Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Brakes! 2 week old = NONE

I purchase our Sierra 377 FLIK on May 5th and on the way home we had problems with the trailer saying check wiring on the truck. We figured the 7 way pin was loose. So I had a 7 way plug installed in the bed of the truck. On June 3rd I brought the trailer back home from storage and continued to have issues with the check wiring message on the way home. By the time I got home the brakes no longer functioned on the trailer. I proceeded to call Camping World in Grain Valley Missouri where I purchased the fifth wheel from and Kenny the general manager told me to call Good Sam road side assistance to have them address the wiring issue.
Good Sam sent a company out to try to fix the issue and after 3 plus hours in the hot sun still no working brakes and now and I have $445.70 bill. Kenny told me to call out Good Sam and when the company was done he would pay for it with his credit card over the phone. So the company was done and Kenny refused to pay. He told them that they where ripping him off and he would not pay. I got on the phone with Kenny and told him that he needed to pay. He said no and when I got stern with him he said what you are going to do because I am not paying. I am in the middle, I have a person that wants payment, an other guy that is refusing to pay, and I still have no resolution with my trailer.
To top it all off my kids where very disappointed because they want to go camping.
Thoughts?
Duramaxjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

Like they say on Storage Wars.....Pay the man....

Hopefully, you learned a valuable lesson, don't deal with CW. Go to an independent dealer or call a mobile RV service shop.

Sounds to me like you have a connector issue in the harness to the brake magnets.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Your member name tells me you're running a GM truck but not what model, etc. When I got that message on my GMC hookup, it was an open connection in the wiring harness under the truck... had nothing to do with the trailer or its manufacturer or its selling dealership. I crawled under the truck and found a trailer plug wiring harness connection that was folded up and cable tied so tightly it had an open circuit.

Do all your tail/brake/marker lights work?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

Think I would be paying Kenny a visit in person and also the district manager or owner. Not sure if CW are individually owned as a franchise or not. Someone would be paying me back. Or I might just be spending my time in front of or near them with a big sign. Rip offs
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Your member name tells me you're running a GM truck but not what model, etc. When I got that message on my GMC hookup, it was an open connection in the wiring harness under the truck... had nothing to do with the trailer or its manufacturer or its selling dealership. I crawled under the truck and found a trailer plug wiring harness connection that was folded up and cable tied so tightly it had an open circuit.

Do all your tail/brake/marker lights work?
Ford uses the same message readout.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
Scoundrel

There are two halves of this issue:
1) The money owed to Good Sam;
2) Being treated fairly by CW.
Pay the bill from Good Sam and get that part over with. They did the work and deserve to be paid. Secondly, however you do it (in person, through letters, an attorney?), deal with CW separately.

Good luck and congratulations on your new camper!
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

So I did pay the money to Good Sam.

Its not my truck because it has the same issue on any truck.
We tried another truck and it also did not work.

Anyone have ideas on how to get a hold of CW corporate?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxjb View Post
I purchase our Sierra 377 FLIK on May 5th and on the way home we had problems with the trailer saying check wiring on the truck. We figured the 7 way pin was loose. So I had a 7 way plug installed in the bed of the truck. On June 3rd I brought the trailer back home from storage and continued to have issues with the check wiring message on the way home. By the time I got home the brakes no longer functioned on the trailer. I proceeded to call Camping World in Grain Valley Missouri where I purchased the fifth wheel from and Kenny the general manager told me to call Good Sam road side assistance to have them address the wiring issue.
Good Sam sent a company out to try to fix the issue and after 3 plus hours in the hot sun still no working brakes and now and I have $445.70 bill. Kenny told me to call out Good Sam and when the company was done he would pay for it with his credit card over the phone. So the company was done and Kenny refused to pay. He told them that they where ripping him off and he would not pay. I got on the phone with Kenny and told him that he needed to pay. He said no and when I got stern with him he said what you are going to do because I am not paying. I am in the middle, I have a person that wants payment, an other guy that is refusing to pay, and I still have no resolution with my trailer.
To top it all off my kids where very disappointed because they want to go camping.
Thoughts?
Howdy Duramaxjb, I'm trying to follow this correctly before offering advice. Maybe you can help me understand it better.

Are you saying that the RV is at your house, and that the manager of your selling dealer told you to call Good Sam's Roadside assistance? I am also assuming since Camping World owns Good Sam, they may provide it with the purchase of a RV from them.

