Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Cool Bedroom lights, 2017 Sierra

Hi. My wife and I purchased a new 2017 Sierra destination trailer(393RL). We absolutely love this unit. One small thing in the bedroom has me dumbfounded. Over the bed pillows there are two lights built into a soffit. One for each person. However I cannot understand what the designers had in mind when they designed these lights into the bedroom scheme. There is ONE switch over the right side(standing at foot of bed) of the bed that operates BOTH lights. Last trailer we owned had two independent switches, one for right side light and one for left side light. Having "one switch works both" is really, really inconvenient and I would like to install a second switch and wire it for the left side light(disconnecting this light from the present single switch). I think I know what needs to be done and how(remove present switch, disconnect wire(s) going to left side light and connect to the power coming to hot side of the present switch. Then disconnect the wire(s) from left side light and connect to a second switch I would install. Then wire to the left side light. Would someone from Forest River design department care to comment on this idea such as recommendations, better how to, bad idea, etc.? If this is a plausible scenario to control the left side light, how do I go about getting a second switch(same style as current switch)? Anyone out there see this one switch control as an inconvenience? If I am way out in Center field on my thoughts on this by all means let me know. Thank you.
snoopyf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #2

Save yourself the headache. Remove the switch and wire it so that they are always on and put a cover over the hole. Then replace the lights with the kind that have the switch in them. Done. Problem solved. Our 16 has the same issue, once I FINALLY get it back from warranty work again I will probably do the same.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Bedroom Lights

Does Forrest River sell lights/switch combos for this purpose?
Old 07-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You can get them online or most any RV dealer/store. I would look online and get an LED light.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Bedroom Lights

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop249 View Post
Save yourself the headache. Remove the switch and wire it so that they are always on and put a cover over the hole. Then replace the lights with the kind that have the switch in them. Done. Problem solved. Our 16 has the same issue, once I FINALLY get it back from warranty work again I will probably do the same.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will change our lights since they now operate from one switch on the right side of the bed also.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, light, roo, sierra