Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Freezing in Sierra 355RE

I have a 2016 Sierra 355RE my living and kitchen areas are cold because the heater puts out all most all the hot air in bedroom and bathroom. There is hardly any air flow in the living room, anyone else have this problem if so what have done to solve it? The heater runs almost all the time in 30* weather, I think they forgot to put any insulation in this trailer. Don't buy the 355RE, I know I will burn up summer
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #2

There have been some folks that have found that the duct work is not connected right and warm air not getting to where it should, I would try to check what you can, one person found a open end on a duct that was a couple of inches from his back wall.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

On our Rockwood one of our ducts (4" solver hose type) was smashed flat under a drawer and another was not connected to the heater...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Ducts can easily get crushed or not connected during assembly.
They don't check air flow.

As mentioned, many have had to repair or replace.

Sometimes you can put in registers that have a baffle built in them to block some of the flow at high output areas and create more flow at the others.
Just be careful you do not restrict the flow to where the furnace hits the the high temp limit because of poor air flow.

Other folks have added additional ducts off the furnace.

There are many things you can do to improve your situation if you are able and can spend a little time doing so.

Get yourself an electric space heater to supplement the living/kitchen areas.
That's why many now come with a fireplace.

The furnace is going to run pretty much all the time at 30º regardless.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefatman View Post
I have a 2016 Sierra 355RE my living and kitchen areas are cold because the heater puts out all most all the hot air in bedroom and bathroom. There is hardly any air flow in the living room, anyone else have this problem if so what have done to solve it? The heater runs almost all the time in 30* weather, I think they forgot to put any insulation in this trailer. Don't buy the 355RE, I know I will burn up summer

Lol this is the exact reason well one of them that i got rid of my sandpiper! You cant heat them or cool them.
I actually added a third ac to the sandpiper to cool it.

I have since traded my 17 sandpiper for a 17 keystone alpine.
I can run the heatpump and fireplace and be warm in ~30 degree nights.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Lol this is the exact reason well one of them that i got rid of my sandpiper! You cant heat them or cool them.
I actually added a third ac to the sandpiper to cool it.

I have since traded my 17 sandpiper for a 17 keystone alpine.
I can run the heatpump and fireplace and be warm in ~30 degree nights.
I just got this lemon I wish had talked to you first. It should be a law against ripping people off like this, unlike you I can't afford to trade.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I just got this lemon I wish had talked to you first. It should be a law against ripping people off like this, unlike you I can't afford to trade.

I know the lemon law doesnt apply at least in nc to trailers.

I have tried adding 4" duct fans to force the air in the floor ducts which helped. It took heat away from the bedroom but heat rises.

I can help you if you need to figre out how to do that.

Yea we really didnt lose anything on our sandpiper because i drove to ohio to get it at a wholesaler. We traded for 1000.00 more than i paid for it.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:

I have tried adding 4" duct fans to force the air in the floor ducts which helped. It took heat away from the bedroom but heat rises.

Yea we really didnt lose anything on our sandpiper because i drove to ohio to get it at a wholesaler. We traded for 1000.00 more than i paid for it.
Actually. Lemon laws don't apply to campers at all. Anywhere. Can you say lobbyists. Sure you can. I know you can. Say it with me.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Quote:

Happy to here you did good on your trade. I would love to hear how to add the 4" duct fans, anything we can do to help make this situation better I'am willing to try. Thanks for your time and advice.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Happy to here you did good on your trade. I would love to hear how to add the 4" duct fans, anything we can do to help make this situation better I'am willing to try. Thanks for your time and advice.

I bought 2 4" rule 240 fans off amazon and i cut the two ducts going to the rear of the camper.

You will have to pull down the compartment panels to access the furnace.

I actually took the furnace out to access the blower motor to wire a relay off the fan.

Doing it like that when the furnace fan ran so would the 4" duct booster fans.

I was going to cut in an extra floor register so i could get more airflow to the living area away from the bedroom. Bu i sold before that happened.

It would be great as well if you could get to the bottom side and put a vent in the underbelly to heat the tanks. By using the fans there is more than enough air flow to do this.

If you will notice when your furnace is running the floor vent tempatures are close to or right around 160 degrees. The over limit temp switch is set for 160 degrees. These furnaces in the campers dont have enoigh air flow thru them so the limit switch it cutting the burner off early.

This is not how these furnaces ate designed and will not last.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Even if you could afford to trade, WHY would you want to waste ur money doing so? Make the BASTARDS who put it together WRONGto FIX IT, FREE of charge!. IMMEDIATELYT!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #12

I would really try to check the vent attachment at the furnace, and any flow out of the kitchen and living room vents before adding inline fans. My 286rbl puts plenty out toboth areas. I have a throw rug over one vent in the living room and the furnace raises it off the floor when it comes on. I only use it to take the chill off. Use two space heaters normally to heat it in Michigan winters when I use it.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Getting back on topic. The trailer in question is not a certified 4 season trailer. A simple solution is too check routing off the furnace. Make sure the rear most ducts are not split off. I changed my Rockwood and was able to get less heat in the bath and more in the back. In one case the duct melted right at the furnace.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #14

Looking at the Sierra 355RE layout, I don't know how you'd expect to warm that area without a second heater. All glass on a major slide out/5 slide outs? Did you express you wanted 4 seasons when you were looking?

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Even if you could afford to trade, WHY would you want to waste ur money doing so? Make the BASTARDS who put it together WRONGto FIX IT, FREE of charge!. IMMEDIATELYT!
Ha ha! The easy stuff they'll fix, major stuff like the a/c and such you're on your own regardless of FR providing you a recall notification and your unit falling within the serial numbers.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra