Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #21

Going to try and install it today. The instructions say mark position of bracket on side of RV. Then reposition cradle assembly 1\4" above marks. So I guess put it tight against awning then mark and drill 1/4 inch above that mark. I just don't want to drill a hole in my new RV and it be wrong. Lol
tumbleweed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobichaud View Post
I realized I didn't ask about the center support before hitting send. Haha.

My 365 has the electric awning and it's 21' long. Since I will have this unit seasonal I leave the awning extended for the summer. I ordered and am having the dealer install the center leg support and dafter to keep the awning taunt. The part installed was quoted at $175

I wanted to ask if anyone has had this installed and their experiences. I have read issues with the awnings rolling up with wrinkles and the awning roll bad bowing over time and I wanted to avoid that from happening. I also assume the support brackets will have the support for when the awning is rolled up.

I appreciate any thoughts from the members. Once I have installed I will get back w pics.
I had an A&E awning and it was 20' long. I called A&E because I was having some problems with my awning, the first thing they ask me was did I have a center support and I said no, my rig came from the factory with out one.
Well they told me that an awning 20' or long should came with a center support so I question the dealer about it, why was it not order with one and the dealer told the rigs are ordered that because of cost, now can you believe that?
I did have one installed and it was on me.

May I suggest not to leave your awning open while you are away you will be sorry. You are looking at about 1,200 bucks to have it replaced if the wind or heavy rain gets a hold of it and it cause more damage to other parts of your camper.

As far as a saggy awning, from time to time your awning has to be adjusted and I recommend taking it to the dealer for this, if you don't know what you are doing you can get hurt and the same go's for slid out toppers.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #23

Rockwood06, earlier in the thread it was recommended I get the pole kit from OC and strap the corners down. I am at a seasonal site and have left my awnings out all the time with nonissue. Of course I do one side and used a hurricane strap plus detached one of the awning legs and cleared it to the deck.

However this type is awning is new to me. I read they have been designed to flex more than the traditional. I have the dealer installing the center support and rafter (tumbleweed is installing one today). Was hoping w the center support, OC pole kit and the corner straps I would be fine. The later native is to remove the center support and rafter each weekend and retract the awning.
Seems like a lot of work.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed1 View Post
Going to try and install it today. The instructions say mark position of bracket on side of RV. Then reposition cradle assembly 1\4" above marks. So I guess put it tight against awning then mark and drill 1/4 inch above that mark. I just don't want to drill a hole in my new RV and it be wrong. Lol
You'll be good! That's exactly what I did with no problems. The cradle tips forward as the awning rolls out and stays in that position. As you roll up it 'catches' it and returns to resting position. If your awning it already starting to flex then push it up a little tighter before you mark the holes. I did not use the backer plate. I drilled first to see what was there on the bracket holes first. Worst case I would end up using the plate which would cover the holes anyway. The chances of getting a stud if you are centering it on your awning are slim to none. The side of the camper is thin but there's plywood there. Albeit probably 3/8. Mine anchored very nicely without the plate but I did keep the plate and rivets should I have a problem later I can use it. Hope your install went well!
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #25

String across the roller tube Top if you want to remove the Sag before marking holes. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #26

Got-R-Done Thanks for the good info too!:thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391381000717.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	45731  
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #27

Nice work indeed
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #28

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobichaud View Post
Rockwood06, earlier in the thread it was recommended I get the pole kit from OC and strap the corners down. I am at a seasonal site and have left my awnings out all the time with nonissue. Of course I do one side and used a hurricane strap plus detached one of the awning legs and cleared it to the deck.

However this type is awning is new to me. I read they have been designed to flex more than the traditional. I have the dealer installing the center support and rafter (tumbleweed is installing one today). Was hoping w the center support, OC pole kit and the corner straps I would be fine. The later native is to remove the center support and rafter each weekend and retract the awning.
Seems like a lot of work.
I understand, but I believe in Murphy's Law. I camp a lot in Hershey PA and I have seen winds just pop up and next thing you see awnings torn apart and the awnings had straps on both sides and some of the awnings were pulled right out of the side of the camper.
I have lost two awnings, one from wind and the other from heavy rain and I am not new at camping, so now at the first sign of wind or storm clouds my awning gets rolled up while I am there.
I all so have an annual site and the awning is rolled up before I leave and all of my stuff is secured.
If your annual site is under or around trees you could end up with a limb piercing your awning as well.
This some of the things that has happen to me and things that I have seen, but seems like you have it under control
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #30

Here is the Carefree Awning Support that I have on our 365. We had one on our 355QBQ and put one on the 365 before we left the lot. Still has a slight bow to it from coming from factory and traveling that far without one. Most dealers around here suggest one when an awning is over 16 feet in length.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #31

Looks good! I may have to paint mine!:thumbup:

Tags
awning