I knew Good Sam towed RV's into dealers or service facilities, but didn't know they would actually send a technician to your house. If so, did Good Sam make it clear you were responsible for the payment for any services rendered (whether it fixed your actual problem or not)? Did Good Sam actually dispatch a RV tech, or just provide you a list of ones in your area for you to contact and make arrangements with? I'm trying to figure out if Good Sam is even involved at this point?

Now, I'm also surmising the RV tech from what you are saying could not fix the problem and Kenny is refusing to pay even though he said he would. So who did pay the RV tech?

Have you found out if the problem is with your truck...or is it with the trailer?

I am asking cause if it's truck only related, the dealer may have a good case for not paying anything.

Can you please let me know, as I don't want to give bad suggestions, and possibly aggravate the situation more? Thank You

EDIT: I see you posted more information as I was typing.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #9

When I go out on a job(a/c) and don't fix it, I don't get paid. If it is diagnostic work I might set an estimate price and then quote the repair price. My deal is that not smart enough to fix(at least get working)...then I don't deserve payment. Now if they choose not to fix there usually is some form of charge i.e. service charge...usually if it gets past the normal service charge time and we are still unsure of the problem I will have a conversation with the customer and make a decision at that time, but we ain't $450 in. Me as a supposed service person would be ashamed to hand someone a $450 bill and no "service repair" made, but that's me and I wasn't there to hear the whole conversation.

FWIW... I think it is the truck. What happens when you pull the break away? My bet is the brakes will engage or....the wire was never connected to the battery.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #10

Are you saying that the RV is at your house, and that the manager of your selling dealer told you to call Good Sam's Roadside assistance? I am also assuming since Camping World owns Good Sam, they may provide it with the purchase of a RV from them - Yes and Yes.

Now, I'm also surmising the RV tech from what you are saying could not fix the problem and Kenny is refusing to pay even though he said he would. So who did pay the RV tech? - I did.

I am asking cause if it's truck only related, the dealer may have a good case for not paying anything. - It is not the truck it is the trailer.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

I tried to different Trucks with the same result. Pulling the break away does not lock the brakes.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
So I did pay the money to Good Sam.
Quote:

Now, I'm also surmising the RV tech from what you are saying could not fix the problem and Kenny is refusing to pay even though he said he would. So who did pay the RV tech? - I did.
I'm still confused (no surprise though the older I get).

Did you pay the money to Good Sam as per your first quote above, or to the tech directly, as per your second quote?

I'm still wondering just where Good Sam sits in this as to your recourse.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #13

I paid the tech.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

This is a fascinating situation, though lousy for the OP. I was going to make a suggestion to rule out your truck and confirm that its the trailer. I realize you tried multiple trucks and had the same result, but, even though it is unlikely, it is possible there is a problem with your truck and with the trailer.

Do you know someone that also has a 5th wheel? It would be a pain but something that I thought of would be to switch trailers. What I mean is, you hook up to their 5th wheel and they hook up to yours. Then check the results.

One of those scenarios wont work (in theory), and that will identify the issue (truck or trailer). But, if both scenarios don't work, or both scenarios do work, then you have your hands full because it will mean separate issues (something on your truck, and a different issue on your trailer).

Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I paid the tech.
OK, good that clears up a lot. Good Sam is not involved now, nor is the tech awaiting payment.

You may can use this CW contact page here:

https://www.campingworld.com/contact/contactus.cfm

I did see they have as an option, a comments and complaint resolution hotline.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

Salesmen will tell you anything to get rid of you
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #17

Good news..

CW sent a tech to the house.

The wires where crossed at the axles. So the 1 blue wire leave the junction box at the fifth wheel hitch and comes all the way back to axles where they split the wires and then goes to each axle. One of the axles the wires where connected backwards.

So causing a short is what I believe.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Good news..

The wires where crossed at the axles. So the 1 blue wire leave the junction box at the fifth wheel hitch and comes all the way back to axles where they split the wires and then goes to each axle. One of the axles the wires where connected backwards.

Great to hear. Can we ask who you did contact (national CW or your dealer) to get this done... in case it may help a future member with same problem?

That was mighty quick.

Any resolution on the money spent on the original tech?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #19

It was the local dealer.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
D W

Quote:
Good news..

Glad your problem is solved. So with the wires connected backwards, this rig never had brakes, right? Did you verify that the break-away control now works? We already know Kenny's name, but please post the name of the Jesse James character that ripped you off for $450.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes