Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #1

Converter

Recently on a trip I lost my converter. I bought two additional batteries and a charger and rotated the three batteries in and out of system. I tried to find my converter and I looked everywhere with no luck. I have a 2012 Sierra 330 RL. Anybody have any idea where the converter is?
jas1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Most are Real close to the Refer at Floor level! Behind a little Plastic Flip down door! If your Refer is in a slide Keep Looking at "Floor Level"! Youroo!!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

don't know where you've checked so far, but is there an island in your kitchen? might be under one end.

btw, how did you determine that you 'lost' your converter?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #4

Battery does not hold a charge. Traveled for five hours and the battery in system was dead. My Rv service guy back home told me the electrical works off a 12 volt DC system. He said if the battery does not have power then the whole electrical won't work. After looking for the converter unsuccessfully I bought two additional batteries and just kept them charged up. I am home now and I would like to find the converter to see if the reverse polarity fuse has been blown.'
Old 07-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #5

Have you found the Fuse Panel? Usually the converter is mounted in the lower portion of this power distribution unit,

Remove the front panel and the converter should reveal itself.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Coach

Ours is behind the rear panel in the basement.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Team

The most installations, the converter is next to, behind or under the distribution panel ( fuses and breakers). If you haven't found it, are you sure it is bad. Could be something simple like a fuse or breaker.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1972 View Post
Battery does not hold a charge. Traveled for five hours and the battery in system was dead. My Rv service guy back home told me the electrical works off a 12 volt DC system. He said if the battery does not have power then the whole electrical won't work. After looking for the converter unsuccessfully I bought two additional batteries and just kept them charged up. I am home now and I would like to find the converter to see if the reverse polarity fuse has been blown.'

Only the things in your RV that work off of 12 volt DC, use the battery. You have a 120 volt AC system also in your RV, which also includes the converter (which converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC). The 120 volt AC items have to have a form of 120 volt AC shore power/generator.

This thread may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-152813.html

Your converter is your battery charger, but it also has to have 120 volt AC to work (the converter does not recharge the battery while you are towing). Are you plugging into shore power anywhere?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas1972 View Post

With the reply's you have gotten, I hope you take the link that wmtire gave you to your RV service guy and tell him to read up. You should be looking for a new service guy.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM   #10

Thanks to all

The response I have received has been awesome. As you guys can tell I am new to the RV world and rely on people I know for information. The post on the two different electrical systems in an RV were excellent. Gives me an avenue of of insight where I am able to make some sound judgements. Thank you to all.

Tags
converter