Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 AM   #1

Dometic Penguin Brisk Air Low Profile

In an earlier post I inquired about the 2nd ac on the '14 365saq. Many thanks for the replies. Here is what I found out from my dealer.

He recommended the 13.5k Dometic Penguin Brisk Air II Low Profile. Due to the high profile of the rig, he suggested that. He quoted $1500 installed for the job which included the upper unit and the inside grille. It was strange they would come as two parts but I guess it makes sense for those who are replacing the unit and only need the upper. His instep price was only $200 which I felt was very reasonable.

After discussing the options I decided this was the best for my situation. I haggled a bit over price. He called back and said dometic currently has rebates on the unit he was happy to pass along (honest dealer). This saved me $200 making the total job $1289. I haven't taken delivery yet and wanted the unit installed prior so I can check for leaks before pdi.

So for anyone considering this ac unit now is the time to take advantage of the current rebates.

I also wanted to ask the forum if anyone has experience with this dometic penguin low profile brisk air II unit.

I mentioned to my dealer about noise complains on the 13.5 vs 15k units. He said dometic has made design changes on the low profile to contain noise.

I will update the forum once I get reap results. Thanks all.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hate to burst your bubble, but I can get the 13.5 penguin with ceiling panel delivered for under $700. Of course that's not installed, but it's only a couple hours, start to finish for 1 guy. A regular 13.5 unit delivered is under $500. As I stated before, if the regular profile unit isn't any higher than the main unit, I think it's throwing away money. I would only use low profile if that was going to be the tallest point of the camper and on a 365 it isn't, at least not enough to make a difference.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

I have installed a second Dometic 15K on our unit. It came with only one but was plumbed and wired for the second one. We burned up at the beach with the one. The dealer quoted $1450 installed. I shopped around online and Adventure RV had the unit for $600 new and free air freight to my house. Our local RV dealer installed it for $150. Saved $700. Might be worth looking into.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I bought mine from adventurerv.net also.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

hmmm, I appreciate the info. I guess he isn't giving me the best deal after all. I will look into getting one delivered and perhaps tackle the job myself. Is there anything I need to be concerned with while removing the existing skylight? I don't want to mess it up and get stuck with a leak! That was part of the reason for having the dealer install the unit. Any thoughts are appreciated on the install.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The vent is easily removable, use a heat gun and putty knife to scape the caulk off. You will need a 6" roof kit also(longer bolts). The installation of A/C is easy and straight forward. Getting it on the roof is the most difficult part. Without a lift it takes a little ingenuity.

Tags
dometic