Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #11

So I got my unit home and I have been running a test today. It's 30 outside and the furnace has been running non stop for 3 hours. It did get up to 59 in the main room but now that the sun is setting it is slowly dropping. I have a temperature logger and will leave the heat on until 10pm to see what it will do. At this point I think I will be adding a buddy heater to the back bedroom for the kids and the heat should trickle up to the bedroom.

Has anyone else used their camper in sub 40 degree weather?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #12

I guess I may have missed it, but if possible, take a good thermometer out and test the air temp coming out of the vents. Then, if possible, take a reading right at the furnace output(might have to poke a small hole in the tube and tape up after words) . Also, as I thinks others noted, make sure there are no kinks or sharp bends in the supply hose and check for leaks where you can. I have pulled the access cover off in the basement of our Sabre and there is plenty of room to do some inspecting. Good luck. Doesn't seem right if you ask me. My Sabre heats up rather quickly. It is a couple feet shorter than yours I think, but our first night near the dealer was 18d out, 30d when we first got to our campsite, and it warmed up to 68 in less than an hour. We do run one edenpure space heater.

jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

When heating our trailer in cold temp -3c or 26f we will use about 30lb of LP in 5 to 6 days. If you used that much LP in 2 nights there is a problem with your unit. If you find the floor cold try purchasing some inexpensive mats to put down on the floor. Hang blankets over doors at night (this will help reduce drafts from door). If you are planning on a lot of cold weather camping you might want to install plastic over the windows. We also found that when winter camping if we ran a dehumidifier it help keep the trailer warmer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #14

I'm not sure what to do. I used my inferred temp gun and the registers were between 108-128. I know the 9' ceilings don't help but I would think it could keep temp. I just went and plugged it in to see if the increase in fan speed helps. One thing I did notice is I heard the burner ignite which means it's getting to hot. So it can be either the fan isn't blowing hard enough (i do have 2 golf cart batteries) Or I noticed it only has 4 tubes coming out and 1 is not being used. I wonder if adding another register would help?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #15

I have the same unit and have camped 5 nights this spring most well below freezing and did not go threw one bottle. We use a small heater in the master bedroom because there is very little air flow from vent. Other then that we are comfortable. For your out side kitchen when you de-winterize close the two valves under the sink in the second bathroom. This will leave the anti freeze in the lines going to the out side kitchen and you will be able to use the rest of the coach.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufinit View Post
So I got my unit home and I have been running a test today. It's 30 outside and the furnace has been running non stop for 3 hours. It did get up to 59 in the main room but now that the sun is setting it is slowly dropping. I have a temperature logger and will leave the heat on until 10pm to see what it will do. At this point I think I will be adding a buddy heater to the back bedroom for the kids and the heat should trickle up to the bedroom.

Has anyone else used their camper in sub 40 degree weather?
That does seem odd. Are you getting good airflow from the vents. Ours was clogged once in the furnace, but it was an easy fix. Rooms should warm up better than 59 degrees with constant running. Floors can stay nippy unless you have Polar Pack insulation for winter. As I mentioned, we use space heaters...and warm slippers for the nippy floors. I agree with others who think something could be wrong.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
That does seem odd. Are you getting good airflow from the vents. Ours was clogged once in the furnace, but it was an easy fix. Rooms should warm up better than 59 degrees with constant running. Floors can stay nippy unless you have Polar Pack insulation for winter. As I mentioned, we use space heaters...and warm slippers for the nippy floors. I agree with others who think something could be wrong.
Good is relative if I put my hand 4' above the floor I can barely feel the air in the bunk rom. I do have the upgraded insulation. I got a mr heater big buddy and it helped a bunch. I don't plan on camping in it when it's cold but I need to be ready in case it happens to get below freezing.

Do you know how much air is discharged to the tanks in the belly?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
MI Camperz

I don't even know what that means. LOL
Check inside the furnace for a clog. Just take off the front cover and look.
When we did that, we saw insulation in the compartment that was obstructing air flow. Seems in days past, a mouse made a nest of insulation.
Now, I'm a freak about mouse prevention. I'm not much help. Am not very technical. I'm the DW, not the DH. I try.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #19

That's interesting, longer Georgetowns have two heaters for a total of 55,000 BTU capacity. I think however somewhere under the floor a distribution hose is is loose or adrift. Even 35,000 BTU's is enough energy to heat a small home. Your heat is escaping somehow. If the heater flow was too low the "sail switch" would take it off line for lack of safe cooling air across the heat exchanger. Maybe your thermo gun can help by finding local areas of warm floor or take readings underneath? Sounds big, should be easier to find.