Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Freezing in Sierra 355RE

I have a 2016 Sierra 355RE my living and kitchen areas are cold because the heater puts out all most all the hot air in bedroom and bathroom. There is hardly any air flow in the living room, anyone else have this problem if so what have done to solve it? The heater runs almost all the time in 30* weather, I think they forgot to put any insulation in this trailer. Don't buy the 355RE, I know I will burn up summer
__________________

Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,880
There have been some folks that have found that the duct work is not connected right and warm air not getting to where it should, I would try to check what you can, one person found a open end on a duct that was a couple of inches from his back wall.
__________________

dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 6,560
On our Rockwood one of our ducts (4" solver hose type) was smashed flat under a drawer and another was not connected to the heater...
__________________

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 9,896
Ducts can easily get crushed or not connected during assembly.
They don't check air flow.

As mentioned, many have had to repair or replace.

Sometimes you can put in registers that have a baffle built in them to block some of the flow at high output areas and create more flow at the others.
Just be careful you do not restrict the flow to where the furnace hits the the high temp limit because of poor air flow.

Other folks have added additional ducts off the furnace.

There are many things you can do to improve your situation if you are able and can spend a little time doing so.

Get yourself an electric space heater to supplement the living/kitchen areas.
That's why many now come with a fireplace.

The furnace is going to run pretty much all the time at 30 regardless.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefatman View Post
I have a 2016 Sierra 355RE my living and kitchen areas are cold because the heater puts out all most all the hot air in bedroom and bathroom. There is hardly any air flow in the living room, anyone else have this problem if so what have done to solve it? The heater runs almost all the time in 30* weather, I think they forgot to put any insulation in this trailer. Don't buy the 355RE, I know I will burn up summer


Lol this is the exact reason well one of them that i got rid of my sandpiper! You cant heat them or cool them.
I actually added a third ac to the sandpiper to cool it.

I have since traded my 17 sandpiper for a 17 keystone alpine.
I can run the heatpump and fireplace and be warm in ~30 degree nights.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Lol this is the exact reason well one of them that i got rid of my sandpiper! You cant heat them or cool them.
I actually added a third ac to the sandpiper to cool it.

I have since traded my 17 sandpiper for a 17 keystone alpine.
I can run the heatpump and fireplace and be warm in ~30 degree nights.
I just got this lemon I wish had talked to you first. It should be a law against ripping people off like this, unlike you I can't afford to trade.
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefatman View Post
I just got this lemon I wish had talked to you first. It should be a law against ripping people off like this, unlike you I can't afford to trade.


I know the lemon law doesnt apply at least in nc to trailers.


I have tried adding 4" duct fans to force the air in the floor ducts which helped. It took heat away from the bedroom but heat rises.

I can help you if you need to figre out how to do that.

Yea we really didnt lose anything on our sandpiper because i drove to ohio to get it at a wholesaler. We traded for 1000.00 more than i paid for it.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
I know the lemon law doesnt apply at least in nc to trailers.


I have tried adding 4" duct fans to force the air in the floor ducts which helped. It took heat away from the bedroom but heat rises.

I can help you if you need to figre out how to do that.

Yea we really didnt lose anything on our sandpiper because i drove to ohio to get it at a wholesaler. We traded for 1000.00 more than i paid for it.
Actually. Lemon laws don't apply to campers at all. Anywhere. Can you say lobbyists. Sure you can. I know you can. Say it with me.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
I know the lemon law doesnt apply at least in nc to trailers.


I have tried adding 4" duct fans to force the air in the floor ducts which helped. It took heat away from the bedroom but heat rises.

I can help you if you need to figre out how to do that.

Yea we really didnt lose anything on our sandpiper because i drove to ohio to get it at a wholesaler. We traded for 1000.00 more than i paid for it.
Happy to here you did good on your trade. I would love to hear how to add the 4" duct fans, anything we can do to help make this situation better I'am willing to try. Thanks for your time and advice.
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefatman View Post
Happy to here you did good on your trade. I would love to hear how to add the 4" duct fans, anything we can do to help make this situation better I'am willing to try. Thanks for your time and advice.


I bought 2 4" rule 240 fans off amazon and i cut the two ducts going to the rear of the camper.

You will have to pull down the compartment panels to access the furnace.

I actually took the furnace out to access the blower motor to wire a relay off the fan.

Doing it like that when the furnace fan ran so would the 4" duct booster fans.

I was going to cut in an extra floor register so i could get more airflow to the living area away from the bedroom. Bu i sold before that happened.


It would be great as well if you could get to the bottom side and put a vent in the underbelly to heat the tanks. By using the fans there is more than enough air flow to do this.

If you will notice when your furnace is running the floor vent tempatures are close to or right around 160 degrees. The over limit temp switch is set for 160 degrees. These furnaces in the campers dont have enoigh air flow thru them so the limit switch it cutting the burner off early.

This is not how these furnaces ate designed and will not last.
__________________

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sierra

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.