected. once it did the batteries keep their charge for at least a month when I go over to exercise the generator. never had a problem since. one thing to be aware of is that you must turn the batteries on before you tow as the emergency brake system requires 12 volts from the batteries. but I have the lippert level up system, which you seem to imply that you have also. I must connect the batteries in order to operate the level up system when I am hooking up. this means I cannot hook up with the batteries connected so I am ok with power for the emergency brakes. hope this helps
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #8

Thank you guys. I’m very frustrated!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

Anytime, good luck

Tags
battery