Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 AM   #1

Center awning support

I haven't taken delivery of my '14 365saq but after reading the forums I have made check lists and notes to many of the issues and concerns the forum have experienced. I am now prepared to walk through the unit in great detail. Even my 10 year old is excited to be there!!!

I scheduled my pdi a month in advance of my delivery date and the dealer seemed surprised because initially she was trying to schedule days before delivery. I explained I anticipate there to be items and wanted to leave enough time to repair/address any found issued while the unit was still there. After a couple of explainations she agreed to book a month out.

Maybe she thought the unit would be without flaws or maybe she wanted to schedule the clean and prep close so they don't have to wash it a second time? Either way she agreed.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #2

I realized I didn't ask about the center support before hitting send. Haha.

My 365 has the electric awning and it's 21' long. Since I will have this unit seasonal I leave the awning extended for the summer. I ordered and am having the dealer install the center leg support and dafter to keep the awning taunt. The part installed was quoted at $175

I wanted to ask if anyone has had this installed and their experiences. I have read issues with the awnings rolling up with wrinkles and the awning roll bad bowing over time and I wanted to avoid that from happening. I also assume the support brackets will have the support for when the awning is rolled up.

I appreciate any thoughts from the members. Once I have installed I will get back w pics.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #3

The awning on my camper is about the same length. It is electric as well. I didn't know that there was a center support as there are no support posts on the ends. The tube did bow some from when it is rolled up and assuming it is bouncing while going down the road. With the bow in the middle I do get a little wrinkling affect when it rolls up but not hardly noticable. I had our local RV dealer attach a support bracket on the side of the coach to support the middle and eliminate any further bowing while it is rolled u. Cost was about $38. If you find out about the center support please let me know.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Since you are seasonal and leaving the awning out for the year,buy a (OC Pole Kit) for the ends of your awning,and support the center with either the travel & deploy type support or make you own for just the seasonal use! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #5

After looking at your unit due to (Door,Vents,Window) placement you may only be able to install the little (Rock & Roll) support for travel. Youroo!!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

I have a '13 365saq. The awning roller did start to saq a little throughout this past season. We don't leave it out thru the week. I bought and installed the center support cradle that mounts on the side of the camper itself and supports the awning when rolled up and therefore while traveling when it's going to bounce likely adding to the problem. The fabric was starting to roll unevenly too and pulling the awning arms to one side. My dealer adjusted the fabric and now it's fine. I've heard a center support is recommended for awnings over 16'. It certainly couldn't hurt. I would totally recommend this and if you are going to leave it out I think you will encounter problems unless its supported then too.
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Thanks all! I will look onto the OC pole kit. Since the arms do not come off the camper, I would feel better with supports on the ends.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobichaud View Post
Thanks all! I will look onto the OC pole kit. Since the arms do not come off the camper, I would feel better with supports on the ends.
His Poles are listed in the (Classified) section of this Forum. Youroo!!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Greetings guys! if you don't mind me asking, was the center support easy to do?
mine is starting to sag already in the center. Thanks for your help!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
The cradle I mounted to the camper was very simple to install. Couple of screws. I siliconed the back of the plate a little before mounting. It came bare aluminum bracket and the cradle was a composite material. All one piece out of the box. I spray primed and gave it a couple of coats of white enamel. Got mine from Camping World (photo from site) but PPL Motorhomes has a similar one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3520546789.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45602
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Thanks a lot 5erDriver! I guess there's always a first time (scare) to drill in the fiberglass!
DW ok'd the purchase, we're heading tomorrow to camping world to get it.
(and they have a great sale too)
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

I don't recommend leaving the electric awning out 24-7 all season long unless you have old coots poles as noted above.

That being said I had a non-electric canopy 19 on the old trailer with the center and side supports engaged and locked to the ground. Along came a strong wind, knocking the roof portion of the support (anti-sag) out of the hole in the roller tube and through the awning. Yup nice Big hole there! On the good side it was the search for a new awning that got me a knew Trailer instead!....Love that Ebay!

Warm weather ahead....er somewhere....
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip on the poles and never thought of the center support cutting into the awning. I sent a note to OC about a set of poles.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Most of the F/R units are (Bonded Sides) very THIN skin.Also finding a Stud in the proper location for your support is not Guaranteed. I used a 6x6 stainless plate with (2) fasteners at the top,right under the drip rail,and two rivet fasteners on the bottom. I then mounted the (cradle support) to this plate. That assures a solid base for the cradle assy. Youroo!!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #15

Yes. Agreed. The cradle I got from camping world includes a steel backer plate if you wish to use it. It is Dometic
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #16

Yeh. The Dometic cradle from CW comes with a metal backer plate and rivets if you choose to use it
Old 01-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #17

After reading this I think I'll get an awning support too!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #18

Great idea tumbleweed. I have had campers for 15 years and always installed on. The 21' awnings need the support. Plus, unfortunately they don't make em like they used to
Old 02-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #19

Went to Camping World today and bought one.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #20

Good luck w install tumbleweed. Should be fairly straight forward install for you. Feel free to send pics of your finished job.

Tags
awning